• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

F T/R Competition Tight neck or non neck turn neck for 6.5x47 Lapua? Barrel length? Profile?

stubbicatt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
Westminster, CO
In the process of building a rifle in 6.5x47 Lapua. I will never be a serious competitor, but maybe one to three times a year I'll give it a whirl. The only custom rifle I have owned was a AR15 spacegun I built in the 90s, and it had a standard chamber I guess... Krieger chambered the barrel and installed it on the upper receiver, so I don't really know.

Anyways, as I approach this build, I'm pretty settled on an 8 inch twist, 3 groove barrel. I would like to get a tight neck, but am unsure of the dimensions, and I'm thinking that while the gunsmith does have a reamer, if I purchase my own, I can get mine cut to whatever dimensions I desire, AND perhaps have it used to create a sizing die?

Everyday I read the postings here and am amazed at the wealth of knowledge and experience on this board, so I thought perhaps you might be able to help me decide what neck dimensions seem to yield the best accuracy, longevity, or other unknown to me benefits.

I guess I'd also like your advice on barrel length and profile. I figgered maybe 30 inches and a light or medium Palma contour? Sure appreciate your suggestions.

Anybody ever have a sizing die cut from the same reamer as was used in his rifle barrel?

Thanks in advance fellas.

I use a custom die, measured from brass properly fireformed in an AE UK barrel 7.62x51 chamber and set to give me .002 neck tension with my brass. I still can't tell the difference on paper between loads made using that die and good factory match ammo.

And I've never had a reason to chamber a rifle with so tight a neck tolerance that it limits me to one type of brass or requires me to turn necks. That's for Benchrest shooters who anchor their rifles.

Med Palma contours are popular. In F class you have weight limits, so that will govern your contour and barrel length.

Last edited:
I use a custom die, measured from brass properly fireformed in an AE UK barrel 7.62x51 chamber and set to give me .002 neck tension with my brass. I still can't tell the difference on paper between loads made using that die and good factory match ammo.

And I've never had a reason to chamber a rifle with so tight a neck tolerance that it limits me to one type of brass or requires me to turn necks. That's for Benchrest shooters who anchor their rifles.

Med Palma contours are popular. In F class you have weight limits, so that will govern your contour and barrel length.

With a 6.5x47, you would be shooting in F-Open 22 lb (10 kg) weight limit. You could use a 30" barrel with a 1.2" diameter and still not be over-weight.

Graham, if one shoots "F Open" is there a weight limitation? I know there is for F/TR. I'll go and see if I can find the rules.

Thanks alot. I guess the "tight neck" is probably not such a great idea then? I wish I knew more than I do, so I could make a comfortable decision. I suppose that if I start with a tight neck, and it turns out to be a silly decision, I can always have the neck "opened up" a bit later, to accommodate standard cartridges.

Again thanks for taking time to help.

(1) The rifles overall weight, including all attachments such as sights and bipod, must not exceed 10 kilograms (approximately 22 pounds). An attachment also includes any external object, other that the competitor and apparel, which recoils or partially recoils with the rifle, or which is clamped, held, or joined in any way to the rifle for each shot, or which even slightly raises with the firing of the rifle from the rests).

http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf