• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing what are these marks in my bore?

Re: what are these marks in my bore?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have found that due to my Texas and Louisiana roots, people expect that type of language in all facets of my communication. I felt obligated to use those parallels especially after posting about RPM, PSI and other technical jargon.
If anyone fails to follow the intent of the post, I can futher elaborate using a different context, possibly from Alabama or North Carolina.
</div></div>

You're fluent in 'Bamanese too Terry??? You are truly a renaissance man....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: new_guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the response I got this morning from the company that did the work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That is normal with threading, and won't hamper your accuracy at all.

Because with suppressor use, you have to use a live center - to cut the threads.
This is a tapered plug that goes in the muzzle end of the barrel, the barrel is then turned in a lathe.

<span style="color: #FF0000">That is the only way to cut threads concentric with the bore.</span>

So when he's done he hits it with some scotch-brite, to touch up any tool marks.

This makes sure you have a clean crown, with no burrs or deformities.

Your Rifle should shoot just as/or better than before you sent it to us.

He uses an 11 degree target crown, and it works.
</div></div> </div></div>

wow!
sick.gif

Hey William, take a close look at the bore when it gets to your place. I will bet you the 2nd Asian girl that the damage was not from Scotch Brite.

They may have used it to clean up any machine marks on the face of the muzzle but the damage inside the bore has a very well defined border. Scotch Brite would not and could not create such a clean termination point.

Even if I'm wrong, no big deal. . . I'm sooooo excited about just one Asian girl that I might puddle.

JRose,
Got the 6 cassettes that came with the course on Bamanese. Only on the 3rd tape so far though. I just thought Louisiana's Coon Ass, Redneck, Indian talk was messed up.

Terry you crack me up....slaving over a cnc all day and needed the humor.
smile.gif

Scotchbrite wont do that, but i have a foam sanding pad that does. Its 120 grit. with the barrel spinning in the lathe, when you hit the end to de burr or polish somehow it sucks inside the bore. Looks just like that picture, but i stopped after i realized what was happening and only lost about 1/8". cant for the life of my figure out how they got 1+ diameter down there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even if your rifle shot tiny groups by some miracle of 7 pound, 8 ounce baby Jesus, it probably would not do it for long and would absolutely be subject to squirrel stampedes without notice.

In the mean time, get Roscoe to make fixy fixy and enjoy your rifle afterwards.
</div></div>

Not to get off topic, but those have got to be the two most entertaining sentences I've read on this site in some time. </div></div>

I have found that due to my Texas and Louisiana roots, people expect that type of language in all facets of my communication. I felt obligated to use those parallels especially after posting about RPM, PSI and other technical jargon.
If anyone fails to follow the intent of the post, I can futher elaborate using a different context, possibly from Alabama or North Carolina.
</div></div>

ROFLMAO
cry.gif

Terry, can you re-phrase in Kentuckian for me, I don't understand...

I'm with the many above in thinking that the offending suppressor manufacturer should be outed, that job was properly fucked and their excuse plainly says that they believe it is ok and they will do it again on the next customers rifle. I say no allegiance is due....

JMHO

Presto Changeo..........Bada Bing better than new. Class 3A Gauged fit. The marks in the bore were caused by something going in and out in a polishing fashion. The marks were cross hatched
wink.gif

30ddkd5.jpg

2afe51j.jpg

16kcjet.jpg

34done8.jpg

4rupu9.jpg

I'll tell ya, if it wasn't for the pix of the thread cap "almost on" and "snugged up" there would be no way in hell to know that it even had one. Outstanding work William. And a blessing to your house. Duke.

34done8.jpg

4rupu9.jpg

Seriously, William. I thought a month or so for you to get to this, but it was delivered at 4:09 today, and you've got it done same day.

Wow... what can I say?

You're a first-class guy and a real professional.

Wow...

William, you are a genuinely gracious human being. When I become older and wiser, I hope I have half of your generosity and integrity. If I ever build another remmy clone, it will go to you.

If this site were devoid of any other redeeming quality, the integrity of the smiths that post here would still make this place worth a visit. You gentlemen are all top notch.
cheers.gif

Exceptional work William

Your generosity restores my faith in the human race

Now all we need to know is what make of can is going on there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Alright new_guy WTH is the range report? </div></div>

Yes, Sir. That's the least I owe you guys for your help here.

The rifle is an OTC Rem 5R in 308. I haven't fired it yet, as I knew the barrel would be cut, and I wanted to do my load development with the short barrel.

Rings and base are on order from Glen Seekins - should be here in @ a week.

New Leupold VX7 sitting here in the box.

As soon as I get it all here, I'll lapp the rings, mount the scope, and will be off to the range.

Thanks again, William!

wnroscoe, that's was an unbelievably kind move on your part. I'll be looking you up for future builds for sure.

I agree that the manufacturer should be named. They were given the opportunity to attempt to make things right, but chose to call it good enough. That's absolute bullshit.

New guy, if it were me, I'd be emailing them pictures of their work compared to a quality gunsmith and see if they notice a difference. Glad it worked out for you in the end, but it sucks that you had to go through it in the first place.

I've been lurking on this site for a while and just have to say that smiths like Roscoe are few and far between. I've seen Mike R. from Tac Ops show this same kind of generosity over at snipercentral. It's guys like this that make you want to spend your hard earned money with them.

On the other hand... It's guys like the one that jacked up this barrel in the first place that make people fear sending their rifle off to have work done.

