• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56

A2AA5334-0C95-4BEC-95F1-F5439A986469.jpeg

Today is the day. It’s occurring to me i need rings lol

So it was pretty difficult with no rings to compare the others. I should have mounted my AMG. I spent the last hour or so just going back and forth between the ZP5 and Gen III. I can’t really give an articulate write up at this point like i used to enjoy because it’s just an hour with slight overcast.

I will say though, initial impression is the Gen III absolutely belongs in the discussion for alpha level glass. There were very little differences between the ZP5 and the Gen III at 15x looking at my 800yd IPSC. I will say edge to edge clarity went to the ZP5 and there was no debate, but I’m just not sure if a scenario where the edge of sight picture is going to make or break you for the intended purpose.

The standout to me is the contrast. I’m sure most here remember the “wow” they got when moving from the ole NXS to the ATACR. The “pop” everyone refers to. That kind of shocked me. Both optics have excellent contrast but the Gen III really stood out here compared to my ZP5 which is in and of itself shocking.

The resolution and depth of field I honestly couldn’t discern a difference in. I preferred the color saturation of the Gen III also to the Minox. Both are very good here the ZP5 just felt a bit muted comparably speaking. I couldn't discern any CA out of either optics, that might be more suited for a bright sunny day than today.

Turrets are still underwhelming. Every turret out there except the LHT I preferred. Gen II, AMG, NXS, and ZP5. I handled a 7-35 ATACR the other day at DST and also much preferred that turret to my Gen III. That's easily my biggest gripe.

All in all though it’s downright impressive. And as of now unequivocally the best scope in its class right now IMHO. If I was in the 3K market and weight wasn't a concern, there isn't another optic that compares outside of the ZP5. Then you could easily argue Vortex being home grown offers better support across the board.

So it was pretty difficult with no rings to compare the others. I should have mounted my AMG. I spent the last hour or so just going back and forth between the ZP5 and Gen III. I can’t really give an articulate write up at this point like i used to enjoy because it’s just an hour with slight overcast.

I will say though, initial impression is the Gen III absolutely belongs in the discussion for alpha level glass. There were very little differences between the ZP5 and the Gen III at 15x looking at my 800yd IPSC. I will say edge to edge clarity went to the ZP5 and there was no debate, but I’m just not sure if a scenario where the edge of sight picture is going to make or break you for the intended purpose.

The standout to me is the contrast. I’m sure most here remember the “wow” they got when moving from the ole NXS to the ATACR. The “pop” everyone refers to. That kind of shocked me. Both optics have excellent contrast but the Gen III really stood out here compared to my ZP5 which is in and of itself shocking.

The resolution and depth of field I honestly couldn’t discern a difference in. I preferred the color saturation of the Gen III also to the Minox. Both are very good here the ZP5 just felt a bit muted comparably speaking. I couldn't discern any CA out of either optics, that might be more suited for a bright sunny day than today.

Turrets are still underwhelming. Every turret out there except the LHT I preferred. Gen II, AMG, NXS, and ZP5. I handled a 7-35 ATACR the other day at DST and also much preferred that turret to my Gen III. That's easily my biggest gripe.

All in all though it’s downright impressive. And as of now unequivocally the best scope in its class right now IMHO. If I was in the 3K market and weight wasn't a concern, there isn't another optic that compares outside of the ZP5. Then you could easily argue Vortex being home grown offers better support across the board.
Thanks for the nice write up. Decisions, decisions

Reactions: 5RWill
i actually prefer the turrets on the gen 3 versus the gen 2

glass wise i notice a big big difference between the two as far as picking up detail

i wish 'current elevation/wind' white line extended like it does on the gen 2. it was the first thing i noticed when i unlocked the turret...i went hmmm that seems like a big gap i dont remember that on the gen2

Just got back from shooting in a local match. Absolutely love the scope. I put a small zip tie around the opening of the turret when unlocked to remove the ability to lock myself out. I really wish I could send the scope into Vortex to remove the locking mechanism. Previously, all of my matches were shot between 10-15x... I basically sat at 20x all day.

