Update- (3/31/23)- What Red dot for 11.5” SBR?

I understand what you’re say, 3A batteries are everywhere and the battery life is significantly bette. But most of my lights etc run on 123A batterie. I did store a couple energizer lithiums in my pistol grip because last one I had only lasted about 6 months, not sure what setting. But it was stored on in the safe and it annoyed me that it was dead.
Yeah even my CompM5 has gone through a battery in 8 months. I tried out one of the AA battery powered EoTechs and it was a good optic but just kind of a funky brick to have on a gun.

I think the company is GooninGear - they make a 1913 rail mounted battery holder for CR123 batteries that takes up very little space, I don't need them but it might be handy to somebody.

I gravitate towards the Aimpoints…have had a M3 for 10+ yrs, run it hard, and have changed the battery once. Bought a PRO a few years back as they quit making the M3’s…stacks up pretty well thus far….that duty RDS looks pretty sweet though. I like the larger glass too, but agree with 308pirate…I run the PRO on my 11.5” with the objective lens cover on about 50% of the time…running it with both eyes open superimposes the dot on the target, so🤷🏼‍♂️ I’m from the central oregon mountains, and have run the M3 & PRO in -30F conditions plenty enough to know they work well in the cold…lots of good choices out there though😉😁

I have/had Aimpoint compm4, T1, H2. I have never had a battery die on them. I change them out every 2 years just on principle, using lithium only. I don’t know if it’s peoples climate or what but I have never seen an Aimpoint die in eight months. And mine are left on middle settings, as they’re usually in the house. I personally like the comp series, even if they are bigger. Just prefer the larger viewing window. Some of the shake awake models are showing signs of that option failing over time. Having to be shook very hard to turn on. I personally have a holosun and 2 Romeo 5’s with this feature but definitely not on my go to guns.

Reactions: Wonka13
Or that. Because fuck turning it on and off and I'm constantly replacing my eotech battery at the most inopportune time.

Yup. My brain just works with the eotech reticle and I get my fastest times in 3 gun with one.

I swear I replace the batteries monthly though.

Would not use on the nightstand rifle, but it works for the gamer rifle.

Picked up a Sig 4T from EO. Perhaps their QC needs improvement as it didn’t function well or at all. Or maybe I’m blind and silly. o_O:) Wouldn’t turn on with 2 different batteries and then I finally got it on for just a minute and saw 14 reticles in the tube. So as to not trash the brand this would be unusual for sig, correct? Only bring it up for discussion to see if I replac it or just suck it up and get a T2 or M5. Best photos I could get with phone.

Attachments

• 90FFA5BC-6864-46A5-81EF-8BE83A7DA912.jpeg
    90FFA5BC-6864-46A5-81EF-8BE83A7DA912.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 282B7147-0059-49E0-BB5C-C9C0650E03FD.jpeg
    282B7147-0059-49E0-BB5C-C9C0650E03FD.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 95
  • E9658A1D-627B-439E-B385-10180B2E9D03.jpeg
    E9658A1D-627B-439E-B385-10180B2E9D03.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 104
Before you jump into red dots, look through a bunch and make sure they will work for you. Do you have an astigmatism? Not knowing doesn’t mean ‘no.’ I didn’t know that I do until I looked through a red dot and saw s big ol’ comma. I can shoot through it on a pistol platform, but would be unsatisfied with that sight picture on a rifle. LPVO or prism for me on a rifle.

Well, that may not help at all, but I hope it does.

Reactions: JDB55
Before you jump into red dots, look through a bunch and make sure they will work for you. Do you have an astigmatism? Not knowing doesn’t mean ‘no.’ I didn’t know that I do until I looked through a red dot and saw s big ol’ comma. I can shoot through it on a pistol platform, but would be unsatisfied with that sight picture on a rifle. LPVO or prism for me on a rifle.

Well, that may not help at all, but I hope it does.
Great points. I was waiting for my son to drag his ass out of bed and validate my findings before I pester EO for a return etc. And I hate to return if it’s good. Maybe he’ll want it. I think my bigger problem however is that it doesn’t turn on. Have it with me now and it’s dead.

Forget I said anything. Optic is fine. According to my son ‘I’m on the spectrum‘. :sneaky::ROFLMAO:
First time I looked through a "red dot" with a reticle, I saw 4, all sorta super-imposed over each other, though off-set by about 1/2 a reticle in different directions. One was 'slightly' brighter than the rest. Worked, but was un-nerving at first. I've since learned to "try before you buy."

