• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What is my check list for hunting this season?

calico22

jackball
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2014
San Die go
Deer season starts at the end of next month. I have only 2 bow tags. My 2 girls have buck tags for rifle or bow. The little girl wants to bow hunt till rifle starts. This is my ?. I have used a ar-10 for the past four years,let alot of friends girls,wifes use it too. Iv'e had alot of failures (bullet getting stuck after the shot feeding. Primers falling in the trigger, they need alot of lube BGC area bla bla bla). I want to be ready for anything in the field. I think i'm using a crap system. However it was made with all the best parts From a trusted place. Bottom line give me a small tools and parts list that i can put in my back pack. Only the stuff I might need for the gun. I have all the other needs for my backpack for hunting. Thank you.C22

If you have primers falling out and bullets getting stuck in the bore, you have problems. Are you hand loading? How worn out is your brass? How long are you seating your bullets? If you are shooting factory loads, it sounds like your chamber is cut a little short. This could cause the bullets to stick on the rifling, which could cause a serious over pressure problem and blow primers, all of which is dangerous. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on without a little more info, but you really need to check things out very carefully.

I don't know how to post pics yet, However I should try to explain my problems better sorry. I use Black Hills 168 tsx match ammo and iv'e used the same brass and made a hand load that is pretty darn exact to the factory BH out of IMR 4064 42.5gr with federal210 primer topped with 168 ttsx. My biggest problem is after the shot the next round going in jams the brass gets dented pretty deep by ,(I dont know the exact terminology) the area where the bolt mates the chamber when it's closed. So the bolt pushes the bullet but it jams before sliding in almost at a 45degree angle. It will happen with both the factory and hand loads. only the factory loads will lose the primers though. So the 2 dents will be right where the brass starts to neck down to the bullet. I will try to have my son come over to post pics of the bullet damage. and teach me how. I need to stop fighting technology. I hope this helps some tks.

I agree with above for hunting you want a ultra reliable rifle. That said your original question is one I go over before every trip to the range or other place to go shoot. I like to keep things light and bring several firearm themed multi tools. The Leatherman mut is great but pricey. eventually I will buy one. I carry a general firearm multi tool and a cheap ar specific one that's mostly plastic along with Allen wrenches and star wrenches for all the scope ring and mount screws. A regular 30-30 dollar Leatherman Gerber sog multitools will have screwdrivers and pliers aND some other less useful tools.

Even with a ultra reliable hunting rifle I always have a multi tool and some allen wrenches in my hunting pack just in case. And if I go somewhere to hunt I always bring at least 2 rifles, and I'm pretry anal and I hate to be working up a hunting load in the fall it's just cutting things to close, you might consider researching what factory loads run good in your gun that fire a hunting bullet and go that route.

Last edited:
Still having trouble understanding your explanations especially without pictures.

I don't want to make a diagnosis without pictures and a better description of the failure mode.

But you definitely need a different rifle for this hunting season, assuming you cannot find a real gunsmith (not the person that put this one together) to fix your rifle.