• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Three Gorges Second Chance?

DarnYankeeUSMC

McCarthy Was Right
Minuteman
  • Mar 18, 2012
    In your head
    The dam survived the internet scam of blurred and distorted pictures.
    China is going to one up themselves and build another dam three times as big. So there will be another chance in the future. Skimming through the article it seems like there's a lot of reasons not to build it. But I'm sure they will push forward. It looks like an ambitious project.

That damn is all about strategic power using the water source for India.

creating that damn abs others in that area makes India have to play ball with China’s whims.

Fake news, conspiracy, unsubstantiated..... China would not do something like that!!!
    (Cough cough)
    That damn is all about strategic power using the water source for India.

creating that damn abs others in that area makes India have to play ball with China’s whims.
    Build an island to control an important shipping lane?

• Haha
    Reactions: XLR308
    Actually no

India already is trying to sue China.

China has been building small dams for a while saying it’s for agriculture

Those water ways control the drinking water for some crazy number like 500,000,000 people.

You might be suprised who is helping India. It’s a complicated web, and China is not undefeatable. India and China have been at it again this year at the LoC. After China losing 45+ to the Indian army last year (mostly made up of Tibetans), and mixing it up again in January they are pretty embarrassed. Those two are beginning to really not play well together and China making inroads to Pakistan is not helping.

But the US is supporting India while using them for Chinese containment both on the ground and the sea while India plays its insurance card by buying Russian arms as well so there’s that. Add to that the competition between China and Russia involving lanes of commerce and resources being sold to Europe and it gets very twisted. Not to mention Africa.

Then add in China aiding Bangladesh who hates what India is doing in pursuit of its Hindu First policy with the concentration camps of Natural born Indians of Bangladeshi decent and you have a strategic soup in all directions.

Last edited:
    Northern India floods are seasonal and people die on the regular. When the rains come off the Himalayas it can be a shit show.

I see China as the Roman empire. They are stretching out across the game board. At what point will they have gone too far?
    I posted, who's going to stop them? India? Even with our backing they're not a match. Do you see any narrative the people would accept for us to put troops to backup India in a conflict with China? The Russians are not going to get involved, other than to make money, in anything that involves their enemies. Especially since it's enemy against enemy. They will sit back and stoke the fire while collecting the check for arms.
    You might be suprised who is helping India. It’s a complicated web, and China is not undefeatable. India and China have been at it again this year at the LoC. After China losing 45+ to the Indian army last year (mostly made up of Tibetans), and mixing it up again in January they are pretty embarrassed. Those two are beginning to really not play well together and China making inroads to Pakistan is not helping.

But the US is supporting India while using them for Chinese containment both on the ground and the sea while India plays its insurance card by buying Russian arms as well so there’s that. Add to that the competition between China and Russia involving lanes of commerce and resources being sold to Europe and it gets very twisted. Not to mention Africa.

Then add in China aiding Bangladesh who hates what India is doing in pursuit of its Hindu First policy with the concentration camps of Natural born Indians of Bangladeshi decent and you have a strategic soup in all directions.
    Yeah, it's a complicated web but when it's stripped to the basics. The current climate of DC is not going to get involved in a proxy against China. China could stop ships heading to our ports. The economic results would be crushing.

China wants us in a proxy much less than we do.

We can function with out China goods China can’t function with out US and EU money.

China doesn’t want to take anything over because they know it’s a impossible task to fund and hold. To much land and too many people all with different religious beliefs.

they just want to be keeper if the area so they can do as they please, and use that land and sea mass like the ussr had done with Eastern Europe. But Russia wanted total control of the countries which is one reason it failed.

China just want the goods keep you little government for TV but “I’ll develop and take your crops and oil”

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
    I see China as the Roman empire. They are stretching out across the game board. At what point will they have gone too far?
    I posted, who's going to stop them? India? Even with our backing they're not a match. Do you see any narrative the people would accept for us to put troops to backup India in a conflict with China? The Russians are not going to get involved, other than to make money, in anything that involves their enemies. Especially since it's enemy against enemy. They will sit back and stoke the fire while collecting the check for arms.

Yeah, it's a complicated web but when it's stripped to the basics. The current climate of DC is not going to get involved in a proxy against China. China could stop ships heading to our ports. The economic results would be crushing.
    No to be insulting here, so don't take it as such: you need to get educated on the lay of the land over there and how others are playing on the global stage with respect to China. if you listen to our media, China is a huge powerhouse that is immortal. It isn't so, but they are very formidable. They have their own barbarians at the gates. India is not a minor power in the area and actually controls a series of waters that China uses for commercial shipping lanes. They are enough of a match on land air and sea to cause serious issues to the Chinese economy and the leadership knows this. To impact China you don't have to destroy them, you just have to impact their god - the China GDP. India is well able to do this. The best way to look at it is like grounding a jet - you don't need to destroy it, all you need to do is compromise the skin on the wing and it will be out for weeks if not months making repairs. This is the game along with traditional kinetic action threats.

