• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tikka bolt interchangeability

DynamicAccuracy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2017
Mexico, MO
Ive heard the t3 actions are all the same length? And that the bolt dictates whether its a LA or SA? Reason im asking is because it would be nice to build a hunting rifle off a tikka action i could have a bolt/barrel for a 28 nosler, bolt/barrel for a 6.5x47.

Is it pretty easy to swap bolt stops?
Yep. Remove the action from the stock, one small pin that pulls out with a small pair of pliers (or finger tips if you put a little pressure on the bolt stop). There's a small coil spring that seats in a pocket in the bolt stop towards the rear of the action. Easy-peasy.

Next question, where to buy the second bolt?
Sometimes these guys have the bolts in stock and when they don't they usually get them back in pretty quick.
Bolts are not cheap.....
You'll need to scroll through several pages to see the full assortment of parts.
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/tikka-rifle/parts.html
Page 8 has what your looking for but shows out of stock.
Get on their notify list and you'll know when they are in stock but if you want one don't hesitate cause they sell out pretty quick.
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/tikka-rifle/parts.html?page=8

Last edited:
The 28 and 300 WM have the same Saami spec length,problem might be the base diameter of the nosler being slightly larger fitting the 300 magazine.
The problem is nosler neutered the round @ Saami length, to use big bullets seated to the neck/ shoulder junction with appropriate throat you are more like 3.7+"

At $370 for a bolt alone, seems like for another $130 or so you could get a whole used rifle, make a separate barreled action, and save yourself the hassle of changing barrels.
But you save ALOT only having one higher end optic and a quality stock or chassis and one $450 bix 'n' andy trigger. The 6.5x47 barrel would just be a backup incase my match rifle's barrel in 6.5x47 burnt out midseason. The 28 nosler barrel would be on it most of the time

But you save ALOT only having one higher end optic and a quality stock or chassis and one $450 bix 'n' andy trigger.

Yes I agree... What I’m trying to say is that all of that stuff is easily transferred to a different barreled action in a few seconds with common hand tools. If you’re switching barrels on the same action, it’s not that big a deal but will still at least require a bench, action wrench, and barrel vice. And a little more time. Splitting hairs really. But worh noting.

Wto has a Tikka swtchlug in the works
...and there are Tikka barrel nuts available from PVA and others. That doesn't solve the bolt face issue, but with the flexibility that exists regarding action length on the T3s, you can run short or long action cartridges that share the same bolt face... so, you could go from 22-250 to 284 Win or 30-06, for instance.