Suppressors TAB SAS Uber Failure

timlemons64

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2011
Colorado
Just wanted to pass on my report on the TAB Gear SAS. I purchased on from Rifles only to go on my AAC 72-SD. The fit and finish were nice and it appeared to be basically an oven mit for my suppresor. After taking it to the range today it melted...literally melted on my new AAC can. It left goo from an inside seam and stiching...not the velcro...and I now have plastic goo all over my can. I will have to scrape this crap off an probably repaint the can. What and uber fucking failure of a product. It was supposedly designed to handle the heat and minimize mirage. It fucking melted all over my AAC and I'm pissed. Avoid this shitty product. I contacted Rifles Only via email & hope to get a refund...not a replacement as I have zero confidence in this product. Now what to do about my new palstic covered can...uhg!

Re: TAB SAS Uber Failure

Outside of contacting TAB Gear there is nothing to be done. Use the can as normal, and forget about how pretty it is.

It's sad to see a man whine and bitch about something so trivial.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wanted to pass on my report on the TAB Gear SAS. I purchased on from Rifles only to go on my AAC 72-SD. The fit and finish were nice and it appeared to be basically an oven mit for my suppresor. After taking it to the range today it melted...literally melted on my new AAC can. It left goo from an inside seam and stiching...not the velcro...and I now have plastic goo all over my can. I will have to scrape this crap off an probably repaint the can. What and uber fucking failure of a product. It was supposedly designed to handle the heat and minimize mirage. It fucking melted all over my AAC and I'm pissed. Avoid this shitty product. I contacted Rifles Only via email & hope to get a refund...not a replacement as I have zero confidence in this product. Now what to do about my new palstic covered can...uhg! </div></div>

Not cool dude. You must of abused the equipment, I have 3 TAB suppressor covers and never failed. It will melt when abused. Stop typing because you will not like the outcome.

WOW! 60 rounds, that's it. No mag dump or FA. It Failed. It's man made, and sometimes stuff fails and we get pissed. I vented & I feel better. After a $1000 investment to have a $60 oven glove fail, I got pissed. I see folks post about all kinds of bad experiences with products or websites here and we all have varying outcomes. Mine varied from others and that's going happen from time to time. Doesn't mean I or anyone else missused a product. Over it and moving on.

Honey, the guys on line say I need to borrow a tampon!

And Ninja: I don't like the outcome already.

I have melted mine several times. No big deal, I just shoot it some more to get the can even hotter and scrape it off with a knife. It's not going to win any beauty contest but the can still shoots the same.

Suppressors are one of those things that is going to be a lifetime purchase. You are really not going to sell one off. It's just another tool. As long as it works, I could careless. Melted plastic or a couple of scratches are not going to hurt the suppressor in any way.

ar dude i m not saying your a liar but really 60 rounds made the gear melt, i m sure the folks at rifles only would like to hear your complaint, and would truly help you out. Also were you going to take the can off after your round burst, why did you have the can cover on your gun. I dont think you were shooting targets at a 1000 and were concerned with mirage

Mine has always worked just fine. It would be nice to see people like you contact the manufacturer before your useless Internet rant, but then again, that wouldn't be as fun now would it.

Call Tony and you'll feel like a tool once you find out just how customer service orienteted he is. Instead you chose to come here and act like a cunt.

Wow, I have 3 TAB covers, and never had an issue. Sorry to hear you had problems. Rifles Only and Tony from TAB Gear are all outstanding people.

I've never known them not to address peoples problems. Have you called Rifles Only and or Tony??

I've used TAB Gear covers for years on a variety of different suppressors and have never had any issues. In fact, the only time I ever had a failure was when I was trying to make a cover fail using an 11.5" barrel MG and an M4-2000. Even then the cover didn't melt to the can. Obviously, things went a little different for you.

As already stated Tony is "good people". He'll take care of you. Give him a chance to do that.

Regarding the sticky goo on your suppressor, something like that was bound to happen at some point. Trust me, one of your friends will lay your smokin' hot suppressor on your favorite Eagle mat or range bag. LOL. Bound to happen. Has happened to me a lot!
smile.gif
The melted mess just gives the can some character. Most will burn off over time. You sound like a guy who uses his stuff, so try not to let the little things like this bother you too badly.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used TAB Gear covers for years on a variety of different suppressors and have never had any issues. In fact, the only time I ever had a failure was when I was trying to make a cover fail using an 11.5" barrel MG and an M4-2000. Even then the cover didn't melt to the can. Obviously, things went a little different for you.

