The "perks" of loading for your buddies!

MACHTECH

Say cheese!
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2017
    Michigan
    Last trip to Kansas, @jwknutson17 , @tnester1 and I had a little competition that we called "king of the 2000" with our .300 Norma's. You got 5 shots at 1000, 1500, 1760 & 2000 for a possible score of 20. Well Travis spanked us both by almost double. Let's see how he does this year 😈😈
    IMG_20200721_190147047.jpg

Travis shoots 81 grains of Retumbo in his Norma. This should give him a SD in the upper 40's😂😂😂.

JK!

Last trip to Kansas, @jwknutson17 , @tnester1 and I had a little competition that we called "king of the 2000" with our .300 Norma's. You got 5 shots at 1000, 1500, 1760 & 2000 for a possible score of 20. Well Travis spanked us both by almost double. Let's see how he does this year 😈😈
    View attachment 7380368
    Travis shoots 81 grains of Retumbo in his Norma. This should give him a SD in the upper 40's😂😂😂.

JK!

Thats still too close! Make it a little further apart and we may have a chance!

We did get spanked though..

View attachment 7380368

JK!
    1 gr of powder in 300 NM is about 50 fps, 0.2 gr is about 10 fps.

The .416 is ready for the 3 mile attempt! Hopefully we get some favorable conditions next weekend!
    View attachment 7383071
    View attachment 7383072
    Are some cases fire formed and others are not?
    Shoulder on left most two columns appears to be different than the other eight columns.
    More radius vs defined shoulder angle from neck to body.
    Could easily be optical delusion though.
    5F08C1AD-5E37-4406-AD91-5CCA040F7CD2.jpeg

Attachments

• FC000B60-CD97-41DB-9467-9A9A1D83521D.png
      FC000B60-CD97-41DB-9467-9A9A1D83521D.png
      2 MB · Views: 40
    You've got a really good eye! I purchased a Warner Tool resize die for the .416. The body bushing inside the die broke on the very first piece of brass I resized. I guess it was my fault. I was using imperial lube and you're not supposed to. Well I wanted to resize the brass that I fired during my pressure test and accuracy testing and the replacement bushing wasn't going to be finished before our trip. As an emergency backup, I purchased a f/l resize die from CH4D. Those last couple rows were once fired and resized with that die. It leaves a small radius at the base of the necks, but they close fine in the chamber.

Reactions: camocorvette
    You've got a really good eye! I purchased a Warner Tool resize die for the .416. The body bushing inside the die broke on the very first piece of brass I resized. I guess it was my fault. I was using imperial lube and you're not supposed to. Well I wanted to resize the brass that I fired during my pressure test and accuracy testing and the replacement bushing wasn't going to be finished before our trip. As an emergency backup, I purchased a f/l resize die from CH4D. Those last couple rows were once fired and resized with that die. It leaves a small radius at the base of the necks, but they close fine in the chamber.

what are you supposed to use to lube the brass?

Reactions: Bradu

You kidding me?? What kind of shit engineering is that? My bushing neck/shoulder dies don’t fail with imperial or any other lube. Formed a lot of 50bmg cases into 416 variants, no fail.

Reactions: Geno C.
    You kidding me?? What kind of shit engineering is that? My bushing neck/shoulder dies don’t fail with imperial or any other lube. Formed a lot of 50bmg cases into 416 variants, no fail.
    And how many have you hydraulically dented because of improper application? Its not that it wont work in most cases, but when improperly applied, problems occur. And in some situations, like the one we have here, the wax simply does yield enough lubricity.

I wouldn't think a die case bushing shouldn't break on 1st piece of brass resized. It sounds like a heat treat issue to brittle. I worked in steel heat treat years ago in Aerospace and when we had parts fail it usually due to improper heat treat or quench.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Geno C.
    Yea, could be. Double drawn and Rockwell tested good, so I just don't know,for sure.
    Had one other from the same lot in460 Styre
    Do the same thing. Al the rest are out there working fine. Both appeared dry of lube when I got them returned. Shit happens!

Reactions: MACHTECH
    Yea, could be. Double drawn and Rockwell tested good, so I just don't know,for sure.
    Had one other from the same lot in460 Styre
    Do the same thing. Al the rest are out there working fine. Both appeared dry of lube when I got them returned. Shit happens!

Thanks for discussing openly, Alan. I use imperial, but I work it in and spend time spreading it out, in part because handloading is part of my stress therapy routine. But it's good to know when I buy a die from you to use the right SOP.