Unimog 404 -- Anyone here have one?

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Neighbor selling one, ex-Swiss Army, for pretty short $$. 8K miles. No rust at all. Great canvas. It's almost a new truck.

Anyone else here have one and opinions or thoughts? Owning? Maintenance? Parts?

I've always loved 'Mogs. Africa was over-run with them and nothing killed one! Short of a Hellfire.

Cheers,

Sirhr

If you're doing deep water, the rubber boots around axles and stuff tend to dry rot regularly. Parts aren't super common but are easy enough to find.

I'd say buy it. The collection of trucks around my shop would tell anyone not to listen to me though.

Neighbor selling one, ex-Swiss Army, for pretty short $$. 8K miles. No rust at all. Great canvas. It's almost a new truck.

Anyone else here have one and opinions or thoughts? Owning? Maintenance? Parts?

I've always loved 'Mogs. Africa was over-run with them and nothing killed one! Short of a Hellfire.

Cheers,

Sirhr
You need this.

DO IT! I have a buddy who had one and loved it. I've rock crawled with guys who used Mog 404 and 416 differentials, under Jeeps and they are tough as nails. Unmolested Mogs are awesome little trucks!

I spent a large portion of my mechanic career with Benz, unfortunately not on any unimogs. I want one so bad, I just can’t justify it at all. They are so awesome. If you can justify it, buy it

Reactions: Bender and camotoe
I spent a large portion of my mechanic career with Benz, unfortunately not on any unimogs. I want one so bad, I just can’t justify it at all. They are so awesome. If you can justify it, buy it
I spent a large portion with Benz also, Got out of the game however. I also want a MOG. Someday.

Reactions: The D
1617244462263.png

Spotted in Moab, Utah.

My only experience with them was the Cee tractor. A 55mph backhoe was a cool idea. Top heavy but maneuverable. We took them 4 wheeling in training and had a blast.
Biggest issue we had was the fuel tanks. They rusted from the inside out plugging the fuel filters and starving the engine. While driving one over the road I pulled into a Chevy dealership and borrowed thier parts wash tank and an air hose to clean out the filters. We ended up making hoses with air nozzles that would fit the glad hands because it happened so often.
A local made one into a very nice camper.
Would love to have one.

Don't know how common these are in US but over here literally every farmer has one of two plus one or two parts donors lying around. These used to be cheap as hell but now , the older Mogs have become a somewhat collectible item you can find some here or there at cca 15+K$ larger 437 are already cheaper

Too bad Darrin Fink is no longer alive. He had three or four restored Mogs on his ranch outside Douglas, WY. The SH Cup in both 2012 and 2013 was held on an adjacent spread, and on one stage - I can't remember which year - we were shooting out of one of the Mog's beds. Fun!

Anyway, here's a link to a Rocky Mountain Mog enthusiasts' group, of which Darrin was a member, with contact info for many owners who I bet would be a good resource for you.

Good luck with the purchase and post pix or you didn't buy it!

I had to Google a Unimog to see what it is.
I don’t know anything about those, but I see it’s a Mercedes. I worked for Ryder Truck Leasing for 14 years. And while I was there, in the early 80s, we had some Mercedes delivery trucks that were frikkin indestructible. I hated driving them because they were so slow, but they were tanks. They just didn’t tear up. So...if these are anything like the Mercedes trucks we used to have at Ryder, those bastards are tough.

International Harvester actually imported them into they USA a few years back, and sold them under their name. Marketed them towards farmers and ranchers. I know a local guy who has one, and I keep asking him to sell it to me.

The suspension on them is brutal. If you ride in the back, your going to have a sore back guaranteed.

55mph is all you need. A good long hill with a tail wind may push it to 60mph.
55?
Maybe if you drove it off a cliff and had enough room for some free fall

Back in 93 I had a civy Hummer — that thing might as well have been an indy car next to the unimog — 6.2 liter gm diesel with a 3 speed trans — top speed was 74 mph, downhill, you could watch the fuel guage move

Don’t get me wrong, I do like the mog, just don’t plan on going anywhere in a hurry

They say 60 is top. 55 is comfortable.

But they are famous for having a “granny gear” that is something like 100 yards per hour when running in the tach sweet spot.

Cheers, Sirhr

Mogs are trucks and in Europe ,legal limit was always 80km/h cca 50mph .and was really no point in making it go faster with that tiny engine.