• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tripod for chronograph?

neoinarien

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2008
Wisconsin
OK. Apparently, my tripod is also no more.

What's the usual that people use these days? I will be running a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph with 1/4x20 threaded hole.

Also, any Hide vendors to support who sells them?

Thanks again

Re: Tripod for chronograph?

I use one I bught at Cabela's (Professional Heavy Duty 72" tripod, MSRP = $179.99, but I paid ~$129.99). I'm very happy with it for my Beta Shooting Chrony. It's easy to adjust, very solid, and more than tall enough.

Buy the cheapest tripod that will do the job and save your money for a really quality tripod for your spotting scope if you don't have one.

They serve two VERY different purposes. Think of your chrono tripod as an adjustable cardboard box. If you've ever tried to spot of a cheezy tripod, you'll understand what I mean.

John

Agreed, buy the cheapest tripod you can find. You want to be amused if you accidentally shoot the tripod, not pissed off
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TargetTerror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed, buy the cheapest tripod you can find. You want to be amused if you accidentally shoot the tripod, not pissed off
wink.gif
</div></div>
Buying <span style="font-style: italic">"the cheapest tripod you can find"</span> is bad advice. If you're paying attention, I don't know how anyone accidently shoots their chronograph or sensor frame / sky screens, but it seems to me that a cheap and/or shitty tripod is a good start. I don't find amusement when something that was not intended to be shot is shot.

Get a good quality tripod - it doesn't have to be light weight. Heavy is actually good for a chronograph tripod as it is less likely to sway or tip over in the wind <span style="font-style: italic">(and potentially be shot)</span> than a cheap and/or lightweight tripod. You can get buy new aluminum Manfrotto / Bogen tripods relatively inexpensively and there have been some downright great deals on excellent condition used Manfrottos' on the Hide'.

There is a difference between <span style="font-style: italic">"Buy the cheapest tripod that will do the job"</span> as <span style="font-style: italic">jrob300</span> said, and buying <span style="font-style: italic">"the cheapest tripod you can find"</span> as you said. You get what you pay for and if you wind-up with dogshit you have only yourself to blame.

Keith

I gotta agree with the advice of buy atleast a decent tripod for your chrono.

I used the shitty one my wife got free with a camera a few years back, (most certainly equal to the $25 walmart variants). The first time out and just a tiny breeze kicked up and blew the thing right over! It was wobbly as hell. I asked on here for recommendations as I also did not want to spend $100 and on up for a tripod. The best advice I got was to look for an older used one at thrift stores/garage sales.

Turns out my dad had an old school vintage unit that is VERY heavy duty and works perfectly. I am sure you could find one just like it by the dozens at the thrift stores for next to nothing. I would suggest going this route.

I used to use a Slik tripod I had with a Nikon spotting scope. Put it on top of a plastic storage box (for height) and run bungee cords to hold tripod to container so wind would not blow over (just add rocks, etc., to container). Plastic lock ring mech on tripod cracked, so would not hold.

Next tripod I received at XMas years ago. A Sears halogen double work light assy, with stand (tripod!!!). Best gift my in-laws have ever bought for me. My Oehler bolted right to it, the tubing is fairly decent diameter, and it has good height! Should be cheaper than your camera/spotting scope tripod. I used the lights to paint the inside of house at night, but range use is the most important job for tripod.

Your thread specs (1/4 x 20) are the same as mine. Tripod is heavier than camera types, but carries easy. If I can figure out how to post a pic, will do so.

For my purposes this works great.

We bought tripods from Best Buy, the are the SunPak with the ball heads, very easy to adjust for leavel and we use them all the time for our nice spotting scopes for hunting.... Have been very happy with them and they are 50.00 with the trigger mounted ball head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We bought tripods from Best Buy, the are the SunPak with the ball heads, very easy to adjust for leavel and we use them all the time for our nice spotting scopes for hunting.... Have been very happy with them and they are 50.00 with the trigger mounted ball head. </div></div>

Off to Best Buy I go to see what they have