Update- (3/31/23)- What Red dot for 11.5” SBR?

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    I’m looking to top an upper for my SBR that can withstand abuse and mainly cold weather (-25 on some occasion)

Thinking about the Aimpoint PRO

I’ve had great luck with Sig Romeo 5 but looking for the best (within reason) option for this

Truck gun/SHTF/HD type rifle in 556

I run a Holosun HS507C-X2 on an ADM QD mount on my 7.5" 5.56 and for a compact setup, it works awesome. But on something like an 11.5", the 510 series is larger and actually designed for a rifle... So it's what I'd recommend. One day I'll eventually get a 510 for it, and then put the 507 on a pistol after I get the slide cut. 👍🏼

The Shake-to-Wake feature on the Holosuns is awesome! Works perfect, and saves shit-loads of battery use. I think they estimate 50K to 100K hours of standby and usage time... Which is ridiculous. Plus, the solar backup, is awesome to have. They're both $309.99 on Amazon.👍🏼

0A163C5D-AD3A-43B9-8413-66B7ECF6BF4A.jpeg
    I’m rocking the Gen 2 AMG from vortex. Like it much better than the EOTech EXPS3

The smallest red dot you can find! The little barrel needs a little red dot. Joking aside. There are so many options now. I like the EO Tech but I'm used to it. I like a RMR as well, it's really personal preference and what you want it to do

The Aimpoint is a good one, but I chose a Holosun for my 10" 300 blk and I've been very happy with it. For my 12.5" 6.8 I went with a Burris 1-6, but that's not as tough an optic by any means. I can shoot it to 500 though.

Attachments

• 20220211_143759.jpg
      20220211_143759.jpg
      450.5 KB · Views: 1,010
    Reactions: FuhQ
    The Aimpoint is a good one, but I chose a Holosun for my 10" 300 blk and I've been very happy with it. For my 12.5" 6.8 I went with a Burris 1-6, but that's not as tough an optic by any means. I can shoot it to 500 though.
    Which Aero handguard is that? I like the smooth look of that setup. What barrel, too? Or, if you bought it as a complete upper, what's the link to it?

I have the Primary Arms SLX 1X Prism on my 12.5” pistol. I like it a lot for the price. I’m attaching the link for you to take a look:

I’m looking to top an upper for my SBR that can withstand abuse and mainly cold weather (-25 on some occasion)

Thinking about the Aimpoint PRO

I’ve had great luck with Sig Romeo 5 but looking for the best (within reason) option for this

Truck gun/SHTF/HD type rifle in 556

This is what you seek: https://aimpoint.us/duty_rds/

Vortex can't handle winter in Canada, aimpoint can, IME. If you want something tough, stick with something proven. I like the pro because of the QD mount, when the vortex failed for me, I couldn't use back up sights. IF the aimpoint pro fails me, at least I can take it off and use the irons.

Is the RDS a newer optic? Anyone know who has those in stock most often?
    Yes it is. I don't think anyone has them yet but check with eurooptic and brownells.

Also, I've had my duty micro left on in temperatures down to -25° F with zero issues. Always on always ready. I personally don't want some other "feature" that could fail me.

Reactions: Milf Dots
    Aimpoint for durability and battery life. I'd go with a T1 or T2 personally since they're easy to find good deals on used. If you'd like something slightly larger a Comp M5. All three of those options also use commonly available batteries.

Reactions: Milf Dots
    I like duty rated electro optics- Aimpoint, Trijicon, perhaps Elcan (and maybe Leupold and VortexAMG?)- because I'm not into gimmicky features. YMMV

Last edited:
    Reactions: 308pirate
    I don’t know about cold weather and would rather buy American BUT Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics, beats the HELL out of Holosun and they seem to hold up.
    I’m hoping Aimpoint hurried up with that duty optic.

Aimpoint Pro or the new Aimpoint Duty RDS would be my choice. Depends if you want a micro dot or full size. I like the larger field of view so I stick with legacy Aimpoints. Eotech is the only other one I trust for hard use.

