• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes what in the name of god is this 8-80x56mm 34mm tub

Re: what in the name of god is this 8-80x56mm 34mm tub

I've actually read nothing but good things about these scopes. Other than their price, everyone praises their quality and say the clarity is second to none.

benchrest guys like em a lot. i looked through one a month ago, i think it was a 60 power, it was very clear at 60x.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/82hbMWbMdwA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/82hbMWbMdwA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

it looks like a little move of the head and the image is lost, maybe is the camera, maybe varminter would apreciate the extra power, i still trying to assimilate this concept.

squirrels, crow, prairier dogs beyond 400 yrd ?

That camera view looks forgiving and relatively the same image brightness.
The exit pupil should be 56mm/80x = 0.7mm. Or, 1/10th maximum of a human eye before degradation due to age. The exit pupil or eye box should be about 25% of a NXS 56mm OBJ at 20X. Using a 25x scope by comparision, I would have thought this too much magnification to be practical.

It's interesting. Anyone know if this optic is designed differently than a conventional riflescope outside the huge magnification range?

guys, its not built or designed for anything other than benchrest, both long and short range. So, small eyebox and finiky(sp) eye relief are not a concern as most of those guys barely touch their guns when they shoot em.

Well they also have tactical scopes the bigest is a 10-60x52mm still a lot of magnifiying power, does anyone has tried or compared vs nf, s&b, uso ?

it's meant for the the 1000yd BR game, with heavy bench mounted guns. The exit pupil at 80x is tiny, so you can't use that on anything other than a rig that is rock steady.

That stated, I don't think 80x gets used very often. Mirage will turn that into a no-hoper. I've got a 10-60x52 on an F/TR rig and I very rarely shoot it with magnification greater than 20x...

Amazing scope - amazing price...
With 8-80x you can shoot between the prairie dog´s eyes about 1000yds away..
smile.gif

At our Sept 1000 yd NRA Long Range match one of the F tr shooters, a well known national level shooter, used one of the 8 to 80 March Scopes. I did look through the scope, I think he was using 60X and you could easily see the X in the X ring of the 1000 Yd F target. Perhaps he was B.S.ing me but down in the pits he told me he could aim at a particular spot on the X. Any how Brad did win the F tr Class in the tournament shooting very well on Saturday, Sunday us lesser folks did catch up a bit but not enough to overtake the lead he established on Saturday.

Nice scopes if you can afford one.

Michigan Rifle and Pistol Association, Long Range Division,to see the scores, Sept.Long Range Championship.

Bob L.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ak-kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
look at this : 8-80x56mm 34mm tube, 60 moa

http://www.deon.co.jp/march/March-X.htm

does anyone have experience whit this brand, who needs an ultraoverpowered scope like this, i mean what is the intented purpose of this astronomical device.
</div></div>

Playing devils advocate,

Is it that this scope is over powered for it's size, or everyone Else's is vastly under powered for theirs?

I have a good friend that has one,

on a hunting rig,

to take a roe or fallow at 500 meters+ is getting easy, as stated above, in decent light, 50x does the trick,

it being a 8-80 does not change a thing really, the last 20x are not that usefull but me, I would own one in a heart beat could I afford it.

/Chris

A friend uses a March on his F-1 rifle, very nice, optics are super. If I were a dedicated BR shooter, sure. His was more than $3500, IIRC.

I wonder about their CS.

I'd rather talk to Paige or Becky.

Good point. Very good. I believe that more than x25 magnification is enough up to 2000 meters for sniping. But also x50-x80 magnification would be really nice for spotting holes from far away? But also i´m not sure about this kind of magnification, because - especially in hot weather - even over 25 times magnification target easily looks like after too many Jack D´s....

In summer time i use to shoot between 5-600 metres, and +25 celsius it is sometimes hard to see point of impacts with x22.

In this light, IMHO is that greater magnification is always welcome, if scope´s weight stays reasonable. And it will.
Surely FFP Mil-dot (or TMR or MLR) is very handy for snipers, but impossible to built in this levels of magnifications.

My opinion is that everyone just must pick the scope, which fits most nearly like a glove. (For example, my favourite scopes would be March X 5-50x56, Premier 5-25, S&B PM II 5-25x56, Hensoldt 6-24x72 & NF 5.5-22 & 8-32x56)

But when it comes to find all-own favourite combination, we must also check out what is offered, and in this point usually we must accept meeting in half way....

I would gladly also accept March 5-50x56, IF if would be available even 0.5cm clicks (1/8 Moa is way too fine one to me...)

With that much magnification, it would be hard to recover from recoil to spot your impact. We shot at Piedmont shooting range last year (600yd benchrest comp) and there was some shooters using March scopes who said they switched from nightforce over to March just because of higher magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hubble Space Telescope? </div></div>

Nah, that would be the Hensoldt 6-24x72.......... with out the mag range of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet they can't take a beating like Nightforce, Razor, S&B, or USO can. </div></div>

why would it ever need to? most BR guys tend not to jus toss their rifles around....

but, that's also a completely unfounded statement....they very well might hold up as good...

but, what...maybe 5% of people on this forum would EVER need to worry about that, either way

Interesting to see that they go for 1/8 clicks and 10 moa elevation per rotation when the rest of the manufacturers goes for high speed elevation, single turns and mil clicks....

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Def Con III</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone tell me prices on these or where to find them?.. </div></div>

Kelbly's is the exclusive distributor in the US.

Edit:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting to see that they go for 1/8 clicks and 10 moa elevation per rotation when the rest of the manufacturers goes for high speed elevation, single turns and mil clicks....

Håkan </div></div>

It's not a tactical scope, but for the type of target shooting that this scope is intended for (BR and F-Class) that's pretty much what you want.

I don't think I've ever had a day at the range here in Michigan or in Alabama that had so little mirage that I could have made use of more than 40 or 50 power...max! On a day that allowed it though....

A gunsmith I know uses one we were looking at pinecones at 1km and they looked like they were at 100m it's like a spotting scope with crosshairs run them for optics quality against a s&b anyday

It would be my fantasy if they could make something like a 5-40 with enough travel to get to 2200+ and a FFP PF4 type reticle. 80x seems insane though, I guess you could spot your actual holes in the target at 2k?

ETA: That 2.5-25 looks mighty small for what it is, I was expecting a beast. Extremely slick, I'm jealous!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be my fantasy if they could make something like a 5-40 with enough travel to get to 2200+ and a FFP PF4 type reticle. 80x seems insane though, I guess you could spot your actual holes in the target at 2k?

ETA: That 2.5-25 looks mighty small for what it is, I was expecting a beast. Extremely slick, I'm jealous! </div></div>

Well they have, just as above stated.

It will be released on shot show.

/Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ak-kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well they also have tactical scopes the bigest is a 10-60x52mm still a lot of magnifiying power, does anyone has tried or compared vs nf, s&b, uso ?</div></div>

I have the 10-60x52mm tactical model and love it. Never really new much about the scope until I asked my smith "Robert Gradious" what would he recomend. He said buy the March and don't look back. He was right. I have most of the other high dollar scopes and this is my favorite by far. I will be buying another one shortly for the next tac rifle he is building me.