The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Is there any proper way to get an MRAD down to 13.5” LOP. Also, is there any type of full length ARCA plate that runs the full span of the handguard, all the way back to the magwell, so that I can clamp into my RRS tripod?

Thinking about coming over to the Barrett camp but these are two concerns that I have. It’s that or I’m going to have to take the AXSR plunge, again….
I use 340mm. M-LOK Hardware Kit

Attachments

• 402597824_378732521148219_2042807755019545576_n.jpg
    402597824_378732521148219_2042807755019545576_n.jpg
    1,018 KB · Views: 141
Scooped a barrel off a member here. Its a barrel kit with a bartlien 6.5. My only experience is using the 300 prc barrel that came with it. Im having major feeding issues with this new barrel has anyone ran into this? Any suggested remedies?

Scooped a barrel off a member here. Its a barrel kit with a bartlien 6.5. My only experience is using the 300 prc barrel that came with it. Im having major feeding issues with this new barrel has anyone ran into this? Any suggested remedies?
I can pop my custom 6.5 on and test feed it later this week when I get back.

Have you checked the headspace though?

I have a Barrett MRAD chambered in 6.5CM and use Hornady 140gr ELDM. After 182 rounds, my averages are: MV 2,696 fps, SD 13, ES 41 (Garmin chrono) Three shot groups average .56 MOA. I'm using a bore height of 2.87. How do these stats compare to other users. The reason for these questions is because I'm not getting desired accuracy at 600 - 1,000 yards. Just trying to validate basic setup data.

I have a Barrett MRAD chambered in 6.5CM and use Hornady 140gr ELDM. After 182 rounds, my averages are: MV 2,696 fps, SD 13, ES 41 (Garmin chrono) Three shot groups average .56 MOA. I'm using a bore height of 2.87. How do these stats compare to other users. The reason for these questions is because I'm not getting desired accuracy at 600 - 1,000 yards. Just trying to validate basic setup data.
What is your desired accuracy at 600-1000? .56 moa is a good group at 100 yds. Whats your group at 300 and 500 look like? Also here at snipershide it’s a 5 round grp minimum ;)

Reactions: Safety_3rd
I usually use five rounds for my sight ins however, at the end of my range time today I only had 6 rounds left when I decided to do two three round groups to check my original sight in. My groups at 300 -500 yards are within 1 MOA. It's only when I go from 600 - 1,000 yards do the groups open up.

I usually use five rounds for my sight ins however, at the end of my range time today I only had 6 rounds left when I decided to do two three round groups to check my original sight in. My groups at 300 -500 yards are within 1 MOA. It's only when I go from 600 - 1,000 yards do the groups open up.
It it within a margin of wind or es of the ammo?

I agree with wind and es of ammo being contributors to this situation. I was just trying to tie down the basics of what others with the MRAD were experiencing as far as MV, SD, ES, bore height, and etc using Hornady 6.5CM 140 gr ELDM. Thanks.

I agree with wind and es of ammo being contributors to this situation. I was just trying to tie down the basics of what others with the MRAD were experiencing as far as MV, SD, ES, bore height, and etc using Hornady 6.5CM 140 gr ELDM. Thanks.
Your bore height is dead on, I think that's even factory standard on some of the advanced weapon mount laser rangefinders for the MK22. MV seems fine for 6.5cm, maybe try some berger ammo, try some 130 hybrids.

Reactions: Paul1262
I spoke with him hes basically in sales and he gave me the contacts to reach out to at barrett
reach out to Matt Sullivan or Devin Landry

[email protected]
[email protected]

They have both helped in the past and are great.

For anyone asking: Barrett will cerakote MRADs any color they offer for 350.00 plus whatever it costs for shipping (probably like 100-120?) and they disassemble and reassemble every component.

Reactions: JulianD
Hello,

I m planning to Cerakote my MRAD in E-190, I search a solution to remove those pin here. (61 and 63)

Thanks
View attachment 8440590View attachment 8440591View attachment 8440592
View attachment 8440593
The first pin you pictured doesn’t need to be removed. But it’s up to you.

The receiver latch pin will most likely need to be “pressed” out with a hydraulic press. That’s how they do it at the factory. I have legit seen 3-4 people hammer on one for 20-30 minutes and it doesn’t budge. They are slightly oversized now due to the MK22 contract spec. This in theory, is to prevent any accidental unlocking of the latch. If you try and hammer it out… you might get it out, but probably not.

Taping it off is fine, but if you use bake on cerakote, and any paint gets in there. It bakes the paint and the latch may or may not work. I’ve seen that before and a guy had to send it back to Barrett for them to remove the latch and clean it up and reinstall the latch.

I don’t check this forum as much as I probably should. But the emails above will almost always guarantee a response. Don’t ask me how I know 🫡.

Reactions: Ghost_Kobra
I'm going to answer my own question because I found the answer out - the QD cups cannot be removed. I have the bag rider fastener/screw pointed out as well above, but I (somebody can correct me if I'm wrong) believe that can be removed, so no issue there.

I suppose the only option then is to somehow cover them, or just cerakote over them, but it does appear that there are several black parts that are basically just permanently buried/affixed to the chassis with no way to remove them.

Does anyone know if the buttstock folding button can be removed? That could be another one that would be tricky if not.

@Patch98 Whomever did the cerakote job on your MRAD, were they able to remove the folding buttstock button in the process? Or did they just cover that with something and cerakote around it?
Removing that is a testament of thumb strength. It’s just like a AR15 magazine r button install.

