• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Vectronix PLRF10, who's using one.

lovdasnow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2006
ok, i think i'm pretty much sold on one of these, as the swaro has been frustrating me lately.

I just wanted to hear a little more testimony about them before I start selling a few things to order one of these.

pro's and con's after spending some time using them? would love to hear a little more as it's a bigger purchase. if you have one, are you glad you got one, and would you do it again?

thanks for your help guys!

Re: Vectronix PLRF10, who's using one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovdasnow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok, i think i'm pretty much sold on one of these, as the swaro has been frustrating me lately.

I just wanted to hear a little more testimony about them before I start selling a few things to order one of these.

pro's and con's after spending some time using them? would love to hear a little more as it's a bigger purchase. if you have one, are you glad you got one, and would you do it again?

thanks for your help guys! </div></div>

Small population......Uber cool stuff........

that's what i've found, doesn't seem to be too many out there, but they do sound amazing.
i've only talked to one guy that has one, and would like to hear a little more from others. he loves his, so +1 there i guess.

ya, they are spendy for sure. when you played with them did they impress you? it sounds like they blow the doors off the swaro, is that what you experienced?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very impressive...

Instant response to distances most people only dream of shooting...

John </div></div>

Bingo.....

They have the ability to range stuff that is.......out there.

perfect. that's what i want to hear. i have not heard one bad thing about them yet. hard to believe, but good to hear.

I would be amazed if you ever hear a bad thing about them... other than they are a tad bulky (quibbling, given the capabilities) ...... and frickin' expensive.

I had gotten frustrated with the Leica/Swaro stuff, finding that I could <span style="text-decoration: underline">count</span> on them in crappy weather, on small targets out to about 700-800 yds... I told that to the dude I bought mine from.... his response: "Hell... you'll probably HEAR this thing hit the target at those ranges..." He wasn't kiddin'
grin.gif

I've gotten plenty of repeatable readings 2,900 yds & change, on unsteady rests in rainy, hazy, Northwet conditions.... and it doesn't take 15 attempts... it's release the button... believe what you see... It's the real deal.... and it's "just" the PLRF10.
whistle.gif

If a bad ass LRF is worth that kinda' change to ya'... you will not be disappointed.

I have the PLRF15C. There are some excellent threads elsewhere already written by Davide and others. The Vectronix kit works a dream with the FFS/NOMAD/KESTREL combination.

In murky drizzle, I still get mine to range out beyond 3,800yds.

The additional features that are built in are equally useful.

Get either a 10 or 15 and you will never need anything else.

I haven't been able to find anyone that owns a plrf10 to trade me straight up for my bushnell fusion arc 1600's... if that tells you anything.

thanks again for all the input. i'll start listing stuff for sale today, so i can get this thing.
i can't believe how much everyone loves these things!

no, you can get it for $3700 from an importer in VA. I talked to them yesterday. it does take about 5 weeks from time of purchase till you receive it because they only build them once they have been paid for. they build them in Switzerland.

You are going to love it. I had the chance to try out a pair of these at a match in Oklahoma. They are in a class of their own. I watched a guy range a shed at 3K on a foggy morning when Leica's and Swarovski's were having trouble getting to 1K. I would love to own a pair, but I don't have the rifle to take advantage of that distance, so I'll stick with my Leica for now.

They are simply the best..the PLRF15C I've been demoing will range out to over 4000 yards..I take two steps and its two yards closer..that's accurate and reliable.

ok, so you guys with the plrf10, or 15. is there any reason why you would need a C model?

i think i'm just going to get the 10, not the c, but your thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey big spender!

I wonder if they will temporarily blind a deer at 4km.... </div></div>

i know! it's ridiculous what these cost. but, i figure i can sell other stuff i don't use enough to fund one. and what good are some of these huge rifles if you can't get a range on what you're trying to hit.

as far as blinding things? i'll keep you posted
wink.gif

If you wanna shoot stuff a long way away, you have to spend the money I guess.

That why I bought a 300 winmag over a 338 Lapua/edge. 'slightly' cheaper, and the swaro is enough.

Keep us posted
smile.gif

Excellent range finder with some bells and whistles in the menu that you don't hear about, compact. I don't know what would be better out to 2.5km. Current price is $3700 plus a little shipping, and I would buy one again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you wanna shoot stuff a long way away, you have to spend the money I guess.

That why I bought a 300 winmag over a 338 Lapua/edge. 'slightly' cheaper, and the swaro is enough.</div></div>

You're just not pushing your WM hard enough.
wink.gif
I can outshoot the Swaro with mine. Not that it makes me that happy. I'd be far happier with the cost of the Swaro over the PLRF10.
cry.gif

John

True. But if you see on my other thread, my swaro maxes out at 1990 very often, and i'm primarily a hunter, not a rock shooter, so it fits my bill perfectly.

However, if I had the cash, a vector iv would replace my zen rays, no question
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">True. But if you see on my other thread, my swaro maxes out at 1990 very often, and i'm primarily a hunter, not a rock shooter, so it fits my bill perfectly.

