• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

The Creedmoor Coolaid

I resisted for a long time, grabbing a 260 instead to stay away from the “fanboy” image.

However, I’m now building a 6 creed hunting rifle now due to the availability of ammo and the ability to load the long bullets in a factory mag set-up. I may even decide to turn my match rifle into a 6 creed instead of x47 depending on performance of this hunting rifle.

Reactions: Bender
Yeah really, he mentioned several points, one of which was:

Since this is a discussion, I replied that I really don't think long barrel life is a feature of 6.5CM-not compared to the .308 I shoot now. Compared to others? Sure, I didn't say it has shitty barrel life, but I don't think it is particularly long or a point that would factor into my decision to switch.

Where did I say anything about disagreeing with this?

Next time I know to only respond to part of a post though, thanks for the sensitivity.
Thank you. I love quick learners. Seems like most didn't take the OP's post in the third person. I can't speak for him though.

I haven't sipped the Koolaid yet because I have bought a small collection of suppressors. Is that a good enough excuse?

However, I fondled an MPA in 6.5 CM at the gun store a while back. When I held the rifle, I asked the salesman if they had a private room where I could go spend some time with it.

I'm due some back pay for my Army retirement. When that comes in, I can get the rifle. The next priority is getting a Gen II Vortex Razor to adorn it along with about a 1000 rounds of ammunition, bullets, powder, dies.

Seriously, I was looking at getting an MPA in .338 Lapua but a friend who has both told me that the big advantage the 6.5 has over the .338 is that you can see rounds impact. Even though both of us are not bothered by recoil (i kind of like it) I have to admit that I would like to be able to shoot without needing a spotter.

I have heard that your voice gets deeper when you mention that you shoot a .338 instead of a 6.5CM. Is that true?
I dial my scope back to around 10x and see all of my 338 lapua impacts at 350+.

I'm not a kool-aid drinker! A few years back, when I went shopping for a Ruger Precision, the 6.CM was all the rage. Problem was, couldn't find a box of ammo in Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado or Utah. So, I bought the .243 RPR and haven't looked back. No, I don't have my loads all worked up yet but plan on enjoying this winter doing just that.

Yep, I drank the Kool-aid a few months after it was released, when I found myself getting back in LR shooting. I did some research/reading and went with the 6.5CM (which was a custom chambering back then) for several reasons:

1. Remington had pretty much not supported the .260Rem

2. The 6.5CM had a longer case neck. I've always subscribed to long case necks making a cartridge "inherently" more accurate (not because of physics, but because of human error when reloading. A long case neck encourages better concentricity, ala .222, 22/6mm PPC, etc.).

3. When compared to the venerable 6.5x55SE, it seemed like a good option/concept in a short action.

The downside when I lept in was that brass was pretty much made of unobtainium. But, thanks to folks like @Rob01 , I quickly figured out how to form (and turn) my own brass. The first local match I went to, I think I was the only one shooting "that new fangled 6.5", and was amazed at the ease of wind calls (targets were pretty generously sized back then).

Is it the "best" cartridge out there? One can argue (and many do), but for something that is nice compromise between, bullet weight/BC, velocity, recoil and downrange retained energy, I'd say it's about perfect as a PRACTICAL cartridge.

Hell, I've got three now (soon to be four), so I'd guess I'd say it has proven (to me at least) to be a very practical cartridge that is competitive in matches, and can be used for hunting as well. Win/win.

Reactions: lash
I took the suppressor off my 6.5 Creed the other day. The recoil broke my arm off at the shoulder joint. I left my arm hanging at the range with a spent case as a warning. :ROFLMAO:

You guys would be happy to know I don't have a brake on my 5mmFBI which is a 20-221AI fireball.

And dismayed I have a brake on my MAC 1 USFT which is a PCP air rifle, lol.

So who hasn't slurped the Creedmoor coolaid?

