The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

The bipod is on backorder at Larue - once that comes in I'll throw all the mlok 1913 rails and bipod on and that should really complete the package. In any case, I was going for the Army version with this, so it's going for that look.

Commercial MRAD to Mk22 Clone Transformation:

Before:

View attachment 8471354

View attachment 8471355

After:

View attachment 8471360

View attachment 8471361

View attachment 8471357

View attachment 8471356
Whats the forward cap on the Mk5?

Last edited:
What's the go with the Army's PSR mk22s optics? I was lead to believe the Mark 5 5-25x56 with the Army's patented own reticle was the optic? Was the Trmr3 a trial optic or is this what they are running now?

Army is using the 7-35 with proprietary reticle.

Which is weird because most of the news articles about the Leupold contract win (from years ago) specially mention the 5-25, but the Army is definitely using the 7-35 with a proprietary reticle right now.

SOCOM is of course Nightforce.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magsz18
I’ve only seen 3-18 Leupold MK6 scopes with the Army reticle.

All of the 7x35 have a Tremor 3 in the 30 or so rifles I’ve seen. It isn’t a trial optic.
On the plus side, i guess now this is something I can directly purchase.... on the negative side... I just bought the Mk5 5-25......

What speeds are people getting with the stock 300 Norma barrels? Looking around it seems like its reasonable to push 245gr bullets to 2800-2900 FPS with the stock 26” barrel.
I settled on 2800fps with the 245 EOL and suppressed. I started to get faint ejector marks at 2830fps. Lapua brass.

Reactions: Overclok79
Anybody have more info on the shorter lop buttpad, if its an actual thing.
Nah lad. I saw a pic of it on facebook feed about a 6 months or so ago and since then I haven't been able to find jack on it. Starting to think I imagined it but the design replaced the telescoping butt plate with a fixed one that dropped the LOP to 13.5" fixed. The butt pad moved up and down still but wasn't hand adjustable and used screws to save space.

Do you have any idea when they changed from the 5-25s to the T3 35s and why?
No idea. I’m just an occasional end user. When they were finally issued, those were the scopes that came on all of the rifles I’ve seen.

Never seen or used one with the Army reticle in the mk5 scope either. Not that there isn’t maybe some out there somewhere.

Reactions: Zigjib
Just installed the Rotapoint RMR mount for the NF Ultramount. Besides a MARS or MRF-Xe for a WMLRF, only see the AML338 on the horizon. TBAC 338 SR will live on the AXSR.

20240814_barrett_mk22_sp_01 wm 3840.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, all of ours are Mil-Grid 4. I was under the impression Tremor 3 only came in the P-VPS scopes.
Half the rifles I shoot with are SOCOM contract rifles. So they have Nightforce ATACRs, which I prefer.

The other half of the rifles are (as far as I know) rifles purchased by the regular Army after they accepted and adopted the MRAD and funded a contract for more.

Leupold scoped rifles are issued to SOCOM units as well to plus up the MTOE.

Maybe there is a SOCOM version of the Leupold different from the regular Army rifles?

Half the rifles I shoot with are SOCOM contract rifles. So they have Nightforce ATACRs, which I prefer.

The other half of the rifles are (as far as I know) rifles purchased by the regular Army after they accepted and adopted the MRAD and funded a contract for more.

Leupold scoped rifles are issued to SOCOM units as well to plus up the MTOE.

Maybe there is a SOCOM version of the Leupold different from the regular Army rifles?
I was always under the impression those big army issue items are not allowed to differ at all if not funded/issued by SOCOM's own programs. But this could be an example that disproves that. Interesting either way.

Just my MRAD 338NM and Nightforce 7x35 ATACR were almost $10k with tax! Added 33XC and 41XC Bartlien Barrels, Barrett MK22 Fix-it Stick Kit, Dewey Rod and Boreguide, MK22 Armageddon Rifle Bag, Ajustable Bag Rider, AM338, Armageddon Suppressor Cover, MRAD Spare Parts Kit, Barret 2-stage flat trigger, Vertical Grip, Accutac Bipod, RRS Tripod, Vortex Impact 4000, and extra mags to equal 5 per caliber for total of 15. Barrett definitely saw me coming!!!

I actually have two Nightforce ATACRs, one on the MRAD and one on a dedicated 41XC build with 33" barrel. Right after I bought the 2nd one in their version of fde, the Mark22 ATACR came out on Europtic... GRRRRRRRRR.
How do you like the 2 stage flat vs the factory trigger. Not alot of reviews out there on it

Reactions: Magsz18