As already stated Tony is "good people". He'll take care of you. Give him a chance to do that.

Regarding the sticky goo on your suppressor, something like that was bound to happen at some point. Trust me, one of your friends will lay your smokin' hot suppressor on your favorite Eagle mat or range bag. LOL. Bound to happen. Has happened to me a lot!
smile.gif
The melted mess just gives the can some character. Most will burn off over time. You sound like a guy who uses his stuff, so try not to let the little things like this bother you too badly.

Mark </div></div>

+1000

Was the rifle in question a semi auto or bolt gun?
Because Tony clearly states that these are not intended for use on a semi auto rifle with a can. They heat up rapidly. These covers materials cannot withstand that kind of heat. A cover that could take that kind of heat would be 3 to 4x as thick and pretty pricey.

I own over 30 TAB suppressor covers and not one of them has melted with the correct use. Tony told me in person that they are designed to cut mirage in critical points of time. I always begin my string of fire with the cover off, and after the mirage appears I velcro the cover on for a few more shots. Then you let cool. I never do more then a 10-15 round string with a bolt gun, suppressed or not. You need to let your barrel cool before your chamber gets hot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW! 60 rounds, that's it. No mag dump or FA. It Failed. It's man made, and sometimes stuff fails and we get pissed. I vented & I feel better. After a $1000 investment to have a $60 oven glove fail, I got pissed. I see folks post about all kinds of bad experiences with products or websites here and we all have varying outcomes. Mine varied from others and that's going happen from time to time. Doesn't mean I or anyone else missused a product. Over it and moving on.

Honey, the guys on line say I need to borrow a tampon!

And Ninja: I don't like the outcome already.</div></div>

and there are some that should not be around firearms..............

I think maybe you haven't given us all the information needed here. A few questions if you will.

Do you mostly sit down to urinate?

Are you still in possession of your testicles?

How does Ninja Pirate's GIF make you feel? Disgusted?

Are you perhaps nearing that "transitional" period in life? More to the point are you on your period?

And lastly, how is your eyesight? Did you read the part in the product description that clearly states not recommended for rapid fire or long strings?

In all seriousness, slow your roll next time and go through rational steps before hopping on the net and flaming a reputable company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was the rifle in question a semi auto or bolt gun?
Because Tony clearly states that these are not intended for use on a semi auto rifle with a can. They heat up rapidly. These covers materials cannot withstand that kind of heat. A cover that could take that kind of heat would be 3 to 4x as thick and pretty pricey.

I own over 30 TAB suppressor covers and not one of them has melted with the correct use. Tony told me in person that they are designed to cut mirage in critical points of time. I always begin my string of fire with the cover off, and after the mirage appears I velcro the cover on for a few more shots. Then you let cool. I never do more then a 10-15 round string with a bolt gun, suppressed or not. You need to let your barrel cool before your chamber gets hot. </div></div>

Holy Crap 30 cans then? That's quite a collection!

I have two TAB SAS covers. It was used on a 5.56mm can. It took a good deal of semi auto 5.56mm- nothing abusive but not bolt gun use either.

The other was used on a 30 cal bolt gun and there was one day I probably put 50 rounds through the gun at 5 rds a minute without any issues.

The 7.62SD is a very light, high performance suppressor, so it probably has higher heat gain per round than many other models- maybe that contributed?

Some of the covers have nylon ends that can be in contact with the suppressor. That of course will have a much lower tolerance for heat than the nomex.

ARdude, I will be honest with you. I was reading your post and the responses and completely forgot about your problem was when I got to Ninja Pirtle's GIF. What was your problem again?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was the rifle in question a semi auto or bolt gun?

I own over 30 TAB suppressor covers and not one of them has melted with the correct use. Tony told me in person that they are designed to cut mirage in critical points of time. I always begin my string of fire with the cover off, and after the mirage appears I velcro the cover on for a few more shots. Then you let cool. I never do more then a 10-15 round string with a bolt gun, suppressed or not. You need to let your barrel cool before your chamber gets hot. </div></div>

Holy Crap 30 cans then? That's quite a collection!

I have two TAB SAS covers. It was used on a 5.56mm can. It took a good deal of semi auto 5.56mm- nothing abusive but not bolt gun use either.

The other was used on a 30 cal bolt gun and there was one day I probably put 50 rounds through the gun at 5 rds a minute without any issues.

The 7.62SD is a very light, high performance suppressor, so it probably has higher heat gain per round than many other models- maybe that contributed?

