• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Using Flitz

Re: Using Flitz

if you have a gritty feeling, you need to pull it appart and clean it thouroughly. Once that is done, inspect each part to see if its worn, bad casting (pitted-possibly from rust), loose pins etc.

I never really liked flitz I'd use lapping compound, JB bore compound etc.

Without having the item in my hands I can't say one way or another if flitz will work for you.

Do not use flitz or any other lapping compound in you gun!!! One of the best ways to trash a gun. The guns need to be disassembled, cleaned and if needed some of the individual parts can be worked on. Some parts in your guns have surfaces that you can remove a bunch of material and you won't feel a difference other parts you round an edge and the gun won't work or is not safe. If you don't know what you are doing pay a gun smith.

Skog

If you use or intend to use any of your pieces for home or self defense; please do not monkey with them.

I totally agree with skog: Pay a gunsmith!

I guess I should have clarified, I was a gunsmith for a number of years. This is the only way I'd use lapping compound...I forget not every one is mechanically inclined.

yea, don't use compound less you really know what you're doing. For example, you take too much off a pin and you create more slop than you originally had. OR polish up a bolt and rails too much and have a dangerous situation.

If you put some highly polished metal in the lathe, spin it fast, and rub Flitz on it hard..... look at the metal under the microscope... look hard, there must be some change somewhere.

Take apart a "1911/Lever Rifle/S&W Revolver" and look for any metal highly polished... look hard, there must some somewhere. If there is a polished sear or something, look at it under a microscope. Not very polished, huh?

Now calculated how many linear feet of polishing you did with the lathe. Next calculate how much polishing by hand you could do in your life time.
Get started. If you are young, by the time you are 90, maybe you can see a change under the microscope that you made to a gun by polishing it by hand with Flitz.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you put some highly polished metal in the lathe, spin it fast, and rub Flitz on it hard..... look at the metal under the microscope... look hard, there must be some change somewhere.

Take apart a "1911/Lever Rifle/S&W Revolver" and look for any metal highly polished... look hard, there must some somewhere. If there is a polished sear or something, look at it under a microscope. Not very polished, huh?

Now calculated how many linear feet of polishing you did with the lathe. Next calculate how much polishing by hand you could do in your life time.
Get started. If you are young, by the time you are 90, maybe you can see a change under the microscope that you made to a gun by polishing it by hand with Flitz. </div></div>
Priceless

I don't see why you guys keep making a pilgrimage to the Guru Clark, who is the Encyclopedia Clarktannica of gunsmithing, when you could just send him an email and he will solve your problem for you.