Those QD mounts are pressed in at the factory. So really no way to remove or install easily.

Reactions: wayfaerer1
reach out to Matt Sullivan or Devin Landry

[email protected]
[email protected]

They have both helped in the past and are great.

For anyone asking: Barrett will cerakote MRADs any color they offer for 350.00 plus whatever it costs for shipping (probably like 100-120?) and they disassemble and reassemble every component.
Thank you just reached out

What barrel are you using for your 7 PRC? Proof?
Bartlein blank. I posted velocity a few pages back. Don’t recall off the top of my head though.

Specs Below from Marc at Spartan:

-Bartlein barrel blank, 7MM bore, 8 twist, #9 heavy varmint contour (5" long breech end at 1.250" for MRAD extension)
-Cut barrel to fit "B" MRAD extension and chamber in 7 PRC
-Cut muzzle threads 5/8X24 at 22" finished length

Reactions: Islas82
Kits being reworked sounds promising and aligns with the fall estimate provided. There are two 338 kits on the store that appear to be the latest version. Thanks @Big Worm for breaking down G2 and G3 - this is a huge gap on all Barrett documentation. Here's where I'm currently at on making sense of what I've learned so far:

G1 Large breech. AJ (000000-001200)​
G2.0 Small breech. AJ (001200+)​
G2.1 MLOK receiver. CJ​
G3 Captive bolt pin. EJ (MRAD), USA (Mk22)​

Some additional points Barrett provided last week:
  • Barrel kits not on sale work drop in a Mk22
  • If the barrel starts with a “18” or “19”, you will not need to use a large to small breech conversion kit (for a Mk22).
This appears pretty straightforward. All 19xxx SKUs are all full price. I am seeing 18xxx prefix barrels that are on sale and some that aren't so the two points above conflict on some samples. If Barrett's guidance on prefix may not be a great indicator on G2 or G3, the descriptions at least do track 100% with whether a kit is on sale:
  • Sale barrels, including some 18xxx, say "Item will only work with early large breech AJ or current EJ prefix models with the use of the large breech to small breech conversion kit."
  • Non-sale barrels, including some 18xxx, say only "Earlier model MRADs may require the large breech to small breech conversion kit."
So I think everything finally clicked. Sale kits (G2) will need the conversion kit for G1 (using bolt & guides) and current G3 (using just bolt) rifles. Full price kit are G3 and pair perfectly with G3 rifles. With G2 being retired, I'm curious if the new G3 barrels are backwards compatible with G2 rifles? Regardless, great sale for CJ owners and good for EJ owners who can manage some extra parts to save $400+/barrel.
This thread has grown since I last stopped in!

Your serial by date breakdown needs a little tweaking. The AJ serials that we're calling G1 went well into the 1300s before switching to small breech for G2. Plus, there were the anomalies like the barrels with no extension that were truly the Gen 1, so the Gen 1 we're discussing were more like Gen 1.5

Lots of great info in here 😁

I am thinking of buying a barrett MRAD (calibres 338 LM and 6,5 creedmore) with a ATACR 5-25 for under 5k (euros). For Austria this is a good deal, since it is really hard to get an MRAD (new and used). The only problem i have is, that it is a Gen 1 and black. So i wanted to know what the Forum thinks about it and what i have to look for when buying a used MRAD

I am thinking of buying a barrett MRAD (calibres 338 LM and 6,5 creedmore) with a ATACR 5-25 for under 5k (euros). For Austria this is a good deal, since it is really hard to get an MRAD (new and used). The only problem i have is, that it is a Gen 1 and black. So i wanted to know what the Forum thinks about it and what i have to look for when buying a used MRAD
Truthfully, I would advise against a Gen 1 MRAD in Europe. Parts are hard enough to get over there and Barrett doesn't make anymore Gen 1 bolt face parts. Eventually, you would have to convert everything to a small breach and I'm not sure what that would cost to get imported / and in Euros. I would highly advise just trying to source a newer one that way you can get barrel makers kit and get smiths locally to make new barrels for you if you shoot yours out. The import/export I've heard is terribly slow. Just a suggestion.

I posted a few pages back about some of the small vs large breach and what "Gens" are what and what you can see. Barrett doesn't have "gens" which is pretty dumb because we all know they are different in a variety of ways and are essentially "Generation changes." Either way, if you have the serial number and photos please post. One of the members (or myself) can reach out to Barrett and ask questions for you if need be.

Reactions: Islas82
I think I will just have to wait for a different offer, but it is really bad in Europe. If you order a new one you have to pay 10-12 k, then wait 6-12 months for it and the color you ordered is not even guaranteed (and you still have to pay for it). Thats why I m looking for a used one. Much cheeper and I know what color I will get. But there are zero offerings most of the time and if you get one it is a old model

I recently purchased a MRAD in 6.5 Creedmore with a 10 MOA rail. I am thinking about getting a Nightforce ATACR 7-35 with the Tremor 5 reticle. I already have two ATACRs with the Mil/XT reticle and love them, however, I want something a little different. I am also looking at a Nightforce Ultramount 1.54 with 0 MOA. Does this sound right?

The bipod is on backorder at Larue - once that comes in I'll throw all the mlok 1913 rails and bipod on and that should really complete the package. In any case, I was going for the Army version with this, so it's going for that look.

Commercial MRAD to Mk22 Clone Transformation:

Before:

20240621_143555.jpg

20240621_143743.jpg

After:

20240802_110517.jpg

20240802_110753.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Attachments

• 20240802_110710.jpg
    20240802_110710.jpg