• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

To the tick turds that keep hoarding the .22 lr stores, I will be laughing hard

Guys at work always look at me funny when I stop at WallyWorld before work in the morning and come in with a coupe random boxes of ammo. I'm not hoarding. When i want to go to the range, I want to load up and go. Without having to make 5 stops hoping the store has ammo. As the other guys said, we're preparing.

My guess would be when you have more of something than the OP has.

Typical America anymore, you decided to trade your currency for ammo when it was two or three cents a round, (by the way that was 2009), instead of running down to get the latest 79 3/4 inch plasma TV, or a brand new I-whatever the fuck and now your some sort of hoarder.

I must have seen the light when me and the wife would go to wally and pick up six boxes each of the 525 pack federals and walk out the door for 201.00USD. That was the limit, and i wisely did that every week for quite a while.

If there is any way at all someone can explain how me doing that in 2009 has contributed to today's shortage, I'll ship you one of those 525 round boxes.

I'm the last guy in the company running a crackberry for a reason, I'd rather exchange my hard earned currency for something I'll have in three years than some shit that won't matter in three months, but I've always had an issue or two about things like this.....

+1
I don't understand all of the whining from the people that are upset because some folks bought so they wouldn't be caught short.

No problem ordering ammunition. Just not cheap bulk ammo.
Tonight's big decision was which bricks to order.
Center X at 23 cents a round or Hornady V-Max 17 hmr at
22 cents a round. Both are consistent, both produce worthwhile
results at the target. Pellet rifle is for plinking and warming up.
When it comes time to see what I can do on paper at 100 yards
I don't need to be blaming the ammo for screwups. Can't learn
anything that way. Better to spend my cash on the "good stuff".

Last edited:
This is going to end with the biggest rimfire ammunition glut we've ever seen in our lives. It has to. People are buying far more, and if anything they're shooting less, if at all. We have become a victim of our own damn creation. People want this stuff simply because they can't get it. Not because they want to shoot more, or at all for that matter. So we have a situation where people are stripping the shelves at ANY price, and stockpiling it. People who once kept a couple of bricks handy at $10.00 a brick, for plinking on a Sunday afternoon, now want a closet full for $70.00 a brick so they can stand there and look at it while drinking beer. Every time I go to my club range, the rimfire range is empty. There always used to be a half dozen people there, blasting away with 10/22's and Marlin 60's.

The salesman at Cabela's told me .22 rimfire rifle and pistol sales are way down because people can't get ammo for them. So the fact of the matter is .22 gun sales are at a low ebb, along with a lot of the shooting activity that surrounds them. While .22 ammunition sales continue off the chart, at prices that would make a plaid suited car salesman cry. This is / was no different than the housing bubble. All these dickheads lined up to pay over twice what the house they were buying was actually worth. Then cried when the value plummeted to less than half that.

All these people paying $70.00+ a brick, "so they'll have it". Are all going to be crying when they have to either sell it, or else shoot it knowing it's costing them .20 cents a round doing it. While the guy next to them is paying 1/4th as much. This is like watching a dog chase his tail.

There is no problem ordering anything if you're willing to pay over 5 times what it's actually worth.

Surprisingly, match ammo is still about the same cost as pre-panic.
Center-X on sale in 2010 was 9 bucks a box, now it's 10 and change.
Hornady 17 hmr V-Max was 12.99 per 50 at wally world back then,
now I can find it at $10.53 a box of 50 on line. Better deal even with shipping.

Surprisingly, match ammo is still about the same cost as pre-panic.

True. The problem is now people are forced to buy it because bulk ammo is all but unobtainable, let alone at a good price. The same thing happened with .223 after that panic set in. All you could find was the Match Grade stuff for $20.00+ a box. The Mall Ninjas were all whining because they couldn't afford to bump fire it into hillsides at that price.

The dump is coming, the bubble is going to bust! Looks like things are hitting the shelves again. So, the prices might be a little bit higher, but nothing like the gouging that has been going on. I feel bad for the Dads out there that couldn't go shooting with the kidz. Those are the ones I feel the worst for, screw the tickturds .....the burst is coming!

The dump is coming, the bubble is going to bust! Looks like things are hitting the shelves again. So, the prices might be a little bit higher, but nothing like the gouging that has been going on. I feel bad for the Dads out there that couldn't go shooting with the kidz. Those are the ones I feel the worst for, screw the tickturds .....the burst is coming!

I agree. Remember Silver in the 80's? They were standing in line to buy it at $54.00 an ounce. A few months later it was at $6.00.

This is going to end with the biggest rimfire ammunition glut we've ever seen in our lives. It has to. People are buying far more, and if anything they're shooting less, if at all. We have become a victim of our own damn creation. People want this stuff simply because they can't get it. Not because they want to shoot more, or at all for that matter. So we have a situation where people are stripping the shelves at ANY price, and stockpiling it. People who once kept a couple of bricks handy at $10.00 a brick, for plinking on a Sunday afternoon, now want a closet full for $70.00 a brick so they can stand there and look at it while drinking beer. Every time I go to my club range, the rimfire range is empty. There always used to be a half dozen people there, blasting away with 10/22's and Marlin 60's.

The salesman at Cabela's told me .22 rimfire rifle and pistol sales are way down because people can't get ammo for them. So the fact of the matter is .22 gun sales are at a low ebb, along with a lot of the shooting activity that surrounds them. While .22 ammunition sales continue off the chart, at prices that would make a plaid suited car salesman cry. This is / was no different than the housing bubble. All these dickheads lined up to pay over twice what the house they were buying was actually worth. Then cried when the value plummeted to less than half that.

All these people paying $70.00+ a brick, "so they'll have it". Are all going to be crying when they have to either sell it, or else shoot it knowing it's costing them .20 cents a round doing it. While the guy next to them is paying 1/4th as much. This is like watching a dog chase his tail.
Well, I have surely bought my fair share of 22 ammo over the past yr but I like to shoot it when I go to the range. I also like to have plenty of it on hand so I can just go to my room and pick it up. I don't have to worry about going to wal mart on the day of shooting to try and get some. I have averaged some where around 5.5-6 cents per round for mine except for my Lapua and Sk and or Eley high grade stuff for my anschutz. Most of that is around 10/11 cents or so per round. It is out there for purchase if you want to look for it but for the better prices, you have to buy in bulk and you have to wait for it. Wolf/Sk can be had for 530 shipped per case from certain places but if you buy from Brunos, that same ammo is 700 plus shipping to get it now. If people want to pay more for it, then by all means, it's their money, buy whatever you want to. If you shoot it great, if you hold onto it, good for you. Hang onto it for long enough and this will all come back around again. If prices plummet, buy it for the lower price and use it. Stuff is good for generations. It won't go bad. I am still shooting stuff that I bought back in the early 90's. I will continue to buy most reasonably priced ammo because it won't go below a set price. The manufacturers won't let it. They will cut supply back to make sure they do not lose money. Also, people don't have to buy specific guns to shoot 22's. Most that I know either have a 22 drop in for their ar and glock or they have some type of ruger. Tons of semi's out there which gobble up ammo. Buddy of mine goes prairie dog shooting with his kids and a couple of rugers and burn up 10k rounds a couple times a yr in just 3 days. Glad I don't have that bill yet. My boy will be that age in few yrs and I'll have to have the ammo saved up for then. Gotta keep buying.

This .22LR ammo problem hits me personally. I'm the Scoutmaster for a Boy Scout Troop that is not wealthy. Truth is, many of our Scouts have trouble affording the modest campouts we go on due to their family's financial situations. So, to tack on the relatively high (current) cost of ammo for earning the rifle Merit Badge and it becomes too much for the parents to take on so they don't. We're not the only troop in this position.

Before Sandy Hook I had about 10,000 rounds on hand. Got that ammo for between two and three and a half cents per round. Between a dozen merit badges, and a few family shoots, we're down to about 1,000-ish at last count. Hoping the price gets to five cents or better on my door step because I'm not shooting my .22LR's until I can get that supply back up above the 2,500 mark. I can honestly say I was not prepared for the shortage to last this long, then again, I didn't think I was going to have to support a whole troop for two plus years.

Thanks for listening.

It eats me alive that our Constitutionally-protected passion is now pricing many of us out of the market. I look(ed) forward to spending many years teaching my sons safe and responsible marksmanship at a reasonable price.

I went to a gun show this last weekend here in colorado and found federal 22 ammo, the 550 box they wanted $70 a box! didn't see anyone buying it but I didn't stay to find out. Makes you think of what else do we take for granite being there when we think it should be........ My wife has been stocking up on shoe's for years, she's a fashion survivalist!

This .22LR ammo problem hits me personally. I'm the Scoutmaster for a Boy Scout Troop that is not wealthy. Truth is, many of our Scouts have trouble affording the modest campouts we go on due to their family's financial situations. So, to tack on the relatively high (current) cost of ammo for earning the rifle Merit Badge and it becomes too much for the parents to take on so they don't. We're not the only troop in this position.

Before Sandy Hook I had about 10,000 rounds on hand. Got that ammo for between two and three and a half cents per round. Between a dozen merit badges, and a few family shoots, we're down to about 1,000-ish at last count. Hoping the price gets to five cents or better on my door step because I'm not shooting my .22LR's until I can get that supply back up above the 2,500 mark. I can honestly say I was not prepared for the shortage to last this long, then again, I didn't think I was going to have to support a whole troop for two plus years.

Thanks for listening.

I've struggled too! If you're on the up and up here, pm your address, I'll ship you a brick of CCI for the cause. I buy for 2 youngsters I gave 22's, we have over a years worth of shooting right now, so I'll share the bounty.

Yep. This is just what I got out for easy access , got about 10 times more in a sealed job box. ;-)
04393b5d7443e2c121289a08e9445f5b.jpg

I wish I could find some of that Eley Sport, that's one of the most accurate rounds I've found for my 10-22. Cheap, and shot with the match stuff. I bought one brick at a gun show and it shot awesome, shortly after that it seemed to dry up and I couldn't find it anymore. Could have just been that lot, though.

Went to one site in Texas, A*a*o, price of Blazer 50rnds - $10.95. What the @%#$^

And then it dawned on me that I my old computer using MS-Windows XP is messing up where it displays the decimal point. Dealers are now showing ammo prices like gasoline at gas stations, e.g. Regular - 337 9/10, Super - 357 9/10.

It's supposed to be $1.09 5/10 per box. I feel sooo stupid.

Actually, things frequently get cheaper.

Generally speaking if technology is the gating factor in a price that price is going down because tech scales and competition drives prices down. This isn't even adjusting for inflation.

jagura7a.jpg

This is true even for things that are relatively limited in quantity (eg natural resources) but that benefit from the application of technology:

2e8epyna.jpg

Some kinds of prices do tend to go up.

Eg when artificially supported by artificial monopolies (diamonds), driven up by investment bubbles (ammunition, gold, housing), true shortages (rare minerals) or skilled labor (especially true as skilled work forces in previously dirt-cheap geos raise their standard of living over time.

So this didn’t pan out too well. There’s a difference between commodities and general products.

The point being Sargent Douchebag, that 6 years later the issues are exactly the same.

Matt,

Thank you for my promotion from Corporal Douche bag to "Sergeant".
A kind word of advice, watch what and whom you say things to on the Hide it will tend to follow you around. We are all a bunch of well meaning and generally light hearted fellows on here😉

Anyway you have a great weekend,

- Jon

Reactions: 308pirate
The point being Sargent Douchebag, that 6 years later the issues are exactly the same.

The point will be, you'll find yourself on vacation if you keep this crap up. Settle down, read more, and post less bloviation. You wanna talk shit, take it to the pit.

just bought this last week on target sports. In and out of stock but I’ve had great luck with .22lr, .223, 9mm, and .45 on target sportsby signing up for the notifications. Things are popping up but usually only in stock for an hour or so.
View attachment 7448128
I can find it pretty easily.
Glad you have had luck getting it. My brother is shooting about 1000-2000 rounds per week right now and has had trouble keeping in a steady supply. He just told me about getting a notification from target sports, while he was on his computer and had the TS webpage open in a tab, by the time he added two cases to his cart and clicked buy, they said not enough in stock. So he quickly changed it to one case, but in seconds it was all gone, not even a box left.

That’s why I said what I did.

Reactions: jb0311 and 1J04
If people weren't spending thousands on "my build" but instead using a fucking cheap barrel nut and spending thousands on ammo and reloading components they wouldn't be crying. I guess the last several President elections have served to show that people don't plan better. It is better to have a Harris with a barrel nut shooting .5 with enough shit to ride it out than your dick in your hand.

Glad you have had luck getting it. My brother is shooting about 1000-2000 rounds per week right now and has had trouble keeping in a steady supply. He just told me about getting a notification from target sports, while he was on his computer and had the TS webpage open in a tab, by the time he added two cases to his cart and clicked buy, they said not enough in stock. So he quickly changed it to one case, but in seconds it was all gone, not even a box left.

That’s why I said what I did.
If he’s shootings that much I wonder if he has a prime membership? It seems counterintuitive with the shortages but it’s worth it to me since they send their members back in stock notifications 3 hours earlier than everyone else. I mention that 1) because it would be worth the $100 for someone shooting that much and 2) it has not been my experience at all to have a product disappear that quickly after getting a text. Like not on any caliber, even 9mm defense rounds or .223 which I assume is flying off the shelves quicker than 22lr.

hope this helps.