Just got back from shooting in a local match. Absolutely love the scope. I put a small zip tie around the opening of the turret when unlocked to remove the ability to lock myself out. I really wish I could send the scope into Vortex to remove the locking mechanism. Previously, all of my matches were shot between 10-15x... I basically sat at 20x all day.
Could you tell us what scope you were using before if you don't mind?

So I spent about four hours on the thousand yard Range 4 Quantico with one of my new Gen 3 Razors. I’m fortunate because I’ve been able to shoot Range 4 almost every weekend since 2004.

The temp was in the mid to upper fifties today, perfectly overcast with a 3-5mph wind running from the left to right that’s kinda par for the course on that part of the range complex.

I also had the chance to compare my new ATACR to the Gen3, along with about a half dozen of my buddies that make up the core group of shooters on the range.

Conditions were good enough to use both scopes at full power (35X and 36X) for the first two hours of the day starting at 0800.

I had first round cold bore hits on my 25x15” IPSA with both scopes and a couple head shots (.5 MOA) with the ATACR. With the Gen 3 Razor my second shot was a hit on a 11x8.5” LRSU steel milk jug target (1MOA).

The general consensus among my peers
(I can’t believe I just wrote this sentence)
was that the NF slightly edged out the Gen 3 in brightness, but not by very much. Everyone agreed they were both excellent optics and several regular Gen 2 guys said they seriously consider the Gen 3. Everyone also agreed that the Gen 3 was a very good scope for the price.

The mirage began to build after 1000 and I had to dial back both scopes to about 28X. Both scopes did much better that either of my previous Gen 2s that were on each of these rifles.

Anyhow, that’s my report, for what it’s worth. Maybe @Fixr will chime in.

A1E15FE6-A8FD-4ACD-B94A-3726BE77A27C.jpeg

9A797BD9-5BB6-4B20-9F1E-B224B55E4053.jpeg

2280663A-5077-4342-9A84-B0BBD0231EF8.jpeg

Last edited:
was that the NF slightly edged out the Gen 3 in brightness, but not by very much. Everyone agreed they were both excellent optics and several regular Gen 2 guys said they seriously consider the Gen 3. Everyone also agreed that the Gen 3 was a very good scope for the price.
What about resolution? Edge to edge clarity? DOF? That's the one optic I don't have and haven't had time behind is the 7-35 ATACR. Admittedly I have a hard time believing NF has anything matching my ZP5 so seeing the Gen III match it makes me expect the Gen III to be a step above the ATACR. Then again as I said never really seen the 7-35 and as I understand it, it's considerably better than the 5-25.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don’t have a clue what edge clarity, chromatic aberration, depth of field or any of that other technical jazz means.

I don’t know what a ZP5 is, so I can’t help you there either.

I’m just a dude that spends a lot of time shooting at 1K on steel if I’m too lazy to set up a camera or on F class or IBA paper targets if I’m not too lazy. I only know what looks good to me.

I still maintain the price difference between the Gen 3 and the ATACR isn’t worth the additional cost of the ATACR.

To be honest, I don’t have a clue what edge clarity, chromatic aberration, depth of field or any of that other technical jazz means.

I don’t know what a ZP5 is, so I can’t help you there either.

I’m just a dude that spends a lot of time shooting at 1K on steel if I’m too lazy to set up a camera or on F class or IBA paper targets if I’m not too lazy. I only know what looks good to me.

I still maintain the price difference between the Gen 3 and the ATACR isn’t worth the additional cost of the ATACR.
No worries man, I appreciate the comparison.

Anyone having issues with the tenebrex cover for the ocular end?
I snagged a Gen 2 and a Gen 3 a couple weeks ago and decided to replace the Defender caps that came with the Gen 2.