Why did you resist the siren song of low recoil, efficient powder usage, long barrel life, incredible accuracy, long high bc bullets, solid terminal performance, easy reloading, and abundant factory ammo?

Was it disgust at seeing the long lines of crazed would be marksmen, blindly rushing forward to sacrifice their wallets to the Creedmoor marketers? Or maybe an inborn desire to be anomalous? To be the lone wolf.

Or were you already loading 260 Rem, or 6.5x47?

If you have never been spurred by the countless articles by gun writers, extolling the Creedmoor virtues, to immediately run to the the nearest store to fondle Creedmoor rifles, peek inside the ammo boxes at the shapley cartridges, and then consummating your credit card to their card reader...what cartridge are you using instead?

I admit I enjoyed my share of the coolaid.

I started shooting 6.5s with the .260. Great cartridge, but from a 2.8” magazine box freebore had to be very short to reach the lands with VLD type bullets. Next came the 6.5x47. Great accuracy and performance. Works great in a 2.8” box. But... In my hunting rifles, I want to be able to buy ammo anywhere I might end up if the need arises. Had also read several accounts of small rifle primers not igniting x47 sized powder charges in extremely cold weather. So... my latest iteration is the Creedmoor. Works great in a 2.8” magazine. Mine shoots even better than my 6.5x47s did, and that’s saying something. Factory ammo is readily available, should the need arise, even in Walmart. No worries in extreme cold temperatures. What’s not to like?

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Ripdog28
I remember hyping it to all my buddies 10 years ago, when no one had ever heard of it and anything smaller than 30 cal was only useful for prairie dogs. Then all of the sudden 5 years ago it was mainstream and they all tried to tell me how great it was. WTF guys.
Funny thing is that I never ended up buying one. Every time I come close I look out my window and realize that between hunters, farmers and weather I can only shoot beyond 500 yards maybe 2 months of the year. Then I go build another 223 instead.

Last edited:
I have a couple of 6.5cm and a couple 6cm but I am so invested in 260 dies etc I cant bring myself to really go in too deep on the 6.5cm when they are essentially the same thing.

Everything about the 6.5CM appeals to me and I hope it continues to take off and become even more mainstream but got my first bolt gun recently in .308 (16inch the fix) because I wanted to practice with the cheapest ammo, have long barrel life, wanted to learn wind calls and hold overs with the more difficult of the two, develop better recoil management to all make me a better shooter.
Plus I wanted it to be my one rifle to do it all and bug out rifle and it made sense to be .308 because it’s so easy to find. Hopefully in the future 6.5CM becomes a lot more popular and easier to find because I hope to be able to make the swap one day.

For now perfecta 147gr are good practice ammo and cheap for me and Hornady precision hunter 178gr will get me to 1000m and are a great hunting/precision round with minimal wind drift for those have to make shots.

Nope, nope. No CM here.

1. Its the new hipster/peasants cartridge
2. 6.5x47 Lapua is god's gift to LR. (It has lapua in the name, therefore, much mo bettah)

You're welcome

This. The Creedmoor is to rifles as ugg boots and pumpkin spiced lattes are to women. Basic as fuck.

When even the biggest fudds on the planet are rocking Creedmoor it just makes it so much less appealing.

I was actually cringing typing up the work order to go along with the 6.5 blank for my Q specing to chamber it in Creedmoor instead of 6.5x47. I’m not even kidding.

To be 100% honest I never actually new about the 6.5 Creedmoor, 260rem and 6.5x47 pissing matches with each other or any of the other classic choices. I had of course looked over the ballistics of them but that's about it.
I had allways been to busy enjoying shooting my 223, 308 and 300wm to notice I guess. Ahhh ignorance is bliss and then I joined the hide.

This. The Creedmoor is to rifles as ugg boots and pumpkin spiced lattes are to women. Basic as fuck.

When even the biggest fudds on the planet are rocking Creedmoor it just makes it so much less appealing.

I was actually cringing typing up the work order to go along with the 6.5 blank for my Q specing to chamber it in Creedmoor instead of 6.5x47. I’m not even kidding.
I hope you are kidding.

6.5 creedmoor has high quality match grade target and hunting ammunition at reasonable costs. In fact it has the cheapest match grade factory ammunition of any caliber by far at just $.70 a round shipped. Most people don’t reload (including me) so overlooking this point is asinine. This is the point of the round from what inunderstand.

Even for hunters that actually hunt and understand that regular cup and core loads are all that is needed to cleanly kill anything and that high bc loads are anything but neccessary, can find ammunition in the $16-$17 per box range. Try that with Lapua anything.

There, fixed it for you. Now we can get a real internet fight going.

308 never had the cult like following like Creedmoor does. The Fudds also chose “thutty thutty” and “thutty awt siyx” over the 308 therefore it was a lot cooler.

Everyone with a 6.5 Creedmoor thinks they’re a fucking sniper and even the fudds are jumping on board now.

It’s a great round but you can’t ignore the fuckery associated with it.

Reactions: KPK
308 never had the cult like following like Creedmoor does. The Fudds also chose “thutty thutty” and “thutty awt siyx” over the 308 therefore it was a lot cooler.

Everyone with a 6.5 Creedmoor thinks they’re a fucking sniper and even the fudds are jumping on board now.

I agree with last part. Its a good low recoiling round that bucks the wind better than the .308. It isnt magical like some think. The points i made above is where the magic is really at.

I don't want to come across as bashing the 6.5 CM. My primary reason for preferring the .260 is the considerable investment in handloading capacity, load development time, and chambering-specific learning that's already gone into the .260 for me.

I am certain that I could buy into the 6.5CM with the same commitment and enjoy it every bit as much. But I can't justify having two systems that essentially achieve the same goal in a nearly indistinguishable manner.

For me, my commitment is made, and IMHO commitments are best when kept.

I keep reading here on The 'Hide that bullets beyond a certain magical length are not good when seated especially deep into the case. Honestly folks, how does one seat a 147 ELD-X in either the .260 or 6.5CM without obviously exceeding this magical depth? I've personally never seen any evidence in over nearly two decades of shooting the .260 to suggest to me that such a mandate exists, and would gladly accept such evidence should one be able to convey it in specific terms.

Yes, it is true that effective capacity is reduced, and pressures dictate that less propellant can be loaded. So what? The same handloading rules apply and whatever goal is achieved is what we are required to accept regardless. One makes the attempt and depends on enhanced BC to deliver its contribution. For now, for me, this is an unrealized goal, but my reasons have nothing to do with the chambering.

For some applications I would prefer the 6.5CM, primarily those where magazine feeding is mandatory. I also like the slightly longer neck, but mostly as a means to buffer the throat area from erosion. Were I new to LR and looking for a 6.5, I would strongly prefer the 6.5CM, based on my perception of significant industry bias to sell the newer chambering. The new 6.5CM shooter is obviously being favored by the industry over the older .260 shooters, and stands to gain from that; despite recent concessions in the .260 factory ammunition offerings.

IMHO, neither suffers in the comparison, and given enough barrel length and load density, either can be made to look better than the other. In the long run, however, there is no substitute for cubic inches with internal combustion engines and case capacity with cartridges; and the .260 holds that distinction.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: KPK
The closest that I ever came to shooting anything in a 6.5 caliber, with any regularity, was when I owned a Swedish M41B. That rifle only had a 4X scope on it and even with the straight gripped stock, I was amazed at how that thing could shoot.

Unfortunately, I had to sell my Swedish darling when I was married to Lady MacBeth. I'll never forget how much that rifle, which was made in 1942, impressed me. Sure, it would not come close to accuracy with some of today's PRS rifles in either .308, 6.5CM or 6.5 X 47 but given the 70-80 year old technology, it was pretty darn good. It was better than anything that we had on this side of the Atlantic, at the time, except for the Marine Corps 1903-A4 with 8X Unertl.

I say all this, because technology keeps moving forward. I'm still a big fan of the .308 and won't get rid of mine. I have about 15-20,000 rounds of match grade ammo ready to shoot. So, why would I give it up?

On the other hand, why would I pass up an opportunity to own a rifle that shoots flatter and with less wind drift than my .308 if I can afford another shooting iron?

I really want an MPA in .338 Lapua but don't always get to shoot with a spotter. I can tolerate a lot of recoil and don't have the problems with flinching that some folks do. That's not bragging but fact. Yet, I would like to be able to see where my rounds are going when I shoot at steel from 600 yards and beyond.

Sometimes, I can't do that with my .308. I know that the .338 Lapua will really reach out and clang some steel at really long distances but I would probably need someone to spot for me 99% of the time.

I was fortunate to shoot someone else's 6.5CM and it really impressed me. I was also impressed with the 6.5 X 47. Given the good availability of ammunition as well as bullets, I will probably get another rifle in 6.5CM. I don't want to get caught, in a pinch, of trying to locate factory ammo in 6.5 X 47 when there is a better supply chain in 6.5CM.

When it comes time to put my money down for a 6.5CM, I may change my mind but right now it seems like a better option.

Reactions: Bradu

Get outta here, and take your logic with you.
I'm trying to make this thread entertaining!

Reactions: XLR308
When, back around 2000, I looked into the whole book full of questions regarding the 6.5, I was initially drawn straight to the 6.5x55. I was handloading for my Son-in-Law's Carl Gustav 96, and getting very good results with the SRA 140SMK and 36.0gr of Varget, these being the standout components of the day. But once one got past the Swedish Rifles, there wasn't much else available.

Savage was offering the .260 in the 10FP, and it looked very good from our vantage point. I thought in terms of it being "the American Swede". A concept was born and was expressed as the SH Ghost Dancer .260 Project. The name was based on the Ghost Dance, a native religious movement to bring back the better days. At the time, Savage was dropping the .260 chambering, and we literally got their last ones off the line. Our intention was nothing short of trying to bring the spotlight back onto it and possibly reviving its momentum.

I cannot confirm that our efforts did anything in that regard, but we did it, and the .260 came back online, gangbusters; and that was, at very least, a beneficial coincidence for 6.5 shooting in our community. For the better part of two decades the .260 was deeply immersed in the 6.5 comeback. That's the history.

Other chamberings came about and the 6.5CM is a great example, it's just so close to being the .260 that it's become a Ford/Chevy argument. I think it's farcical that either claims vast superiority over the other.

For me it's a question of what's available, and what one wants to do with it. Take your pick. Either way, I think you'll be happy.

Greg

PS FYI, a good friend built a custom 6.5x55 and shot it along with us at Bodines in 1000yd F Open. The 6.5-284 blew all our doors off.

Last edited:

Living in a county with one of the largest military populations, I shoot PRS with actual Snipers, guess what they use for PRS? 6 & 6.5s so they can choose to shoot 308 for free but choose to shoot a round that is far better Ballistically

Reactions: SonicBurlap
You completely missed the point of my post lol.

I understand that many are just bandwagon but I know far more that are still drinking the coolaid if the 308 and likely will never look anywhere else. I myself waited a long time to get one and did so because the #s don’t lie and the amount of manufacturer support. Really wanted a .260 but didn’t see the support the CM got. For a game gun and all around hunter in North America, it is a hard to beat round.

I always recommend a 6.5 CM to anyone new getting in. It’s cheap and easy to get to shooting.

I personally have a 6.5x47 and it’s just dead nuts. Barrel on the way for a 6 CM on my Impact. We’ll see how that goes.

Next is a 6.5 PRC for a hunting and windy day rig. It may get more use out here in western OK. Wind usually blows on weekends and days off so...?

For a game gun and all around hunter in North America, it is a hard to beat round.

