• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What accuracy to expect from a standard 14.5" barrel AR?

highlighter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2012
I have a LMT ar15 with the standard(mil-spec) 14.5" barrel and I want to find out level of accuracy to expect out of this gun. It has LMT's two stage trigger and I have mounted a scope to it. I am planning to but a few boxes of Federal GM in 69 and 77 grain to see which it likes best at 200 yards. Will the 14.5" barrel prove to be just too short?

Am I wasting time and money? Should I just accept that this is a 2-3moa rifle and start looking to buy a more accurate AR?

No way your 14.5 is too short for good accuracy within reason, especially when you feed it good ammo like you mentioned. I have both the DI LMT 5.56 and piston 5.56 in 14.5 and they are both quite accurate with good ammo. I don't shoot a lot of paper but when I do or another experienced gas gun shooter bags the front and rear, they are 1-1.5 inch carbines at 100. This is with fgmm 69/77 or SWA 77.

LMT barrels are very accurate, I believe they are still made by rock creek. Barrel length won't have much to do with accuracy, if anything the short stiffer barrel will be more accurate but probably not measurable. My 16" LMT defender is a sub MOA gun and the 16" MRP I had held the same with just regular old PMC XTAC 62gr. I've never shot any match ammo through either but if they shoot sub MOA with PMC I would think it would do better with better ammo.

Shooting it is the only way to find out. In my experience most CHF barrels shoot about 1.5-2moa, with some a little better then others. 14.5" should get you out to 500yds without too much trouble, beyond that it's not much fun if there is any wind. Shoot it, if you don't like the results buy a 16-18" Stainless barrel from Compass Lake, White Oak, Noveske or Gap and have fun.

Good luck,