Russia and China have been clashing concerning Chinas Belt and Road initiative, China's desire to do an end run around Russia with petroleum into Europe (which is getting into the major revenue stream of Russia), as well as China claiming to be a part owner of the Arctic and their intention to claim at least enough territory there for shipping lanes, which again fucks with Russia's desire to seal it up for their own commercial use. Then you have Australia and other countries.

Who will stop China? It wont be one country, but a series of countries that want to REDUCE the Chinese threat via proxy events. I don't think stop is on anyone's radar as everyone also realizes the benefits they all get from eating the dragon's eggs. I have doubts with this administration on whether or not the US will be involved in any major way.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
    It's definitely a war game to hash out.
    Trump proved to the people that we can survive without China but an immediate cut off would strip the shelves in the box stores in a couple of weeks. The recovery would take years but would be worth it. It would hurt China but I don't think as much as many believe/think. Food supplies would be their biggest hit. I think other sources would step up production for the higher prices China would be willing to pay.

If I believed our media.....
    No to be insulting here, so don't take it as such: you need to get educated on the lay of the land over there and how others are playing on the global stage with respect to China. if you listen to our media, China is a huge powerhouse that is immortal. It isn't so, but they are very formidable. They have their own barbarians at the gates. India is not a minor power in the area and actually controls a series of waters that China uses for commercial shipping lanes. They are enough of a match on land air and sea to cause serious issues to the Chinese economy and the leadership knows this. To impact China you don't have to destroy them, you just have to impact their god - the China GDP. India is well able to do this. The best way to look at it is like grounding a jet - you don't need to destroy it, all you need to do is compromise the skin on the wing and it will be out for weeks if not months making repairs. This is the game along with traditional kinetic action threats.

Russia and China have been clashing concerning Chinas Belt and Road initiative, China's desire to do an end run around Russia with petroleum into Europe (which is getting into the major revenue stream of Russia), as well as China claiming to be a part owner of the Arctic and their intention to claim at least enough territory there for shipping lanes, which again fucks with Russia's desire to seal it up for their own commercial use. Then you have Australia and other countries.

Who will stop China? It wont be one country, but a series of countries that want to REDUCE the Chinese threat via proxy events. I don't think stop is on anyone's radar as everyone also realizes the benefits they all get from eating the dragon's eggs. I have doubts with this administration on whether or not the US will be involved in any major way.
    Definitely a war game to hash out.
    The issues we have are the Pravda and getting anything on a global scale without a deep dive into the www.
    A coalition? Hmmmm, sounds pretty biblical.

It's definitely a war game to hash out.
    Trump proved to the people that we can survive without China but an immediate cut off would strip the shelves in the box stores in a couple of weeks. The recovery would take years but would be worth it. It would hurt China but I don't think as much as many believe/think. Food supplies would be their biggest hit. I think other sources would step up production for the higher prices China would be willing to pay.
    Indeed that is the case
    As Chinese PPP grows so does the importance of the Chinese internal market,at a certain point domestic market alone will make their economy much less export-dependent than folks like to believe. US companies will be as or more desperate to sell on Chinese market as Chinese will be on the Us market.The biggest mistake is US forcing Russia into a partnership with China , something Russia is actually not to keen on. But for Chinese that means all the resources they might want via land borders where the US can't really interfere. And this will continue as Biden admin is more or less on the same trajectory.

I don't see any real policy change that would make US economy more robust, blowing up bubbles with trillions of $$ on Wall Street is not going to make much impact on Mainstreet and definitely little impact on competing with the Chinese economy.Kungflu just gave them half a decade worth of headstart.

Remember US and Soviet Union cold war , US held a huge economic advantage in some periods it was something like 4:1 , the soviet union was not even remotely close to being an Economic Peer, Chinese will be economically stronger than the US in a couple of years in USD terms while in PPP(how much money buys in China) they are already considerably ahead.

Wasnt Three Gorges…..

30678FEF-BED7-43DF-B2BF-78CBB77CAA78.gif

Reactions: FWoo45
    Don’t want regular civilians to die for no reason…buuuut..would be great to see the reaction of the Chinese govt explain away a failure of that magnitude.

Just a layman's observation...

The Chinese seem to be very good at organizing short term solutions without considering long term impacts.

The four evils. The one child policy. And probably several more that I can't recall right now...

Mike

Reactions: sirhrmechanic