• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

T1x MTR vs. B14r

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Looking to upgrade to higher quality rifle from my Savage FVSR, the Savage shoots great but the pic rail was drilled just a hair canted on the receiver making my windage about 3 mils left of all my other guns when I swap scopes and it bugs me, also effects my head placement a little bit. I am going to keep the Savage and put in in a hunting stock.
I am wondering if I should go with the T1x MTR and put it in a Bravo or go with the Bergara in the Bergara adjustable stock?
Can anyone share their experiences? Thanks.

All I can say is that my stock B14R shoots as well as my V22. Sure it's not as refined but I doubt you will notice.
I do because I used to machine for a living. I considered changing the stock for a MDT chassis but that thought passed quickly.
I put a Vudoo bolt knob on the B14R and may in time change the trigger. For $950.00, mine shoots pretty good. Meaning .34" ctc
groups while at Lapua shooting 50 meters and I can duplicate those groups when on the bench. The last photo is of a new target I was trying out. I like the one shot per bull. If I don't shoot one shot I simply use my cross hair lined up to the horizontal and vertical lines on the target.
Mine also has an EGW $30.00 scope rail and it works fine. I decided against the $100.00 steel rail.

Attachments

• 7-21-21-A.jpg
    7-21-21-A.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 10 SHOTS @ 50 YARDS  .34 CTC.jpg
    10 SHOTS @ 50 YARDS .34 CTC.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 114
  • NEW TARGET.jpg
    NEW TARGET.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 107
I'd go with a CZ 457 in a Bravo. CZ 457 has just been more reliable. The T1X's always suffer from an ejection issue eventually due to the design and that little spring getting loose.

The CZ 457 MTR is around $750 if you want to guarantee yourself a match barrel, otherwise the standard 457's are lottery barrels but they're never worse than a RPRR :)

B14R is clunky feeling imo. Everyone of my friends who got a B14R went back to their CZ 457.

If you're looking into bolt-actions, checkout my thread on the Christensen Arms Ranger 22. Despite reading a fair bit of mixed reviews on them, I've been more than impressed, and very satisfied with my purchase.

I went with a B14r barreled action for the simple fact that if I wanted to upgrade to a RimX or Vudoo, all I have to do is swap the parts over and sell the B14r. As it stands now, I just have a B14r with top-tier components. When friends ask about buying a rimfire that doesn't break the bank, I suggest T1x in a Bravo, or Area 419's Fully-Loaded CZ457 MTR.

I went with a B14r barreled action for the simple fact that if I wanted to upgrade to a RimX or Vudoo, all I have to do is swap the parts over and sell the B14r. As it stands now, I just have a B14r with top-tier components. When friends ask about buying a rimfire that doesn't break the bank, I suggest T1x in a Bravo, or Area 419's Fully-Loaded CZ457 MTR.

Very true around the components. I went with the CZ 457 MTR because it's just a great rifle that can be used for kids and new shooters when you do upgrade to a Vudoo/RimX. But if your goal is to hit the ground running and do all the R700 parts the B14R is not a bad way to start at a $650 Barreled Action.

Owned 4 b14 carbin fibers. Prettiest gun on the marker.

1 steel bergara
32 cz 457s in the last 2 yrs
2 tikka t1x

Only regrets I have sold are 2 cz 457s precision trainers with a 16in barrel and 1 custom cz in a mpa/lilia fashion.

Nothing has out shot any of my vudoos. But the closest is the cz/mpa/lilia and the second is the steel bergaras. I live the carbon fiber looks but they need a 419 hellfire break to help them out.

4 cz mtrs and while I read stellar reports none of their factory barrels where nearly as consistant as the 16in varmint barrels.

In short. If you want a 90 degree trainer bergara. If you want a 60 then cz precision 16in barrel.

Everything is a battle for 2nd place to a vudoo

Reactions: jLorenzo
I should mention that my B14 is steel and I have had zero issues with it. It is a little clunky but my V22 dressed out at 18 pounds. My MTR always has cold bore problems. I really like the weight, bulky size and feel of the MTR but the cold bore is really disconcerting. The only gun I had that out shot my B14R was a 27"bbl Anschutz 54 Match. I just got this Win 52 but so far she seems to be a good shooter as well. I have yet to properly scope her though. A 29 power ATHLON doesn't hold a candle to 50X Trijicon. I'm getting a Springfield 1922 M2 on Friday. Does anybody know of a way to put a PIC rail on that gun if it's not D&T? My first .22LR was a RRPR and within a year I had a V22. At first I like the RRPR but later I was really happy to see it go. I worked on it's trigger just like I have my three CZ457s but I had to let her go.

