vz 24 scopes and options

tacotim

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 7, 2019
Churchville, Maryland
Hi all. Well, I usually walk right by the mausers for the more modern things. But somehow I just couldn't pass them anymore and picked up a vz 24 mauser at the LGS. After checking the numbers, it appears to be a later Romanian contract rifle. Its not sporterized and has a straight bolt handle. I am thinking it would be fun to add a scope and shoot it some, maybe carry it around for deer season. It would be cool have an original-looking scope setup but at the same time don't want to over spend on it. Any suggestions for a scope and mount?

Accumounts.com has all you need except glass. I put an old weaver k4 on mine. Ihad two zielvier repros that were junk. My rifle is a late war Yugo K98, porbably shot at germans, not by them. I went with the long side rail mount. You will need to get the bolt bent to fit whatever scope you go with.
good luck, have fun.

Thanks. Sorry to hear the zielvier repros were junk. I was looking at some of those. Originally I intended to research the common sniper setups of the era and try to put together something inspired by that. For example which scopes the Romanians or Czechs were using since that is consistent with my vz24. But I am starting to think that is a native idea and one would have to be an expert. Or at least buy some books :)

I agree Accumounts is the place for reproduction mounts. Also think a Weaver K4 is the best bet for a somewhat look-alike scope. Can also confirm reproduction optics are mostly junk.

You'll have to lengthen and bend down the bolt handle, too. Probably relieve the stock for the new bend-down while you're at it.

As for what the Romanians or Czechs were using for optics at that period in time... Probably not going to find much information, and have an even harder time tracking down original hardware/optics if such a thing even exists.

I agree Accumounts is the place for reproduction mounts. Also think a Weaver K4 is the best bet for a somewhat look-alike scope. Can also confirm reproduction optics are mostly junk.

You'll have to lengthen and bend down the bolt handle, too. Probably relieve the stock for the new bend-down while you're at it.

As for what the Romanians or Czechs were using for optics at that period in time... Probably not going to find much information, and have an even harder time tracking down original hardware/optics if such a thing even exists.
Are ZF39’s that hard to find?

Zf39's are not incredibly difficult to find, but the originals are expensive. I am not aware, though I don't profess to be an expert on the subject, of any "official" ZF39 use on VZ24's, though. That's what my comment about original equipment was about. A cursory Google search of "VZ24 sniper" shows something that is altogether different from the German sniper optics/mounts that are more commonly seen on K98k's. Seems more similar to a Russian PEM scope (also rare and expensive), but not exactly.

I'd say unless you want to dump a couple grand into it, a Weaver K4 looks pretty good.

Great pictures in that link. My understanding from other boards is that the IOR is a pretty rare bird. I will dig around with the ebay sellers a bit. And try to sort out the mount size and tube sizes. I'd guess 30mm for mount shown in the link.

I did a search on eBay for "k98 scope" and found maybe 2 or 3 dozen real and repo scopes from $400 to $4000....so lots to chose from. Trick is find a gunsmith who can carefully install some of those old scopes in a correct and secure manner. (A proper claw mount install is likely pricey) Good luck if you try to find a (what is probably a very rare) Romanian version of a WWII scope, as I have not seen that scope for sale, but I haven't been looking for one either. Tube is likely 26mm on that scope and all the vintage German scopes , which I think has been the European standard diameter for probably 100 years (going back to WWI).

Well the point that I'm at right now is that the Romanian setup doesn't seem to look like a German k98. But yeah I do agree this could be going somewhere impossible or expensive. Maybe after running everything down I"ll just be happy to have a scope on it. In the pic in the link, the IOR has 28 objective so was guessing 30 on the mounts.

Heres a great looking Romanian vz24 sniper with the same IOR and mount. about 3 posts down the page