• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Took the new 700 out today

lightsareout

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
Clarksville, TN
Went out today to sight in my new 700. It started shooting nice groups once I get it zeroed in but it started getting sloppy. I looked at the scope and it looks to me like it is moving in the rings. The scope was mounted when I bought the gun at Gander Mountain. The picture shows it looks like the scope moved 1/8-1/4inch in the rings. Are the rings just not tight enough?

img1662copy.jpg

img1664copy.jpg

Re: Took the new 700 out today

When you say the scope was mounted at Gander Mtn, do you mean they mounted it for you or it came with the scope from the factory?

Either way, I would take the scope off and remount it. Use the proper torque settings and some blue loctite and it won't move again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you say the scope was mounted at Gander Mtn, do you mean they mounted it for you or it came with the scope from the factory?

Either way, I would take the scope off and remount it. Use the proper torque settings and some blue loctite and it won't move again. </div></div>

It was a package deal so my guess is that it came from the factory. I will have to remount it or just wait until i get a better scope for the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you say the scope was mounted at Gander Mtn, do you mean they mounted it for you or it came with the scope from the factory?

Either way, I would take the scope off and remount it. Use the proper torque settings and some blue loctite and it won't move again. </div></div>

People at retail stores know jack shit normally when it comes to rifles. Make sure you do it right. I've talked to some and they know nothing about reloading and what not.

undo the whole mounting set up and redo/torque it yourself. most shops will mount optics in store to create a "package" deal and more than likely the guy that put it together just slapped it together and threw it on display.

even from factory it may come just slapped together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMARINE1108</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What everyone else said.

whistle.gif
(your bipod is on backwards)
whistle.gif
</div></div>

I thought the legs were suppose to fold forward?

I'm going to take it to a reputable gunsmith to have the scope remounted as I don't have the necessary tools to do it myself.

I would agree with the diagnosis on the scope since you could clearly see that it was moving. However, something that you don't want to overlook is the stock. Your setup is similar to the one that I started with when I got into long range shooting. It was common for me to have good groups on one range trip and less than optimal groups on another trip. The stock is just flimsy. After you get you scope mounted back up correctly or find another one to use, I would recommend looking at another stock that is a little more solid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMARINE1108</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What everyone else said.

whistle.gif
whistle.gif
</div></div>

Yeah....his bipod is on correctly lol

I have the same gun, but mine didn't come with a scope. With that optic I'd recommend just tightening up those torx bolts and calling it good. No need to take it to a gunsmith IMO.

i had a similiar rem700 pacakge thing. honestly just throw the scope and rings away or put them on a .22lr plinker. i would bet money that scope, even if mounted properly wont hold zero. i guess if you dont have another scope and really wanna shoot the gun tighten it back up and shoot away, i wouldnt bother shooting match ammo though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMARINE1108</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What everyone else said.

whistle.gif
whistle.gif
</div></div>

Yeah....his bipod is on correctly lol </div></div>

Holy crap, it is on right! I'm in the swamps of SC so, you know, swamp gas and all that.
blush.gif

I wouldn't be so quick to just throw the glass away.

If it is serving the function, remount it, torque it properly, a drop of loctite on the bottom ring half when you put it together will help to keep the scope from slipping.

I have seen some inexpensive scopes track, hold zero and return to zero just fine.

Shoot it till you can make a better educated decision on what YOU want in your optics.

What type of groups should I expect at 100 yards? I went back out to the range yesterday after tightening the scope ring screws. They were not all torqued equally so that should be taken care of now. I had to bring the scope back left but it seems to hold zero decently.

Now either its my shooting or its the scope but at 100 yards I'm getting 2 inch groups; and 1-1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. I will try to post pictures later tonight.

I have done a decent amount of rifle shooting (deer hutning) so I'm hoping it isn't my shooting; although I haven't really had a chance to make a shot on a deer farther out than 50 yards in a couple of years.

Ever try lapping the rings to get them square to the scope? You'd be suprised how little contact some rings make with the scope tube out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lightsareout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of groups should I expect at 100 yards? I went back out to the range yesterday after tightening the scope ring screws. They were not all torqued equally so that should be taken care of now. I had to bring the scope back left but it seems to hold zero decently.

Now either its my shooting or its the scope but at 100 yards I'm getting 2 inch groups; and 1-1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. I will try to post pictures later tonight.

I have done a decent amount of rifle shooting (deer hutning) so I'm hoping it isn't my shooting; although I haven't really had a chance to make a shot on a deer farther out than 50 yards in a couple of years. </div></div>

With that gun and properly tuned loads I would say you can expect 1moa or better, at least. Also depends if you're shooting off a bag or bipod... Bag is much steadier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lightsareout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of groups should I expect at 100 yards? I went back out to the range yesterday after tightening the scope ring screws. They were not all torqued equally so that should be taken care of now. I had to bring the scope back left but it seems to hold zero decently.

I have done a decent amount of rifle shooting (deer hutning) so I'm hoping it isn't my shooting; although I haven't really had a chance to make a shot on a deer farther out than 50 yards in a couple of years. </div></div>

With that gun and properly tuned loads I would say you can expect 1moa or better, at least. Also depends if you're shooting off a bag or bipod... Bag is much steadier. </div></div>

I was using Remington UMC ammo yesterday, 150gr. i also have a bipod and i had a sandbag on the back. i was hoping for much better groups

I'd venture to guess that your stock may be flexing up and making contact with the barrel; that is, if the barrel was free floated from the start. I have the non-varmint verson of that SPS stock and when I first put the bipod on it, my groups at 200 yds went from about an inch to 4-6 inches. Low and behold, it was due to the pressure pad at the end of the forearm touching the barrel. Supporting the rifles weight out there, rather than under the lug as I had been, disrupted the barrel's harmonics and opened the groups way up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boudin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd venture to guess that your stock may be flexing up and making contact with the barrel; that is, if the barrel was free floated from the start. I have the non-varmint verson of that SPS stock and when I first put the bipod on it, my groups at 200 yds went from about an inch to 4-6 inches. Low and behold, it was due to the pressure pad at the end of the forearm touching the barrel. Supporting the rifles weight out there, rather than under the lug as I had been, disrupted the barrel's harmonics and opened the groups way up. </div></div>

That is very possible. Next time I go out I will remove the bipod and see if i can get some better groups just using a rest.