Attachments

• VUDOO V22.JPG
    VUDOO V22.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 67
  • WIN 52 CLEANED.jpg
    WIN 52 CLEANED.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 64
  • WIN 52 COCKED.jpg
    WIN 52 COCKED.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 79
  • WIN 52 SIGHT CLEANED.jpg
    WIN 52 SIGHT CLEANED.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC09768.JPG
    DSC09768.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Doctorwho1138
I should mention that my B14 is steel and I have had zero issues with it. It is a little clunky but my V22 dressed out at 18 pounds. My MTR always has cold bore problems. I really like the weight, bulky size and feel of the MTR but the cold bore is really disconcerting. The only gun I had that out shot my B14R was a 27"bbl Anschutz 54 Match. I just got this Win 52 but so far she seems to be a good shooter as well. I have yet to properly scope her though. A 29 power ATHLON doesn't hold a candle to 50X Trijicon. I'm getting a Springfield 1922 M2 on Friday. Does anybody know of a way to put a PIC rail on that gun if it's not D&T? My first .22LR was a RRPR and within a year I had a V22. At first I like the RRPR but later I was really happy to see it go. I worked on it's trigger just like I have my three CZ457s but I had to let her go.

Have you cleaned that MTR and gotten rid of the carbon ring?

I'd go with a CZ 457 in a Bravo. CZ 457 has just been more reliable. The T1X's always suffer from an ejection issue eventually due to the design and that little spring getting loose.

The CZ 457 MTR is around $750 if you want to guarantee yourself a match barrel, otherwise the standard 457's are lottery barrels but they're never worse than a RPRR :)

B14R is clunky feeling imo. Everyone of my friends who got a B14R went back to their CZ 457.
I went from a CZ457 to a T1X because of ejection issues with the CZ.
T1X has been flawless in thousands of rounds and less picky on ammo with respect to accuracy.

Looking to upgrade to higher quality rifle from my Savage FVSR, the Savage shoots great but the pic rail was drilled just a hair canted on the receiver making my windage about 3 mils left of all my other guns when I swap scopes and it bugs me, also effects my head placement a little bit. I am going to keep the Savage and put in in a hunting stock.
I am wondering if I should go with the T1x MTR and put it in a Bravo or go with the Bergara in the Bergara adjustable stock?
Can anyone share their experiences? Thanks.
I have both. B14R in factory stock and a T1x in a Bravo. Both shoot great. I would give the edge to the B14R, due to 700 parts. I replaced my trigger with Trigger Tech Diamond.
Mark

Reactions: jLorenzo
You'll come out about the same cost-wise for either option. The difference being, the TIkka with a $12 spring change has a nice trigger. The Bergara will run you $200-$300 to fix the trigger. It all comes down to whether you want a true centerfire trainer or not.

Have you cleaned that MTR and gotten rid of the carbon ring?
What would lead you believe that my MTR has a carbon ring? The first thing I do when I get a gun is to strip it and clean it with brushes and ultra sonic cleaner. If it can be taken apart it gets cleaned. And then I keep them that way. Waste of time or not, I like to know that I have done all that can be done. I also shoot with an X sniper and his brand new MTR also has cold bore issues. Or were you referring to something else?
Having mentioned use, mine has not been shot a lot bc I have too many others that shoot great. The crappiest ammo I use is SK yellow box.
More often it's Center X. None the less, I will address the CR if it exists.

My rifles all will exhibit a cold bore round after a few hundred rounds and it requires dedicated carbon ring scrubbing to remove. If not, then my first 2-3 rounds will usually be off by a bit, then the rest will be 1 hole. Some rifles might be more sensitive than others. The MTR chamber is very tight, and any carbon ring will make it shift more.

This is my vudoo with a carbon ring - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eume5sHJioJHI7Uj7UxRmvRbNOCOmuBh/view?usp=sharing

This is me after cleaning it - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1znHslM5NsbllJ_iwNbX_BzJhBKTq8CuH/view?usp=sharing

To clean I have to take a few wet patches, or a swab-it https://amzn.to/3iKePGi and soak it with the Boretech C4 Carbon Remover. Let it sit for an hour or two in the chamber or longer. Then I take a 22LR nylon brush and scrub away at the chamber for a minute.

Then just run a wet patch and dry patches.

No one mentioned price. $949 vs $529. That makes a difference to me.

And?

The Bergara is a rem 700 pattern rifle. The tika is a tika.

I started with a barreled action, and drop it into the same bravo I use for my comp center-fire. They both have b&a triggers with 90* shoes set at 14oz.

The tika in a bravo stock is within $100 of the barreled action in a bravo. The factory Tika stock leaves much to be desired.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
And?

The Bergara is a rem 700 pattern rifle. The tika is a tika.

I started with a barreled action, and drop it into the same bravo I use for my comp center-fire. They both have b&a triggers with 90* shoes set at 14oz.

The tika in a bravo stock is within $100 of the barreled action in a bravo. The factory Tika stock leaves much to be desired.
I actually really like the Tikka stock but as it comes on the T1x it's pretty lacking.
I added a normal butt pad, vertical grip and adjustable cheek piece and find the stock does everything I need it too.

Certainly not as good a chassis for hanging stuff off but I really can't complain about the ergonomics of it.
I have a bunch of Tikkas all still in facotry stock, maybe I'm just weird.

As far as T1x relability, mine has been (mostly) excellent.
The ejection issue has never been a problem for me and I must've had 10k rounds through mine and lots of dry fire.
I did have an issue where the firing pin broke, apparently this was a rare but not unknown occurence than has happened in a handful of early rifles.
Had it repaired for free even though it was outside of warranty period, it was fixed pretty quick but annoyingly broke about a week before a match.