The good ones deserve to be named for the benefit of all shooters. The bad ones deserve to be named for the same reason. JMO

Thanks for the very kind words guys. I'm a shooter first and foremost and one that in the past had to send his rifles off like you.

Yes, it's un-nerving to do so but, what choice do we really have at times. What I did was to try and save a black eye to our industry and show that there are still good guys out there that care.

The OP's rifle is waiting for Fed-X, it's going home today and has a smile on his face.........this happy ending is what I was shooting for.

Terry Cross has been in touch with the original shop that did the work, he's going to help get them lined out and re-trained with a few of our current techniques. Just for the record, Terry Cross is another very fine smith and one that I and a friend did use in the past before I started building rifles. I still use him from time to time for the KMW Bolt Knobs and his stock. I'm sending him an A5 this morning for his Cheek Piece Hardware, very stand up guy he is.

I just got my custom build back from an unnamed smith.
They were suppose to true the action, install
a 24 Obie barrel, and put it in a McM. Oh.. And top it with an NXS.
The excitement of opening that box went south real
quick! It still looks just like a factory LTR!
Man I'm pissed!
So anyway Roscoe..... I was thinking u could hook a brother up?
Lol.

Awesome display of many quality traits Roscoe.
I think a standing ovation is in order.
*standing and clapping*

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very stand up guy he is. </div></div>

William often parallels Master Yoda, coincidence?? I think not

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: misguided child2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my custom build back from an unnamed smith. Man I'm pissed!</div></div>

I talked to a guy over a year ago from Longview, TX that was going to let me build him a rifle. The deal never went through, he changed his mind
wink.gif

In the words of Larry King........how do you like me now Bitch
grin.gif

LOL.Dude! But I didnt change my mind on the build, I just bought a different rifle with the $ set aside for that build. And murphy's law has been in full effect since then! Save a nickle, spend two......and so on...
I still have everything in a pile. Donor rifle, barrel, etc. Ive got 300 pieces of brand new 300 win mag mag sized and trimmed and waiting on powder.
Works finally pickin up, so I doubt it will be long...
Now, If you wanna take that Sendero in 300RUM, SS,black flutes with an ops inc brake, almost 80 rds factory ammo, around 60 pieces of once fired brass in trade...... I can be there Saturday with it all!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: misguided child2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you'll take my Sendero in trade for building my 300 wm? </div></div>

No........when you get ready to build your rifle I'll be here is what I meant.

Thanks again William.
I am sad to say it but I can't find the thread of another build that william saved, IIRC it was a reciever that some other shop realy screwed the pooch on. william is making this kind of kindness a habit.
I'll donate to a super hero suit for him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadBot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't find the thread of another build that william saved,</div></div>

That was a rifle a guy in Houston had. The receiver just had a few mill cuts that werent finished, the chamber needed to be polished and all needed to be painted and bedded, no biggy.

Please post pics of the Asian girls.
smile.gif

Seriously, Awesome and generous step to take Sir.

I remember you talking to a guy from Fort Lauderdale too, who also backed out on you. For that I apologize openly. You truly are a gentleman.

Jack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please post pics of the Asian girls.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I kept this one for myself
wink.gif

r7ljki.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: misguided child2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya...well....I tried. Twice! </div></div>

Roscoe- The above could be taken several different ways.

For clarification.... I jokingly meant I tried to trade u my Sendero twice for a rifle build.

I will get my win mag to ya as soon as funds allow.

Over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: misguided child2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roscoe- For clarification.... I jokingly meant I tried to trade u my Sendero twice for a rifle build. </div></div>

Dude.....relax, it's all good. No problem on this end.....I know you were trying to jack me
wink.gif
Just Kidding!!

roscoe is building me one at the moment, i am extremely stoked about it, 24" kreiger fluted and painted, with a roscoe action, drob box mag, sitting on a A5 stock in gap camo, i have a nightforce 5.5-22x56 with badger rings awaiting to sit on top of that bad boy!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReflectionsBurn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">roscoe is building me one at the moment, i am extremely stoked about it, 24" kreiger fluted and painted, with a roscoe action, drob box mag, sitting on a A5 stock in gap camo, i have a nightforce 5.5-22x56 with badger rings awaiting to sit on top of that bad boy!! </div></div>

What caliber?

WOW. Live center is definately NOT the best way to thread concentric to the bore. Every bore has some curve to it, and a live center does NOT compensate for this. Range rod and spider is the only way to be truely concentric.

Mr Roscoe, Your kindness to a fellow shooter has damn sure made me want to send my next build or re-barrel to you. Do you do Winchester,mod 70 work? Ive noticed some folks only want to do the Rem 700. I'm Winchester poor and to the core shooter. Ill trade em off in a second if I cannot get em to shoot. I have a lead on a beautiful Mod 70 Varminter in .243 that some cat cooked , probally could not help himself on a hot dog field that I would like to re barrel in .308,Win target contour 24" 1 in 11.25 in the best barrel we can find. Ive had great luck with Douglas in .220 swift, schneider in .308 amd LW in .22 RF. , ROCK, Bartlein,??? Ill give you a shout if you work Winchesters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Straight from the whore's mouth.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Fixed it for you
wink.gif

William - Thanks again! Got the rifle back today, and it looks great. Thanks for taking the time to bead-blast the barrel... I'll post a finished photo ASAP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you all just leave William alone so he can get some free time to go paint a rifle.</div></div>

That's all I'm waiting on too....almost time to start gathering parts for another one.