• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Terrible groups with mcmillan stock?

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hey guys, I have a bit of an issue. I have a 700 sps v in a mcmillan A4. I had it in an 700p hs stock and it shot fine (1/2 inch groups @ 100 on a good day). I got talked into a mcmillan stock by some people and I bet I havent seen a sum MOA group yet. I shot this weekend and a bit today and groups ranged from 1moa to 2.5 moa. All of the groups had alot more horizontal dispersion than vertical.

I havent had much time to shoot so I havent messed with it but this is really messing with my head now. I dont have a torque wrench, I just got it snug. This is the same thing I did with the HS stock and it shot great. I dont want to spend more money to get this stock bedded, if thats what it takes I probably will sell it and get another 700p take off stock. Mcmillans states that it doesnt need to be bedded, and I have heard of people getting great groups without bedding.

Any ideas?

Re: Terrible groups with mcmillan stock?

but I am "sure" you checked that......being

25372658.jpg

I know this isn't what you want to hear but...YES, you need a proper torque wrench if you want any degree of consistency (its a cheap insurance policy) and YES, you probably need to bed it!

Well I bought an A4 and removed my 700p stock off of it and it shot better. Granted the A4 was bedded and pillared properly. Never again would I go back to that HS stock. Just my experiences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I have a bit of an issue. I have a 700 sps v in a mcmillan A4. I had it in an 700p hs stock and it shot fine (1/2 inch groups @ 100 on a good day). I got talked into a mcmillan stock by some people and I bet I havent seen a sum MOA group yet. I shot this weekend and a bit today and groups ranged from 1moa to 2.5 moa. All of the groups had alot more horizontal dispersion than vertical.

I havent had much time to shoot so I havent messed with it but this is really messing with my head now. I dont have a torque wrench, I just got it snug. This is the same thing I did with the HS stock and it shot great. I dont want to spend more money to get this stock bedded, if thats what it takes I probably will sell it and get another 700p take off stock. Mcmillans states that it doesnt need to be bedded, and I have heard of people getting great groups without bedding.

Any ideas? </div></div>

The last thing on a rifle,that I want only "snug",is it's handle.

Wouldn't be surprised that it's assembled incorrectly too,with the magbox bound and shy of being seated fully into the receiver as well.