Interestingly, a friend has something topped with an EOTech red dot with some sort of reticle. I picked it up and didn't see any aberrations. Don't now why.

First time I looked through a "red dot" with a reticle, I saw 4, all sorta super-imposed over each other, though off-set by about 1/2 a reticle in different directions. One was 'slightly' brighter than the rest. Worked, but was un-nerving at first. I've since learned to "try before you buy."

Interestingly, a friend has something topped with an EOTech red dot with some sort of reticle. I picked it up and didn't see any aberrations. Don't now why.
Because holographic sights look clearer to people with astigmatisms. I have a slight one so red dots work fine for me.
Great points. I was waiting for my son to drag his ass out of bed and validate my findings before I pester EO for a return etc. And I hate to return if it’s good. Maybe he’ll want it. I think my bigger problem however is that it doesn’t turn on. Have it with me now and it’s dead.

I know it's emasculating, but I had to read the manual in order to figure out how to turn on my Romeo4s.

• Haha
Forget I said anything. Optic is fine. According to my son ‘I’m on the spectrum‘. :sneaky::ROFLMAO:
So you have a astigmatism just for clarity and there wasn't something wrong with the optic? If you do my brother in law has a astigmatism bad and the green emitters have worked much better for him and his eyes. Might be worth a shot.

Reactions: TACC
So you have a astigmatism just for clarity and there wasn't something wrong with the optic? If you do my brother in law has a astigmatism bad and the green emitters have worked much better for him and his eyes. Might be worth a shot.
No optic is 100% and my eyes are fine. My brain is up for debate. I can say it’s already mounted and excellent. I will probably never disclose my stupidity.

• Haha
Reactions: JS8588 and JDB55
Lol, will do. How do you like the optic so far? I really wish I would have gotten the FDE one. I'm a peanut butter guy.
Well got her sighted in best I could at the range. I can see it being very effective for it’s intended purpose. I’ve got to find some proper tables for a 300blk in a 12.5" barrel. It does look good…. I know because my son said it was cool.

Looked through a Aimpoint PRO and T2 today.

Unfortunately only the PRO had a battery in it. I did think the PRO had a nicer field of view and was a true 1X where the T2 was off a slight bit

However the size difference was definitely noticeable and being the SBR I’m going with I don’t like the size of the PRO

After seeing some issues with the “wake” function of the 4T having I have decided on the Aimpoint Duty RDS

Will be ordering this week

Thanks for all the help!!

Looked through a Aimpoint PRO and T2 today.

Unfortunately only the PRO had a battery in it. I did think the PRO had a nicer field of view and was a true 1X where the T2 was off a slight bit

However the size difference was definitely noticeable and being the SBR I’m going with I don’t like the size of the PRO

After seeing some issues with the “wake” function of the 4T having I have decided on the Aimpoint Duty RDS

Will be ordering this week

Thanks for all the help!!
Glad you found what you wanted! Enjoy!

P.S. curious about the 4T motac failure/issues. Where did you see/hear this? Thanks

Glad you found what you wanted! Enjoy!

P.S. curious about the 4T motac failure/issues. Where did you see/hear this? Thanks
Seen a few reports in my many hours of searching forums for reports of both. Unfortunately the Aimpoint rds is new so there isn’t a lot of use with that yet. But the PRO holds its own so I’m hoping the RDS will do the same

I’m sure it was AR15.com, M4 or Reddit where I saw those posts but can’t remember.

The shake to wake function does seem like an extra thing to go wrong which a couple reports suggest it was. Would rather have the constant on function and change the battery out on an annual basis

Cold weather (-20°f) at this point seems like an Aimpoint job. Vs hoping an optic turns back on in those temps

I’ll have Magpul BUIS if the optic fails either way

Here is one of them,

Here is one of them,

I'll check it out! Thanks buddy. Enjoy the rig

Reactions: hafejd30
Neither shake awake nor solar backup are duty rated, life and death reliable features that can be counted on for the most critical scenarios.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
Neither shake awake nor solar backup are duty rated, life and death reliable features that can be counted on for the most critical scenarios.
CHINA CHINA CHINA... Them Chinamen gonna get ya! Beware! Don't buy China!