Some of the covers have nylon ends that can be in contact with the suppressor. That of course will have a much lower tolerance for heat than the nomex.

</div></div>

No, thats just the bolt gun cans... give or take a few

All that have posted, thanks for your feedback and confidence in us and our company. As always, you are all very valued customers and friends.

ARDude,

I see you ordered a SAS1. Since you don't list any details at all about what type of weapon the can is on, semi auto or bolt action, what kind of rate of fire you were firing it at, etc., I can only make general comments.

There have been instances in the past where a 7.62 can has melted a cover. Those have been on semi auto cans and the rate of fire was near a round every one to three seconds. It was around the 72 to 75 round mark where the heat eventually overcame the limits of the cover and melted the cover.

There have been several instances of a customer not installing the SAS1 model correctly by insuring that the inner liner is meeting for the entire length of the can while velcroing the cover back on itself. If this happens what you have is a gap in the heat resistant material that will allow the heat generated from the can to escape into the Cordura of the cover and it will melt the cover in a rapid manner. This is not due to a design defect, it is due to the cover being installed incorrectly.

Also, these covers are designed for mirage, they are not heat shields. There is a huge difference.

We've made thousands of our SAS covers in all three variations and have very few failures with the 7.62 calibers. Like I stated before they've been on semi auto rifles at a relatively high rate of fire.

I know of covers with over 3000 rounds through them and still going strong. When we initially tested these covers out, the SAS1 being the first model, I personally ran 100 rounds of .308 ammo through the can on a bolt gun as fast as I could fire, run the bolt, and change mags out and I had someone else loading the mags. There was no damage to the cover.

The first I heard of this problem was this morning when Jacob Bynum forwarded me the email you sent him last night at 11:24 PM saying how pissed off you were at my shitty product, workmanship, and materials, and that you would send pictures and follow up with a review here on the Hide. I see you didn't waste any time in posting your "review" 13 minutes later at 11:37 PM

Thank you! I appreciate the opportunity to have talked to you about what exactly went wrong and what I could do to make you happy.

I've had guys who have had a cover damaged after shooting it for two years and want a replacement cover, I've made it and sent it out. I've had people admit that they installed or used the cover wrong and melted it and want to buy another cover, I've replaced it at my cost, shipping included. In fact, I've never had a customer contact me, in a reasonable manner, where they had a damaged cover, whether it was their fault or not, where I didn't replace the cover at my cost, plus shipping. I didn't even want them to send the damaged cover back to me, I just made and sent out the replacement cover. I've felt that is was just good customer relations to take the hit out of my own pocket rather than upset a customer, regardless of misuse or fault.

You also listed your phone number wanting me to contact you to discuss the "uber fail of this product and my refund", yet, you chose to post here telling people to "avoid this shitty product" and that you have "zero confidence in this product", without allowing me to contact you on this matter. Why in the world would I want to call you now to discuss anything?

I don't have to be Captain Obvious to figure out your mind is made up and that a phone conversation would not end well for either of us. I'm trying to be as diplomatic as possible in light of the way you've tried to damage my business in front of the world so I'll just say, you want a refund, no problem, you've got it. It would have been in the mail today but the post office was closed. Tomorrow I'll be sending you a USPS Money Order for the cost of your cover plus shipping.

Please look to a different manufacturer in the future for any nylon products you may need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Avoid this shitty product.</div></div>Seriously? You think that TAB is a shitty product?!! To me it sounds like you haven't shot suppressors very much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was the rifle in question a semi auto or bolt gun?
</div></div>

Sir on the market now are covers that can do what you are talking about and not 3x to 4x as thick and yes, they are heat shields.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was the rifle in question a semi auto or bolt gun?
</div></div>

Sir on the market now are covers that can do what you are talking about and not 3x to 4x as think and yes, they are heat shields.

John </div></div>

Thick?

And who makes them? I want to test one out

The only thing that failed was this thread. If you want a product that will make it easier for you to take your can off after several mag dumps buy an oven mitt. If you want a heat resistant cover to block mirage from shutting down your optics after several shots strung closely together, buy the TAB cover and never look back.

Add my SAS type 3 to the list of ones that made it well past 3000 rounds and still going strong. Also have a custom one that Tony made especially for my AX, because the can meets the handguard, and it is going strong as well, over 2000 rounds.

I can say without a doubt based on the 10 or so TAB products that I own that Tony is good people, TAB products are top notch, and that you sir, are a douche.

Hi Graham, just get ahold of Lisa please. We make lots of covers for the Thunderbeast can. She may have one in inventory that she can send right out to you.