Ordered two pair and the objective end fit like butter, but the ocular end on the Get III is just slightly different and the Tenebrex cap doesn't fit for shit.
May just end up getting an AADLAND or MK Engineering for the ocular.

Anyone having issues with the tenebrex cover for the ocular end?
I snagged a Gen 2 and a Gen 3 a couple weeks ago and decided to replace the Defender caps that came with the Gen 2.

Ordered two pair and the objective end fit like butter, but the ocular end on the Get III is just slightly different and the Tenebrex cap doesn't fit for shit.
May just end up getting an AADLAND or MK Engineering for the ocular.
Keep me posted I’ve wanted to go tenebraex instead of AADLAND.

After the piss poor luck I’ve had I don’t fall into Vortex lifetime warranty shit anymore I’ll spend more money on a NF Or Steiner and have better quality and not have to use warranty at all 😂 give it a year these gen3s will be getting sent back in the semi loads for warrant work just like all the gen2s. Everyone I know that has bought multiple Vortex items has sent one or more back to be fixed. Can’t say the same for better glass like NF ZCO TT Steiner Minox.

Then why did NF send me a brand new broken ATACR straight from the factory?

I’ve owned eight Gen 2 razors and four 7-35x ATACRs. Guess which brand I had to send back the most for warranty repairs. NF.

Now you know a person that didn’t send back all their vortex scope.

Please response in a way that molds my response to match your bias.

After the piss poor luck I’ve had I don’t fall into Vortex lifetime warranty shit anymore I’ll spend more money on a NF Or Steiner and have better quality and not have to use warranty at all 😂 give it a year these gen3s will be getting sent back in the semi loads for warrant work just like all the gen2s. Everyone I know that has bought multiple Vortex items has sent one or more back to be fixed. Can’t say the same for better glass like NF ZCO TT Steiner Minox.
The fact that you mention Steiner and Minox as staples of reliability says entirely too much.

Wasn’t there two threads about how awesome NF and S&B customer service was. How would they know if they never break? Another thread where ZCO had two known scopes with cracking lenses under recoil as well.

It’s like people are so narrowly focus on the brand name. They all brake. Some more than others.

If the most used scope in the PRS/NRL for multiple years, the Gen2 Razor, was crapping out so much then there would be threads constantly trashing the gen2 Razor. Except that isn’t happening.

Buy a cheap model and get cheap result. Buy a more premium model and get more reliable results.

I have spent a decent amount of time behind the Gen III comparing to My ZCOs, Tangent, Gen II Razor, and my Mark5HDs. I also borrowed a 7-35 for a bit. I have had the optics out in all conditions from rain, sleet, mirage, direct sun, dusk/dawn.

Here are my observations pertaining to the Gen III

-Reticle is a nice upgrade from the previous options in the Razor line
-Glass quality is a big upgrade over the Gen II (it should be as its been 7 years)
-Parallax is better than the Gen II but not in the league of ZCO or Tangent, keeping in mind I'm looking at distances when the optical system is parallax free, not what some think as parallax free because the image you are viewing is clear. From my sample I was free of parallax from 300-770 yards, at that point you had to make adjustments to get out further.
- Turrets, although I don't care for either the Gen II or Gen III turrets, the Gen II turrets from my samples are better. The clicks are far more tactile with the Gen II and the elevation locking detent is noticeable in the Gen II where as the Gen III is non existent and easily settles when on the turret dialing.
- magnification, the Gen III dims out significantly around 30X and is very noticeable above 30x.

Quick summary, If 3K or slightly lower is your max budget the Gen III is a great option, if you can afford the next step up I would absolutely spring for a ZCO or a Tangent.

The best comparison I can make is the Gen III is equal to a NF 7-35 in glass quality with better features (if you like them) and better parallax.

I'm not a glass guru, but I send a shit ton of rounds down range every year in all conditions, and have ran all the above optics in matches or training.

