• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Watch Movements. . . snobbery?

Re: Watch Movements. . . snobbery?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The difference is that the USO or the Hensoldt offer at least an order of magnitude superior performance over a BSA hunting scope. They will last longer, track better, provide superior clarity, and withstand far greater abuse. They also provide a greater degree of prestige, but that comes as an ancillary side effect of their fundamental quality.

In comparison, a $100 wristwatch is going to effectively provide exactly the same performance as a $10,000 mechanical watch. The extra money, to the best of my knowledge, isn't going to offer any additional tangible benefit to its wearer.

If someone suddenly invented a new form of sighting technology that provided the precision, durability, and effectiveness of a Schmidt & Bender, but cost $25 at Wal-Mart, I have no doubt that plenty of people would still be buying the S&B - but it would no longer be for the sake of performance downrange, but rather the performance upon the firing line. </div></div>

Point taken -- a tool, no matter the intended use, has a limited range where the cost/value ratio is even. Some folks work just fine with China tools, others are harder on tools and prefer a higher quality. On that point, a person looking to spend $5k on a watch could potentially purchase 2500 wal-mart watches costing $2 each, but there is an inferred value when a person is looking to spend a significant amount of money on a watch. I've known several folks who passed on both tools and watches with sentimental value -- the initial cost was significant, but the payoff was something of value to pass on. Nobody I know is planning on passing on a collection of Harbor Freight tools and a Timex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">XTR -

is your 10" diff. from living in O.R. TN??? (residual decay from the Manh. Proj)

Only kidding.

</div></div>

that's a different 10"
laugh.gif

Like others have said, it is a matter of preference. A quartz watch will tell better time, but a nice watch just makes me feel better when I put it on. I don't wear rings or necklaces, but I will wear a nice watch. I look at them as functional pieces of mechanical art. In addition to that, they can be great converstaion starters. I get a lot more compliments and questions about my Bell & Ross Phantom than other watches I've worn. A quartz watch definatley win out in the function to price ration, but will never beat a mechanical watch in style points. As an example, you may have the great shooting, out-of-the-box bolt gun, but an Accuracy International topped with a Schmidt & Bender PM is just badass. I'm just glad that wearing a watch doesn't require any skill.

I guess you could make the same argument for USO scopes vs. Bushnell. They both help you put rounds downrange, but those that know, appreciate the difference. those that don't.....