So you must have already sold your phone, computer, internet modem, car/truck, and just about everything else you own, because it was most-likely made in China somewhere down the line. Including your clothes, appliances, etc...

I hate the commie China government as much as anyone, but trying to avoid China products you might as well dig hole and live in it with nothing. Sad reality, but it's reality. ALL governments are corrupt, especially our own... So does that mean we can stop buying American so our government doesn't get any tax money from it, to continue trafficking humans (especially "lost" or "missing" children that end up with people like Epstein), killing people, making corrupt and shady backroom deals, openly calling its own citizens "domestic terrorists" when they don't agree with them or their insane tyrannical policies, want to regulate EVERY aspect of your life, and ban ALL firearms to pretty much non-existence, make you docile with fluoride in the water, feed you poison foods made in a lab of synthetic materials and hormone and steroid-injected animals from disgusting factory-farms, force you to take poison vaccines that are unproven for long-term affects, etc... And while I'm not a Trump supporter due to his BS that we're still dealing with, thanks to allowing the ATF free-reign, and our economy was good, and he was bringing jobs and business back to our shores... But all those same things were STILL going on during his presidency, and before, and still going on now, and sadly, will continue long after Blow Jiden is gone.

Hmmmm, our own government sounds just about as bad, or worse, than the red commie Chinese government, doesn't it? 🤔🤔🤔

Reactions: timk311

Though that may be true of some budget optics in the holosun and sig sauer line, I don't believe you can accurately state that those are "not duty rated" features considering there are optics(optic) that is approved for duty use that utilizes those features. So I'm not sure what baseline that's being judged off of? If we want to say it hasn't been officially adopted by our Marines or our Army or something like that then I can agree (though apparently the 4T has been seen out in the wild on some delta/military guys rifles as well). But other(British SAS and officially the Spanish army plus our own FBI which put it through the same testing as the aimpoints etc) militaries are using them so there's that.

They may get someone killed at some point but to my knowledge they haven't and again optics are in duty scenarios with the feature set so someone tonight is actually relying on them for a life and death situation/potential situation.

Also, it's not a gimmick when an optic can run off ambient light without even a battery in it using solar, that's extremely useful potentially. Just my opinion, but this is the direction the industry is going and eventually when aimpoint and eotech adopt it(if/when patents allow it) they will be praised for it.

My thought on the "blue blood" optics companies is I think it's unfortunate they(aimpoint/eotech) aren't leading the way in bringing features that take things a step above in the Industry. They could do it better then most, though I admit it would cost considerable coin.

Last edited:
Though that may be true of some budget optics in the holosun and sig sauer line, I don't believe you can accurately state that those are "not duty rated" features considering there are optics(optic) that is approved for duty use that utilizes those features. So I'm not sure what baseline that's being judged off of? If we want to say it hasn't been officially adopted by our Marines or our Army or something like that then I can agree (though apparently the 4T has been seen out in the wild on some delta/military guys rifles as well). But other militaries are using them so there's that.

They may get someone killed at some point but to my knowledge they haven't and again optics are in duty scenarios with the feature set so someone tonight is actually relying on them for a life and death situation/potential situation.

Also, it's not a gimmick when an optic can run off ambient light without even a battery in it using solar, that's extremely useful potentially. Just my opinion, but this is the direction the industry is going and eventually when aimpoint and eotech adopt it(if/when patents allow it) they will be praised for it.

My thought on the "blue blood" optics companies is I think it's unfortunate they(aimpoint/eotech) aren't leading the way in bringing features that take things a step above in the Industry. They could do it better then most, though I admit it would cost considerable coin.
I think shake to wake and solar are excellent designs and will be standard in the future. Like anything tho it takes time for people to trust those features and for manufacturers to iron out flaws.

I’d bet higher tier companies wait a few years until proven and reliable options are available. Then add them to their line up. Likely a generation behind what will be out then. However it will be reliable and have a history at that point

When testing my Aimpoint Duty RDS next to my Chinese sig Romeo 5 the sig turned off and had to be turned back on as the shake to wake did not work. On another sig Romeo 5 the optic would turn back on while walking across the floor in the same room as the optic

I use my Romeo 5’s on range toys. Selected Aimpoint for more serious use. Flip up backup sights either way

Until the duty rated optics companies like Aimpoint, Trijicon, and Elcan put shake awake and solar on their top optics, those features will continue to be considered gimmicks.

Holosun is a CCP company and I don't care what the chinese military uses.

Reactions: RayDBonz
I think shake to wake and solar are excellent designs and will be standard in the future. Like anything tho it takes time for people to trust those features and for manufacturers to iron out flaws.

I’d bet higher tier companies wait a few years until proven and reliable options are available. Then add them to their line up. Likely a generation behind what will be out then. However it will be reliable and have a history at that point

When testing my Aimpoint Duty RDS next to my Chinese sig Romeo 5 the sig turned off and had to be turned back on as the shake to wake did not work. On another sig Romeo 5 the optic would turn back on while walking across the floor in the same room as the optic

I use my Romeo 5’s on range toys. Selected Aimpoint for more serious use. Flip up backup sights either way
The shake-to-wake on the Holosun IS reliable. My 507C-X2 has worked perfectly the last 1.5 years.

Until the duty rated optics companies like Aimpoint, Trijicon, and Elcan put shake awake and solar on their top optics, those features will continue to be considered gimmicks.

Holosun is a CCP company and I don't care what the chinese military uses.
Pretty sure I saw a picture a few weeks ago of some Swiss Ops guys running them. So, it's not just the asian countries.

Figured I’d post an update to the RDS in pic above

Rifle was set up almost one year to this day. Rifle spent some time in the truck and majority of winter in a safe

As of today 3/31/23 the battery was officially dead. Last checked about a month or so ago. But while working on the gun today I checked and noted the Duracell 2032 battery was dead.

Replaced with a energizer

In fairness let’s say the life lasted 1 year or (8,760 hours) of use on a mid setting. Say 7 or so out of 10 for brightness

Picked up a Sig 4T from EO. Perhaps their QC needs improvement as it didn’t function well or at all. Or maybe I’m blind and silly. o_O:) Wouldn’t turn on with 2 different batteries and then I finally got it on for just a minute and saw 14 reticles in the tube. So as to not trash the brand this would be unusual for sig, correct? Only bring it up for discussion to see if I replac it or just suck it up and get a T2 or M5. Best photos I could get with phone.

If no one else figured it out - he was looking from the objective lens. The emitter is the dead giveaway.

Interesting. As of now, I own and use five (5) Sig Romeo 4T RD sights. I have used Trijicon MROs and Aimpoints as well, but I have settled on the 4Ts. I really like them. Very robustly built, and the reticle is clear and precise. I am a fan, and just want to share my positive experience with the 4T RDS from Sig. I'm not buying anything else for now.

I'm sold on the 4Ts as well, they all are working well(and my buddies), got one of the new 4T pro in FDE as well. Price is going to stay high no as Sig continues to have more military contracts and YouTubers promote them as "duty grade". Glad I got em when they were cheaper.

Last edited:
FYI the FBI just switched to Aimpoint Comp M4s and the Duty RDS as of a few weeks ago. I am not sure if any other agencies followed.

My biggest complaints about the Duty RDS is they don't use threaded inserts on the optic body or the mount for the main bolt. It's all direct threading.

[...] Also, it's not a gimmick when an optic can run off ambient light without even a battery in it using solar [...]
If you're referring to the Holosun SCS, it has an internal, NON-replaceable battery. It is not "battery-less".

And while the Sig Romeo 4T has solar, Sig removed that on the 4T Pro and 4XT Pro. I agree the Sig Romeo 4T, 4T Pro and 4XT Pro appear to be great optics, as does their Romeo 2, their Romeo 8, and their new Romeo X Pro and X Compact.

If you're referring to the Holosun SCS, it has an internal, NON-replaceable battery. It is not "battery-less".

And while the Sig Romeo 4T has solar, Sig removed that on the 4T Pro and 4XT Pro. I agree the Sig Romeo 4T, 4T Pro and 4XT Pro appear to be great optics, as does their Romeo 2, their Romeo 8, and their new Romeo X Pro and X Compact.

No I wasn't referring to the holosun, the Sig 4T with the solar panel can run without a 2032 in with enough sunlight.

You are correct, I purchased the new 4T-pro(still have the other version) as some of the newer NVG settings(better upgraded coatings, another NVG brightness setting and a dedicated NVG button) seemed advantageous as im delving into that world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milf Dots