Keep in mind most optics will suffer in cold weather due to batteries. The Aimpoint will handle it the best, they are made in Sweden after all.

Why?

Aimpoints routinely last 3 - 5 years constantly on.
    Not on a usable setting, which is like 1 or 2 notches below max. More like 8 months to a Year. I have something like 8 or 10 Aimpoint M2/M3/Pros and this is what i have seen from the ones that I leave on 24/7.

When I used to Run the MRO on all my guns, I got maybe 3-6 months depending on the unit. Assuming the battery contact didn't break while swapping them.

Trijicon RMR type 2 for MRDs, Aimpoints for Red Dots is a proven recipe.

Trijicon MRO is not in same league as Aimpoint/Eotech. I have killed a few of them and they suck to run.

Was talking specifically about pistol mounted optics, which is what Aaron Cowan mostly tests.

I have no experience with the MRO, but my RMRs and SROs (I run several of each, and hard) have been bulletproof.

I don’t know about cold weather and would rather buy American BUT Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics, beats the HELL out of Holosun and they seem to hold up.
    I’m hoping Aimpoint hurried up with that duty optic.
    HS is not just made in China- it's a CCP funded and controlled Chinese company called Huanic. If we want to prevent China from stealing the shooting industry from us (like many other industries) we must not ignore that they're a CCP company.

Aimpoint is Swedish. Trijicon is American.

SigSauer Electro Optics bears watching. They are rumored to be developing an US made duty worthy pistol RDS to be pitched to DoD for Big Army.

More than that I don't know.

I do know that their Romeo3 and Romeo3Max PMOs are getting a lot of use in USPSA and I'm sure Sig is learning from it.

SigSauer Electro Optics bears watching. They are rumored to be developing an US made duty worthy pistol RDS to be pitched to DoD for Big Army.

More than that I don't know.

I do know that their Romeo3 and Romeo3Max PMOs are getting a lot of use in USPSA and I'm sure Sig is learning from it.
    Some of them are made in the US. My buddy works in the sig factory and builds/maintains the machines/robots for some of the Sig electro optics.

They are investing alot of money into it, so as much as I dislike Sig as a whole, its probably a matter of time before they come out with something duty worthy. Doubt it will be any cheaper than a RMR. Quality and design costs. Maybe they fold the cost into the MHS or some other business line, but the cost will be there.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Some of them are made in the US. My buddy works in the sig factory and builds/maintains the machines/robots for some of the Sig electro optics.

They are investing alot of money into it, so as much as I dislike Sig as a whole, its probably a matter of time before they come out with something duty worthy. Doubt it will be any cheaper than a RMR. Quality and design costs. Maybe they fold the cost into the MHS or some other business line, but the cost will be there.
    Since sig is mentioned I will add I have about 4-5 romeo 5’s. Yes the Chinese ones. They’ve all been excellent and reliable. That is essentially the optic I’m looking to replace with something better and not Chinese.

That said what are the thoughts on the Romeo 4T? Looks decent. Small. Good reports of the optic and dot clarity and I like the ability to change reticles. I would likely run just the 2moa dot most of the time but the drop reticle could have its place

Reactions: JS8588 and JDB55
    Red dot = Close range = speed on target = live a longer life 😉.

EOTech

Its larger than the Holo / T2 / micros. But its arguably faster to track a target from non conventional shooting positions. SBU prone , support side , ect....

Have you had one in hand? Looking for a RDS as well to get away from the MRO and the awesome parallax issues that go along with it.

Is this aimpoint comparable in the objective lens size to the MRO?

I don't pay attention to objective lens diameter.

Reflex sights are for looking past, not looking through. If you don't believe me, cover up the front of yours with tape, look at the target, and shoot.

I don't pay attention to objective lens diameter.

Reflex sights are for looking past, not looking through. If you don't believe me, cover up the front of yours with tape, look at the target, and shoot.
    I get that and agree. But I still like the larger window of the MRO. I was issued one for a while and grew used to that aspect of it.

If this duty RDS is the same as or close to the MRO , and as durable as the T2, aimpoint will own the market IMO