• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Fieldcraft Thinking about one of these for my Bag,

Re: Thinking about one of these for my Bag,

Seems like it would be a quick shelter if you have the trees strong enough to hold it. I would imagine in a terrain that didn't afford you that type of vegetation you could spike it down and pop it up in the center. Only draw back I see is the lack of insulation under you as you sleep. If you're not in cold weather I'd think it would be fine. Have fun

Jaeger_308 I have been looking at one of these and the only thing that has stopped me is that I am not sure how a 54 year old back will hold up. I think it might be better for me than a pad on the ground after a couple of nights though.

I will be interested in hearing your experiences. Hope it works out well for you.

I used that design a lot 20 years ago when I spent a lot of time on the App Trail and rock climbing. I prefer a ground sheet and tarp now.....the need to get flat and have my gear real accessible converted me. With the hammock I strapped my pack to a tree with a rain cover. Only thing I didnt like about it then was that when you are in it you are in it.....egress is not fast or graceful. Now you can get some good 3 season tents that pack about the same and weigh similiarly.....not so much back then.

i have been using hammocks when camping and hiking for about a year now and they are awsome. Much more cumfortable, and if you have a bad back they are even better. If in cold weather you must have something under you. weather it be a pad or blanket you need something. Jesse