If you are curious how I would stack the above mentioned optics it would be:

Tangent/ZCO (I actually prefer my ZCOs)
GEN III
NF 7-35
Gen II Razor
Mark 5HD

Last edited:
What about resolution? Edge to edge clarity? DOF? That's the one optic I don't have and haven't had time behind is the 7-35 ATACR. Admittedly I have a hard time believing NF has anything matching my ZP5 so seeing the Gen III match it makes me expect the Gen III to be a step above the ATACR. Then again as I said never really seen the 7-35 and as I understand it, it's considerably better than the 5-25.
The 7-35 is considerably better than the 5-25 and it should be based on the price difference. That being said I'd never own another 7-35. There are too many better options out there for the money now.

Kind of like NF sending me a 7-35 ATACR with a broken clutch and then costing me $300 round trip to fix their crap? Or ZCO sending me a 527 with visible dust in the tube? At least ZCO took care of me.

GTFO here with your weak troll job, son

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'm glad you said that so I wouldn't have to.

I agree with most of your observations and for the money, I would take the Gen lll over the ATACR. The one thing I didn't like was the elevation turret, the clicks feel "different" and no detent for the lock ring was weird. I don't shoot PRS but I could see the lock ring being an issue in a timed or high stress shooting scenario.

As far as reliability goes, I guess that I'm just lucky, I own 6 Vortex and 2 NF NXS scopes and have never sent one in for warranty work.

I did send in an older Vortex 20-60x85 Razor HD spotter that nearly broken in half when it fell out of my pack and onto a hard surface. A week later I received a new 27-60x85 Razor HD spotter at no cost.

Am just waiting to go to the range and shoot with it and be blown away by the glass because the turrets on mine are pretty disappointing so far.
Depends on what you're coming from. My move was lateral. There isn't much out there outside of TT and ZCO that really matches the ZP5 and especially for the money (until now). I was shocked. Just because I wasn't expecting Vortex to have jumped that far. I had indications, ILya and Bill have both been pleasantly surprised which always a good sign. I think when Bill gets his hide write up and ILya finishes his review a lot of people will be shocked at the results.

Back on point though if you're already in that space you're not going to be shocked. If you're anywhere lower than that I think you'll be very happy. I do agree on the elevation turret though. Not a fan of mine.

One of my turrets is really good, with an audible and tactile detent on the locking mechanisms. The clicks are also audible and tactile. NotnTT or ZCO great but they're very nice. My other one, not so much. It's not terrible but definitely not on par with my first G3

For the record, I like the turrets to be a little stiffer and more difficult to turn. I don't want them to be like Mk5 turrets where it's easy to dial past your mark but i dont want mush. Both of my G3 are in the that area for me. One is just noticeably nicer than the other. We'll see if the one improves with use.

So I spent about four hours on the thousand yard Range 4 Quantico with one of my new Gen 3 Razors. I’m fortunate because I’ve been able to shoot Range 4 almost every weekend since 2004.

The temp was in the mid to upper fifties today, perfectly overcast with a 3-5mph wind running from the left to right that’s kinda par for the course on that part of the range complex.

I also had the chance to compare my new ATACR to the Gen3, along with about a half dozen of my buddies that make up the core group of shooters on the range.

Conditions were good enough to use both scopes at full power (35X and 36X) for the first two hours of the day starting at 0800.

I had first round cold bore hits on my 25x15” IPSA with both scopes and a couple head shots (.5 MOA) with the ATACR. With the Gen 3 Razor my second shot was a hit on a 11x8.5” LRSU steel milk jug target (1MOA).

The general consensus among my peers
(I can’t believe I just wrote this sentence)

The mirage began to build after 1000 and I had to dial back both scopes to about 28X. Both scopes did much better that either of my previous Gen 2s that were on each of these rifles.

Anyhow, that’s my report, for what it’s worth. Maybe @Fixr will chime in.

View attachment 7806623

View attachment 7806622
Thanks for the real world report, especially the comparison to ATACR, I am currently torn between the 2.