However, if I had the cash, a vector iv would replace my zen rays, no question
smile.gif
</div></div>

Didn't see that thread, and admittedly I don't shoot over 2000 yds. every day, but when I do, it does present its own unique challenge if the group of guys does not include someone with the PLRF. I'm building a 30" WM for my son while he's in Iraq. 2500 yds is the goal for that rifle. I'll have to explain to him that a required piece of kit is a PLRF.
grin.gif

John

Get the Vector IV. If you're going to spend that kind of money, no sooner than you'll get the 10 you'll decide you really wanted the IV. save yourself an expensive lesson and get the Vector IV. Did I mention the Vector IV? Because that's the only one to get if you choose to be in that league.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the Vector IV. If you're going to spend that kind of money, no sooner than you'll get the 10 you'll decide you really wanted the IV. save yourself an expensive lesson and get the Vector IV. Did I mention the Vector IV? Because that's the only one to get if you choose to be in that league. </div></div>
Vector Iv is like 4 times the price.... Not doable for everyone.

Savage, in the words of Heidi Klum: "Either you're IN; or you're OUT." The Vector IV takes the place of binos, compass, and range finder. And it talks to your NOMAD. If you have the money, and, granted, that's a big 'if', it makes better sense to spend 12K on what you need than spend 4K on an item that will only replace your $600 Leica.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage, in the words of Heidi Klum: "Either you're IN; or you're OUT." The Vector IV takes the place of binos, compass, and range finder. And it talks to your NOMAD. If you have the money, and, granted, that's a big 'if', it makes better sense to spend 12K on what you need than spend 4K on an item that will only replace your $600 Leica. </div></div>
Question for ya Graham, how does it only replace a $600 leica, It ranges past 2500 meters and last time I checked the PLRF can talk to your nomad too, so you got me beat on the binos, so what? Get a nice pair of binos for 1k and be done. thats a total of $4.5-5 k, and BTW the IV is not 12k, its more like 14k, and not everyone can afford to own one, many can and still chose to save the 10 grand and put it toward something else.

They gave one away at the USASOC Sniper Comp in December, people were floored when they saw it on the prize table. Truly a great piece of equipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you have the money, and, granted, that's a big 'if', it makes better sense to spend 12K on what you need than spend 4K on an item that will only replace your $600 Leica. </div></div>
Then why spend $12k to replace your $600 Leica?
grin.gif
For hunting, I agree that Geovids/Vectors are a better choice than separate binos and LRF, but cost becomes the deciding factor at some point. You can buy Geovids for much less than $12k, and they will be adequate for just about any hunter.

The clever money will be on the PLRF. That way you still have money left for decent binos,..the Vector 4 is a bulky unit and frankly way more than any shooter needs. The 15c has replaced the Vector 4 in military usage for sniping.

...Did I say the Vector IV? I meant the Vector IV.
grin.gif

Did I say the $600 Leica? I meant the $6,000 Hensolt Spotter.
laugh.gif

You guys kill me with talk of needs:

Do I need a motorcyle that spins the rear coming out of 70mph corners if I don't short-shift into third? Nope.

Do I need $700 alpine boots for technical ice? Nope.

Does one need to spend 12-large on a rangefinder? Not a chance.

It's not about need. But once you've used one you'll never go back.
cool.gif

If you have a need to range longer than the swaro , then you have no choice but to step up to the Vecttonix PLRF-10 or better .

BUT , soon , there will be another option for LR , and its comes from a Major player in this realm , and should be way cheaper than the current PLRF-10 option .

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you have a need to range longer than the swaro , then you have no choice but to step up to the Vecttonix PLRF-10 or better .

BUT , soon , there will be another option for LR , and its comes from a Major player in this realm , and should be way cheaper than the current PLRF-10 option .

Later Chris </div></div>

OK. Me and my thin wallet are listening.
wink.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Later Chris </div></div>

OK. Me and my thin wallet are listening.
wink.gif

John </div></div>
So am I, I would love it.
Elmerdeer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Later Chris</div></div>

I heard at Shot there will be a PLRF 05 coming out under $2k from Vectronix. With wider spread availability

PLRF 05,...interesting if it has the additional features that the 10 and 15 have, otherwise it will be an expenisve variant of the Leica/Swaro offerings?

Might just be "show" talk? If it is scheduled for production it will be at the IWA in March.

Vectronix have as yet to show any interst in the sport or retail shooter market, so this would be a big step for them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PLRF 05,...interesting if it has the additional features that the 10 and 15 have, otherwise it will be an expenisve variant of the Leica/Swaro offerings? Might just be "show" talk? If it is scheduled for production it will be at the IWA in March. Vectronix have as yet to show any interst in the sport or retail shooter market, so this would be a big step for them? </div></div>
You might have put your finger on the answer: The PLRF5 might be a stripped version of the PLRF10, without possibility of a digital compass option, to reduce production cost. Of course Vectronix will have to down tweak the range to, say, 2km and install it in a poly-something case. Just my guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PLRF 05,...interesting if it has the additional features that the 10 and 15 have, otherwise it will be an expenisve variant of the Leica/Swaro offerings? Might just be "show" talk? If it is scheduled for production it will be at the IWA in March. Vectronix have as yet to show any interst in the sport or retail shooter market, so this would be a big step for them? </div></div>
You might have put your finger on the answer: The PLRF5 might be a stripped version of the PLRF10, without possibility of a digital compass option, to reduce production cost. Of course Vectronix will have to down tweak the range to, say, 2km and install it in a poly-something case. Just my guess.</div></div>

I think they said the compass module was going to be available, I didn't get the details, but understood them to want to approach the under $2k market more...

It was a brief conversation, and I have an email into them, but they came to SH, so I would say they are looking to step out a bit.