And that’s exactly why I spec’d it for my Q barrel over 6.5x47L regardless of how much I didn’t want to. To me a hunting rifle needs to have readily available factory ammo and that’s what the Q is for me. Never have I seen a box of 6.5x47 ammo at any store I’ve been into, even a few specialty LR stores. Only Lapua makes it and I’m sure some places sell it but it’s nothing you can depend on being able to get a box of in a pinch. It’s without a doubt the best all around option on the market today. I won’t argue that.

When I started studying what rifle to chamber 10+ years ago there was always dozens that said .308. Fan boys. I looked at the ballistics and it was plain to see. I think their coolaid is spoiled lol. Ended up with a .260!

Innovation is for clowns.

Like when fuel injection came around. All the bitching and complaining that it’s just a fad. Or it’s meant for women. No real man drives a fuel injected car. Took them about 12-15 years and now you won’t find to many without it.

I have a BBC in my 69 C10 and love it but you bet your ass my daily is a TT V6.

Innovation is for clowns.

Like when fuel injection came around. All the bitching and complaining that it’s just a fad. Or it’s meant for women. No real man drives a fuel injected car. Took them about 12-15 years and now you won’t find to many without it.

I have a BBC in my 69 C10 and love it but you bet your ass my daily is a TT V6.
Carburetors should be thrown in the trash. I used to think they were better and faster, boy was I wrong. If I ever buy a carbureted vehicle, the first upgrade will be multi point fuel injection.

Back on subject: I drank the cool aid just about 2 years ago. I don't care that it's a "hipster" cartridge. I also still like my 308 and 30-06.

Reactions: Bender and lash
I resisted for a while then finally decided to just drink the kook-aid too.

I am not a seasoned reloader (yet) but my kids and I really like to shoot. I had a brand new never fired tikka .243 I bought on sale that I decided would be the culprit so took to a local smith that is very reputable and had him spin up a bartlein in 6.5cm, dropped it in a chassis and damn this thing shoots.

Factory Hornady 143 Eld-x easily prints .6-.5" groups all day long with my 9yo son running it. With this thing I regularly shoot .3s and have shot quite a few .2s and even a few .1s. WITH FACTORY $25/box AMMO!!!

The rifle weighs 16lbs and with the ultra 9 can is extremely fun to shoot.

I can spend more time shooting and less reloading with this thing so..... I guess I'm on the bandwagon too.

Reactions: 260284
Today I go down to the club range in Douglas, 50mi South of here, to sight in a pair of Bushnell BDC scopes on my pair of otherwise identical 223/308 Savage 11VT's. I will be using factory ammo, Frontier 55gr Match, and IMI 168gr Semi-Auto Match.

I'm not bringing a ton of ammo, so I may or may not try for groups at 100, 200, and 300yd. Aside from stock replacements with Choate/Savage Tactical stocks, these are factory stock rifles.

Next trip will be with the 2001 Savage 10FP .260 Ghost Dancer 28", recently remounted and rescoped with the Mueller 8-32x44, and headspace redone according to a genuine H/S gauge. All loads will be handloads, 95gr V-Max, and 147gr ELD-X. I'm hoping to get some time in on the Garand then, too.

Now that the aiming eye is back to 20/20, these should be some fun sessions.

Unfortunately(?) the left eye is doing funny things with the image, looking somewhat distorted. I go in for the surgical followup eye exam (and an unrelated CAT Scan) Wednesday, so I'll be going over the issue(?) with the left eye then. It may just be something related to slow healing; that can take a bit of time, sometimes.

Greg

Revisited 12/4 The 223/308 project went quick and smooth. The steel plates at 100, 200, and 300yd were bang-on, the entire project took under an hour. Next phase will be testing ammo for group sizes.

Meanwhile, the next project will be getting the 260 back on paper with the new setup, and testing loads for group sizes out to 300yd. This is an older rifle following a revamp.

Last edited: