• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Type-s FL die runout - Help, what am I doing wrong?

Any other thoughts on why my Forster FL die is producing more runout than the Redding? Some unique setting that is specific to the Forster that I am not doing correctly?

Any other thoughts on why my Forster FL die is producing more runout than the Redding? Some unique setting that is specific to the Forster that I am not doing correctly?

Beats the ever lovin' behoonies outa me! Maybe you got a bad die, or maybe your middle name is Joe Byfflspx or whatever that little guy with the raincloud over his head in L'il Abner's name was.

No there ain't nothing special you have to do different, except maybe follow the instructions...

Call Forster, good luck...

One thing I do like to do with my CO-AX, is lock the lock ring while I have a case in the die, as in while sizing, once you have the right shoulder bump.

Last edited:

Have you got the expander ball set where the lower third lines up with the vent hole as stated in the instructions, or are you using it without the expander? I've gone around and around in my mind whether or not to use the expander, and since I don't take the time to turn necks, I decided I want the inside dimension (which most affects tension on the bullet) to be the most consistent, so I use the ball.

Runout on my two honed dies are .001-.0015", but I'm indicating off of the bearing surface of seated bullets just forward of the end of the case. Sounds like you're measuring the neck itself. What's the Runout of a loaded round, measured off the bearing surface of the bullet? That's a more meaningful number to me. And btw, .002-0025" ain't bad.

Have you got the expander ball set where the lower third lines up with the vent hole as stated in the instructions, or are you using it without the expander? I've gone around and around in my mind whether or not to use the expander, and since I don't take the time to turn necks, I decided I want the inside dimension (which most affects tension on the bullet) to be the most consistent, so I use the ball.

Runout on my two honed dies are .001-.0015", but I'm indicating off of the bearing surface of seated bullets just forward of the end of the case. Sounds like you're measuring the neck itself. What's the Runout of a loaded round, measured off the bearing surface of the bullet? That's a more meaningful number to me. And btw, .002-0025" ain't bad.

I neck turn all my brass so I don't use an expander. Bullet runout at the bullet ogive for the Forster has averaged 0.0025, compared with the Redding at 0.001. Someone previously mentioned changing the lock ring, or at least not tightening it until a case is in the die (I use a CO-AX press).

I neck turn all my brass so I don't use an expander. Bullet runout at the bullet ogive for the Forster has averaged 0.0025, compared with the Redding at 0.001. Someone previously mentioned changing the lock ring, or at least not tightening it until a case is in the die (I use a CO-AX press).

If you're using one before having it honed, definitely try a few with the expander. Standard full-length dies oversize then rely on the expander to bring it back to a proper size so that they'll work on any brass. Without the ball, you'll probably have the equivalent of 10-12 thou tension. I'm surprised you can even get a bullet seated.

The lock ring advice sounds good, too. I usually let the ram down (or up in your case) and have the shellholder putting pressure on the bottom of the die as I snug the ring down and then lock it.

Last edited: