Updated advice on optics at or under $1500

Enjoystoshoot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2020
Alabama
Looking for advice and opinions on a scope purchase with a budget up to around 1500 bucks. I've never paid that much for a scope so ie..I've never had a "good" scope before. I'm looking for something that the glass is good enough to see mirage at distances no further than 1000 yards. The most distance I usually shoot is under 800 yards. A little more capability wouldn't hurt. Not looking for anything with more than 25x. I've drove myself nuts looking through reviews, reading, and trying to decipher what the best options are. Seems like a 34 mm tube is preferred and 56mm objectives seem to be the latest and greatest. Tracking seems to be important but with some of the fancier reticles with elevation in the reticle then Idk if it matters so much anymore. Please feel free to share some knowledge to help a fellow make an informed decision. Thanks all in advance.

I'm currently running the new Leupold Mark4HD 8-32x56, and for ~$1500 or less, IMO it's the best thing out there today for the money.

I also have/run a Razor Gen3 (which costs around twice as much) and have looked through my friend's scopes (everything under the sun: NF, Tangent Theta, ZCO, Kahles, etc) and the Mk4HD hangs pretty well up against all/any of them.

That said, a used Razor Gen2 is usually ~$1500 and is still a quality, bombproof option.

I'm currently running the new Leupold Mark4HD 8-32x56, and for ~$1500 or less, IMO it's the best thing out there today for the money.

I also have/run a Razor Gen3 (which costs around twice as much) and have looked through my friend's scopes (everything under the sun: NF, Tangent Theta, ZCO, Kahles, etc) and the Mk4HD hangs pretty well up against all/any of them.

That said, a used Razor Gen2 is usually ~$1500 and is still a quality, bombproof option.
Thank you for info. Watched a review on those earlier today. Along with zeiss, steiner, nf nx8, athlon, arken, bushnell, and I don't even remember how many more at this point. I just want to buy once, cry once of course within that budget limitation but as usual with any spoiled American, i want all that i can get for the $$$

Thank you for info. Watched a review on those earlier today. Along with zeiss, steiner, nf nx8, athlon, arken, bushnell, and I don't even remember how many more at this point. I just want to buy once, cry once of course within that budget limitation but as usual with any spoiled American, i want all that i can get for the $$$

The Mark4HD is a couple of notches above the ones you mentioned as it has the same glass as the Mark5HDs (honestly/arguably the Mk4HD is what the Mk5HD should have been and fixes most of its faults). A Razor Gen2 (and its warranty) is still a staple for a reason.

Whatever you do, don't get tricked into buying an MOA scope (it's an MRAD world), I've seen a couple of newbies get duped, don't be that guy lol.

Good luck!

The Mark4HD is a couple of notches above the ones you mentioned as it has the same glass as the Mark5HDs (honestly/arguably the Mk4HD is what the Mk5HD should have been and fixes most of its faults). A Razor Gen2 (and its warranty) is still a staple for a reason.

Just whatever you do, don't get tricked into buying an MOA scope (it's an MRAD world lol), I've seen a couple of newbies get duped, so don't be that guy.

Good luck!
Lol yea I think mils are my choice. I played with some long range stuff prior to 2015 and then I got hooked on uspsa pistol competitions. I sold most of my long range stuff and shot pistol matches a bunch up until that thing that happened to the world in 2019 and then i just kinda quit shooting altogether. Now the distance bug has caught me again slightly. I think i kinda still remember how to pull a trigger properly but the equipment is lackin.

Reactions: CK1.0
The best advice I can give you is that if it's a choice between something that will hold its value or something cheaper, get the better piece of kit. This sport isn't cheap by any means, but you don't have to go broke to do it either. If you're somewhat careful and buy quality stuff you can use it for a year or two and then flip it and only lose a couple/few hundred bucks... but if you buy something like an Arken/Bushnell/Athlon, you're pretty much stuck with it or will have to accept taking a bath, since anyone who's looking at that type of thing can probably just afford to buy a new one versus taking a chance on some used one...

Reactions: Enjoystoshoot
The best advice I can give you is that if it's a choice between something that will hold its value or something cheaper, get the better piece of kit. This sport isn't cheap by any means, but you don't have to go broke to do it either. If you're somewhat careful and buy quality stuff you can use it for a year or two and then flip it and only lose a couple/few hundred bucks... but if you buy something like an Arken/Bushnell/Athlon, you're pretty much stuck with it or will have to accept taking a bath, since anyone who's looking at that type of thing can probably just afford to buy a new one versus taking a chance on some used one...
That's experience speaking and great advice! Thank you!

Reactions: CK1.0
Man, for $1500 you have so many choices of seriously awesome glass. 10 years ago different story. Free market is a hell of a thing.

I've been in your boat, it wasn't easy. If weight is no issue, Vortex Razor Gen2. They're great optics even in the 3-15 range. If weight is an issue, Leupold Mk4 or Mk4HD is very hard to beat. I only have the Mk4's, and have looked through the Mk4HD's.... noticeable improvements in resolution.

If you can find used... Nightforce, Steiner T6, Swarovski? Swarovski had the best fucking glass I'd ever looked through at SHOT (controlled conditions, yes, but still looking through all the top tier optics back to back....)

Refers your requirements of max 800-1000y. No big deal, broski. For me, I shoot different competitions and I don't even look at my magnification ring. I just find my target and adjust magnification until it "looks good". After I shoot on that stage I look at my magnification... I've rarely gone above 12x even out to 800+. The only time I go to full power is of I'm trying to spot my own hits on steel.

I've found if you go to 20+ mag at the top of the range of ALMOST ANY scope... a couple/few things happen:

1. The image starts to dim
2. Your eye-box becomes much more precise.
3. Every single movement of yours is magnified that much more.

My point is:

Don't be so hung up on 56mm objective, larger tube, or top-end magnification. My "old" Vtx Viper PST II 3-15x44 on my 7mm RemMag as killed a lot of 1.5-2moa steel from 300-1500y. Oh. And that scop has been on that rifle the last 1000-ish rounds... never lost zero ever.

I'm rambling, but I hope I made things as clear as mud for you 😘

I have to agree with what's been said. I just got a Mark 4HD with the PR3 reticle and it definitely punches above its weight class.
I have had many of the top tier scops, S&B, Zeiss, Steiner, Nightforce, but the only scope that I haven't traded or sold is my Raz Gen 2 I don't have enough time behind my new Mark 4HD to say I like it better than my Raz Gen 2, but it's a close race so far. IMO to get a better scope than either of them you would have to spend 2.5K plus.

Man, for $1500 you have so many choices of seriously awesome glass. 10 years ago different story. Free market is a hell of a thing.

I've been in your boat, it wasn't easy. If weight is no issue, Vortex Razor Gen2. They're great optics even in the 3-15 range. If weight is an issue, Leupold Mk4 or Mk4HD is very hard to beat. I only have the Mk4's, and have looked through the Mk4HD's.... noticeable improvements in resolution.

If you can find used... Nightforce, Steiner T6, Swarovski? Swarovski had the best fucking glass I'd ever looked through at SHOT (controlled conditions, yes, but still looking through all the top tier optics back to back....)

Refers your requirements of max 800-1000y. No big deal, broski. For me, I shoot different competitions and I don't even look at my magnification ring. I just find my target and adjust magnification until it "looks good". After I shoot on that stage I look at my magnification... I've rarely gone above 12x even out to 800+. The only time I go to full power is of I'm trying to spot my own hits on steel.

I've found if you go to 20+ mag at the top of the range of ALMOST ANY scope... a couple/few things happen:

1. The image starts to dim
2. Your eye-box becomes much more precise.
3. Every single movement of yours is magnified that much more.

My point is:

Don't be so hung up on 56mm objective, larger tube, or top-end magnification. My "old" Vtx Viper PST II 3-15x44 on my 7mm RemMag as killed a lot of 1.5-2moa steel from 300-1500y. Oh. And that scop has been on that rifle the last 1000-ish rounds... never lost zero ever.

I'm rambling, but I hope I made things as clear as mud for you 😘
Absolutely clear as mud 🤣🤣🤣. The only leupold I've ever owned is a delta point pro and it's been pretty good once i got through the slight battery issue that some of them had but there seems to be quite a few people who are really bragging on them.

The Tract Toric ELR 4-25x50 is worth a hard look in that price range. It will be less if you are LE/Mil/Vet and contact them.

Looking for advice and opinions on a scope purchase with a budget up to around 1500 bucks. I've never paid that much for a scope so ie..I've never had a "good" scope before. I'm looking for something that the glass is good enough to see mirage at distances no further than 1000 yards. The most distance I usually shoot is under 800 yards. A little more capability wouldn't hurt. Not looking for anything with more than 25x. I've drove myself nuts looking through reviews, reading, and trying to decipher what the best options are. Seems like a 34 mm tube is preferred and 56mm objectives seem to be the latest and greatest. Tracking seems to be important but with some of the fancier reticles with elevation in the reticle then Idk if it matters so much anymore. Please feel free to share some knowledge to help a fellow make an informed decision. Thanks all in advance.
Best scope for under $1,500 would be these options...

Absolutely clear as mud 🤣🤣🤣. The only leupold I've ever owned is a delta point pro and it's been pretty good once i got through the slight battery issue that some of them had but there seems to be quite a few people who are really bragging on them.
You're not missing anything, Leupold is far from the top dog in any category these days. Lots of better options out there than anything with a "L" already on it.

Mirrors my interests, currently stuck on xtr3, xrs3, and Cronus btr they’re roughly equal in price. I had an old mark 4 that I really liked and I have that old mentality that leupold is a great scope haha. Tempted to jump up to a mark5. I can start my own thread but since we have similar wants, I figured I’d help move this thread along. Thank you for the input.

Whatever you do, don't get tricked into buying an MOA scope (it's an MRAD world), I've seen a couple of newbies get duped, don't be that guy lol.

Good luck!

Not trying to argue, but what faults does the Mk4HD fix?

Not trying to argue, but what faults does the Mk4HD fix?

The biggest one is/was the Mark5HD's windage turret. It's capped (and then non-locking when you uncap it to use it), and its zero indicator line's odd, off-center placement makes it sort of a PITA to use compared to just about anything else. The newer Mark4HD has a button lock turret like the elevation turrets and a normal zero line placement, so it’s much better.
The other weird one was/is the Mark5's elevation turret design, it's wonky in that the first rev goes to 10.5 (not simply 10, like more logical designs including the Mark 4HD), so rimfire guys or people familiar with the metric system have to be more careful lol.

Both the Mark5HDs and the Mark4HDs feature some of the tiniest itty bitty tenth mil indicator lines in the scope world, so an aftermarket turret tape or magnifier is nearly mandatory unless you want to have to constantly second-guess yourself when you dial with anything less than awesome eyesight.

Last edited:
If you can find a nice used, the Delta Stryker is one of the best scopes I’ve ever used. Tics so many boxes

Check the review that Koshkin did on it.
It punches $1000 above its price point.

That Razor 2 is also a great scope

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostFace
Burris XTR 3 beats MK5 and XRS3 to my eyes. I own a XRS3 and it's every bit as good as a MK5.
Leupold MK4 doesn't compete with the mark 5, and how could it for $800 less? It does fix several of my personal issues that the mk5 had as mentioned by CK1.0.
I avoid Athlon and Arken. I would rather get a vortex at the same money and have a warrenty that I know will be there in 10 years.

Reactions: FuhQ
Have both the XTRIII and MK5 and it's not close the MK5 is better. With the XTRIII i have a hard time seeing the targets with the sun behind the targets. Also i can adjust the magnification without losing my cheek weld. As far as the elevation turrets the MK5 is much better, my favorite turrets by far. And for the folks getting all upset with turret lash the MK5 has half as much, not that i think it matters much.
Overall i am happy with both but anybody that says the XTRIII is better Overall is obviously biased. Plenty of Leupold hatters on the hide.

Leupold MK4 doesn't compete with the mark 5, and how could it for $800 less?

I'm not trying to argue because I've never looked through one, but are you talking about the old Mark 4?

The new one (2024 release Mark 4HD) is the same glass and looks just like the Mark5HD (I looked through them both side by side out to 1250 yards and can confirm this is the case, at least with the Mark 4HD 8-32x56 vs the Mark5HD 7-35x56).

It is kind of a head-scratcher though? Lots of guys are still going to probably buy the Mark5HD because that's what all the PRS cool kids run, but the Mark4HD looks the same, is arguably a better design, and is a good chunk cheaper, so it's surely going to cannibalize some Mark5HD sales.

I'm wondering if there's an updated Mark 5 coming in the not-too-distant future..? ...and if Leupold's plan is just to move a bunch of the lower price-point Mark4HDs for a while before they release a newer design..? IDK.

For the money (if one wants to buy new), having shot one, the Mark4HD is a winner if ~$1500 is one's budget (as it's basically an improved Mark5HD with a more ubiquitous 34mm tube).

The new MK4HD has the same glass as the MK5. Its just cheaper to manufacture and has a smaller erector, as well as being 34 instead of 35mm.

With that being said, MK5 glass is nothing special, with some examples being pretty bad. To compare it to a Razor 3, Tangent or ZCO is laughable from glass to turrets to FOV. Its a solid scope but its not comparable to alpha glass.

I heard a rumor about a MK5 gen 2 in development, but who knows. Would not be surprised to see an updated MK5 with better glass and turrets come out at the next shotshow.

I would buy a MK4HD WAY before I bought a MK5. Its a much better value, has better mounting options and will hold its value better long term IMO. The 6-24x52 would be the one to snag for a match/LR gun.

The new MK4HD has the same glass as the MK5. Its just cheaper to manufacture and has a smaller erector, as well as being 34 instead of 35mm.

With that being said, MK5 glass is nothing special, with some examples being pretty bad. To compare it to a Razor 3, Tangent or ZCO is laughable from glass to turrets to FOV. Its a solid scope but its not comparable to alpha glass.

I heard a rumor about a MK5 gen 2 in development, but who knows. Would not be surprised to see an updated MK5 with better glass and turrets come out at the next shotshow.

I would buy a MK4HD WAY before I bought a MK5. Its a much better value, has better mounting options and will hold its value better long term IMO. The 6-24x52 would be the one to snag for a match/LR gun.

I agree with most of this, but for the same money I'd go with the 8-32x56 over the 6-24x52, but that's just like my opinion man lol.

TBH, apparently I'm a turret-snob, and I decided I couldn't live with the Leupold's turrets, so I sold mine.

But I may regret it... because IMO the PR-3 reticle is the best reticle out there right now (for my eyes anyway).

Shooting the PR-3 helped me decide to move on from the Razor Gen3 (great glass, but I don't care for the Razor Gen3's EBR-7D reticle, feels cluttered/busy with too many little lines that dazzle/confuse my eyes). I was looking at moving to either a Tangent Theta with JTAC reticle (which is now a nope for me, looked through one, too thin for me) or a ZCO with their MPCT1x reticle, but I think the ZCO is also a nope, as it looks like it might have the same too-many-little-lines thing the Razor G3 has for me, and I don't think its glass is good enough to be worth paying near double what a Razor G3 costs.

So after playing "musical scopes" for a while, and willing to pay whatever it'd cost, I'm back to shooting a Razor Gen2 with a renewed appreciation for its relatively uncluttered, tastefully semi-thick EBR-7C reticle. 😝

I can echo what everyone else here is saying. If I had to buy a new scope with a $1500 budget, it would be a mk4. The PR1 and PR2 reticles are perfect in my opinion. While my G3 razor has better glass and FOV, my MK5's don't hold me back any. If it's going on a rifle that I have to carry any distance, I'm definitely not taking my G3. lol

The XTR3 is another good choice. It has a wide FOV similar to the G3, but the mk4/5 glass is better, and the turrets on the mk4 are better too.

Give the Trijicon tenmiles a look. far better reliability than these other brands and still a ton of great features. The 3-18 is a great hybrid hunting target scope, 1565 on optics planet rn.

What would make you go with the 6-24? Weight savings, elevation adjustment, or other features?

I am looking to buy one soon but I’m leaning toward the 8-32x but I’m trying to convince myself why the 6-24