We've also gotten some new materials in that we are pretty excited about that will work for a cover HEAT shield. As soon as I get time I'll be making prototypes and testing them out. The product specs look very nice, and they come in all the good colors too.

TAB stuff is the heat. My confidence is unshaken, particularly because I've gotten my cover pretty hot a few times with no ill effect. Hater's be hatin.

Tony:
Send him his money back and I'll buy three more from you! BTW, mine has way more than 3,000 rounds and is still going strong and it was one of the first ones you produced, and one of the finest pieces of kit that I have! You have a life long customer!

This thread ultimately reads as an endorsement for TAB covers and all of the other TAB products, as it should. Tony, you make a fine product and if misused, anything can happen.

For instance, don't paint your cans with Krylon, It will melt and stick to the cover. It smells bad. Don't do it.

Also, don't let the cover extend past the end of the suppressor too far; you'll blow out the end stitching and have loose threads hanging over (unless, of course, thats what you're after). I did that. I don't give a shit.

TAB Gear makes marvelous products and this is the first and hopefully last attempt at disparaging this fine man and company we'll see around here.

Now if you would just make one of those covers for the rifle while it has a can on, or, an AW in folded position!

You're a good man, carry on!

I melted a TAB suppressor cover. I never thought for a second to call anyone or bad mouth TAB. I just chalked it up to me not using the product properly. When you're shooting suppressed it's so darn fun that you forget that the can is getting pretty hot and it needs to cool some. It's not meant to shoot long strings with. I'll buy another to replace the one I ruined when I eventually get around to it.

Sounds like tony is a stand up guy to me. I have quite a few of his products and never had a problem.

Its great customer service that keeps people coming back thats one of the reasons I use Tony's TAB gear and Kasey's Atlas products some of the best customer service to be found. It dosent hurt that their stuff works.

TBURKES, That is what I call customer service. Will be happy to buy your products in near future. There are just some douchenozzles who neither deserve to own or use quality gear or weapons. They posses neither the testicular fortitude nor intelligence . Yet they let their bulldog mouths overload their candy -asses and get on here and disrepect individuals and businesses of highly respected members. Sounds like he should go back over to ARF.COM. Keep up the excellent work.

AR dude where do you shoot at? That way I can be sure avoid people like you when I go. Every piece of TAB equipment I've used has always been top notch, and very easy to see it was great craftsmanship. Maybe you should get one of those silicon suppressor wraps they seem pretty idiot proof. Of coarse they might melt too.

I only have one TAB cover, and my shooting buddy only has one TAB cover. Granted, we have only used them for about 2 years, with countless rounds from bolt rifles and self loading rifles, but they are still going strong.
Both covers have been abused, and have suffered a few rapid fire mag dumps, but they keep on going strong.

Great product.................................................

I've calmed down, and received a lot of feedback. I too have other TAB gear that I absolutely love. I had a bad experience with one product & vented...in hind sight not so good to do here apearently. I have not heard back from TAB, I did get am email from RO yesterday that they would call me. But, nothing yet. Stop with hate mail...I will play on nice on the playground and not bully the other kids. I promise.

SO, as of yet I have not had any customer service feedback.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've calmed down, and received a lot of feedback. I too have other TAB gear that I absolutely love. I had a bad experience with one product & vented...in hind sight not so good to do here apearently. I have not heard back from TAB, I did get am email from RO yesterday that they would call me. But, nothing yet. Stop with hate mail...I will play on nice on the playground and not bully the other kids. I promise.

SO, as of yet I have not had any customer service feedback. </div></div>

I think its above ! Just apologize for being a tosser and move on.

No kidding. You brought your situation here and the owner of the company responded (very generously). Case closed.......It appears you have one of two options; take Tony's generous refund and go away or if your conscious is kicking in and you realize the failure was attributed to operator error, then decline the refund and purchase a new cover. Seems simple enough?

I AM TAB GEAR sir.

Please see my post above for my reply to your email to Jacob.

There won't be any phone calls from myself or anyone at Rifles Only. Again, see my above post for the reasoning behind not calling.

Your refund is in the mail.

Not only is it not a good idea to express your dissatisfaction with a product here like you did, it's probably not the proper way to do it anywhere in the world if you want help in resolving an issue.

Good luck in the future.

Tburkes,

You're a good man. I've purchased two suppressor covers, a biathlon sling and a rear bag and all have been very high quality products. I'll continue to purchase your products as I have a need. Keep up the good work.