Depends on what you're coming from. My move was lateral. There isn't much out there outside of TT and ZCO that really matches the ZP5 and especially for the money (until now). I was shocked. Just because I wasn't expecting Vortex to have jumped that far. I had indications, ILya and Bill have both been pleasantly surprised which always a good sign. I think when Bill gets his hide write up and ILya finishes his review a lot of people will be shocked at the results.

Back on point though if you're already in that space you're not going to be shocked. If you're anywhere lower than that I think you'll be very happy. I do agree on the elevation turret though. Not a fan of mine.
I own ZCO but this Gen 3 is replacing a MK5 and that’s what am going to be comparing it to.

I own ZCO but this Gen 3 is replacing a MK5 and that’s what am going to be comparing it to.
Yeah I think in that realm even at 3k if I'm being honest there is nothing that comes close to the Gen III with the exception of the ZP5 but it's even $3200?

If I can ever get out of debt and school. I'll be snagging a ZCO 527. I loved the one I spent a day with at Gunline but at the time just couldn't squeeze it. The amount of money that has fallen through moving from optic to optic in the last 4 years is becoming stupid for someone who's a student with no income lol

Reactions: Stoweit
Yeah I think in that realm even at 3k if I'm being honest there is nothing that comes close to the Gen III with the exception of the ZP5 but it's even $3200?

If I can ever get out of debt and school. I'll be snagging a ZCO 527. I loved the one I spent a day with at Gunline but at the time just couldn't squeeze it. The amount of money that has fallen through moving from optic to optic in the last 4 years is becoming stupid for someone who's a student with no income lol

The relief when my career caught up with my optics chasing was great. Well, my career could be better and optics aren’t getting any cheaper and neither is anything else…so maybe my career never did catch up. 😂

I would agree with this as well, I did not compare a ZP5 side by side but have messed with one and it’s very close from what I remember. The Kahles is another that is also close and in the same price range.

My only gripe is the wide sample variation in the turrets, at 3k that part of the QC needs to be tightened up. However, I never did buy mine with the intention of keeping it, but if the turrets were crisp, defined, and the lock had a firm detent from lock/unlock I might have kept it for a back up, but it wasn’t so I’m anxiously awaiting the 8-40 ZCO to get here.

The relief when my career caught up with my optics chasing was great. Well, my career could be better and optics aren’t getting any cheaper and neither is anything else…so maybe my career never did catch up. 😂
I'll be for once in 5 years not in the negative as a resident but considering big brother is about to come knocking for that loan I'm not sure it will matter lol. I can stare at my Gen III razor though :ROFLMAO:

I would agree with this as well, I did not compare a ZP5 side by side but have messed with one and it’s very close from what I remember. The Kahles is another that is also close and in the same price range.

My only gripe is the wide sample variation in the turrets, at 3k that part of the QC needs to be tightened up. However, I never did buy mine with the intention of keeping it, but if the turrets were crisp, defined, and the lock had a firm detent from lock/unlock I might have kept it for a back up, but it wasn’t so I’m anxiously awaiting the 8-40 ZCO to get here.

Yeah that is something that should've been ironed out before launch to be honest. One of the major announcements for this scope has been the turret upgrade and while the zero stop is wonderful, the clicks are meh on some samples, the turret wont stay locked on some samples, etc. I think that will be the only foreseeable complaint about the Gen III as of right now.

Last edited:

I agree zco is very hard to beat. I'm currently putting together a 7lrm/338 prc switch barrel on a bat vampire. I'll prob go zco 420 as the universal hunting optic on this gun. Between this rifle, my 65 saum and 22 creed, I could really want for nothing.

I mean even at msrp at this point I’d say it’s hard to beat. It’s competing in spaces well above its price range. I guess what I’m saying is for comparable or better performance you can either spend $200 more for Minox or $800-2000 more for NF, S&B, ZCO, and TT