• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Varget load for .308? Anyone?

I have a Remington 700 Tactical which I had hopped up. The barrel has been replaced with a Shilen 24" 1/12 twist. The action was blue printed, barrel head spaced, stock was pillar bedded and a jewel trigger was installed.
Last Sunday I finally broke the barrel in per the instructions my gunsmith provided me.

I tested two different manufacturers of ammo(factory).
1. Hornady A-Max 168 gr Match.
2. Federal 168 gr Sierra Matchking BTHP.

I can tell you that the Federal shot a heck of a lot better than the Hornady. But like every gun nut I am now setting on the quest of finding the "most liked" load for my rifle.
Does anyone have a load already worked up that they would like to share?
I also noticed that <span style="font-weight: bold">ALL</span> of the Hornady brass (Match 168 gr and TAP 100 gr) are all below the minimum case trim length after being shot one time.
I will be staying with the Sierra Matchking BTHP 168 gr bullets for my loading adventures!
If anyone can point me in the right direction for a starting load for my rifle I would greatly appreciate it!

8911.jpg

8912.jpg

Re: Varget load for .308? Anyone?

Unless you're stuck on, or with, Varget, the old M852 load is supposed to be 41.5 gr. of IMR 4895 behind a 168 SMK. This is supposed to be the same as the Federal GMM. I don't have a Remmy tacticle, but it will put most of them in the same hole at 100 with my MWS.
I have shot a lot of Varget in my SAV. 12. Any careful load will shoot better than I can.

Regards and be careful...