• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What is your idea of a perfect PRS rifle build?

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi All - If budget/money was not a constraint, what is the rifle you would build for PRS matches? What action, stock/chassis, barrel length, twist rate, caliber, total weight, trigger etc you would choose?

Also, if possible also please share a bit about your experience shooting PRS matches.

Stuck on the action but I’d probably lean this route:
Action- Lone peak fuzion,
Stock- Vision Pro chassis
Barrel- ks arms 1.250 for 5” down to 1 or 1.1” 26” long 1:7.5 twist
Caliber- 6bra
Trigger- tt diamond
brake- spearhead 5 port

Although I’m currently building

Action- terminus Zeus
Stock- Vision Pro or mdt elite
Barrel- CRB comp contour 26”
Caliber- 25x47 Lapua
Trigger- tt diamond
Brake- spearhead 5 port.

Reactions: harry_x1
Have shot the sport for over 21 years now and have shot a lot of rifles and over the years they have changed in configuration and caliber as the game has changed. Now for open a light recoiling 6mm of some sort is mostly used with some 6.5s still hanging on. I have both in the safe.

Specs of a good rifle IMHO:

Reliable action that will take shouldered prefits
26"+ barrel in a heavy configuration with a good brake
7-7.5 twist for a 6mm, 7.5-8 twist for a 6.5mm
Chassis or stock of choice being able to add weights to get the rifle balanced and ARCA rail
A good trigger

Digging into anything more specific is getting into personal preferences. Weight will depend on what you can move through a stage with but in the 15 pound and up range is a good place to be so it settles on the bags.

This is what I would spec, just for you:

- 35 lbs, so its nice and stable for barricade benchrest and mitigates the harsh recoil of a 6mm. Look into Galena based weight kits.
- A 6mm that's designed to go really fast, but loaded really slow. This way you can watch trace without getting any of the ballistic benefits of a fast 6mm projectile. Think overbore 6mm capable of 3200 fps loaded down to 2700 fps. You also get to support the economy by constantly buying barrels.
- A single stage trigger with about a 1 oz pull, so you can slap the shit out of it and get each shot off faster. I think Jim See even has a trigger slapping course you can take to maximize the benefit of that 1 oz pull. Best when paired up with his free-recoil course.
- Make sure to put a tuner on it. A tuner will allow you to skip the entire load development process. Or to make 1+ MOA factory ammo into an 1/8 MOA shooter when you feel too lazy to reload. It also allows two projectiles traveling at 100FPS+ different MVs to land at the exact same spot on the target, any distance, guaranteed.
- A giant brake along with the tuner. Tame that beast of a 6mm. The more ports the better. I would aim for at least 6 ports.
- Pick whatever the current "bougiest" stock or chassis is at the time. 80% of PRS is about how good you look while doing it. ROs are also more likely to aware you "style points", which is necessary if you want to get to the podium.
- Obviously an Impact action, because they are 1000% percent better than any other action at barricade benchrest. All the jersey boys shoot them so what else do you need to know? Anything else may as well be trash, Impact is that much more gooder.

Doing the above will guarantee that your dick gets sucked at a PRS match* (see disclaimer below).

*No guarantees it will be a girl. It will almost definitely not be a girl. Consult your doctor if you have the sudden desire to wear a jersey with corporate sponsors, or develop sudden onset of aids.

Last edited:
Zermatt TL3
Manners TCS
26” Bartlein MTU spun up by 5x5 in 6Dasher
TT Diamond
Heathen 5Port
ZCO of some sort in a spur mount

That’s pretty much my current setup except I’m still on the Gen2 Razor train but possibly picking up a ZCO before next season

Last edited:
When are we going to get to the point there are rifle caddies so you can select a different rifle depending on the stage design and target package?
Some people do like to say PRS is like golf for men, so instead for a couple grand in clubs you’ve got essentially a newer car rolling around with you.

Reactions: Cody S and harry_x1
Out west you really can't have the perfect rifle. The top cartridges I see are 6GT,6Dasher, 6BRA and 6BR. As far as chassis, MDT pretty much drives the bus. There are particularly windy days and matches where a 25 CM or 6.5 CM may be a better choice. I think the 25 GT is going to be a go to for versatility.

for me?

Foundation Sampson (currently I am using MG2's as have not jumped to the Sampson yet)
Impact action
6GT
24"-26" straight or Comp Contour barrel
APA or MDT brake
MDT Ckye pod
TT diamond
Gen III razor, ZCO, TT or any other "top tier" optic. (I use Gen III and do not know if it classifies as top tier anymorel lol)

Lone Peak Fuzion, Impact 737r, or Terminus Zues whatever floats your boat.
26" + 1.25" straight barrel
6BR, BRA, Dasher in 7.5 twist
Chassis/stock is very person dependent but whatever is comfortable for you
Weight 22-24lbs but balance is more important
TT Diamond or Bix Taxpsport will do.

If you're new to this sport I would recommend a chassis such as the MPA or MDT as it will be alot more adjustable and easier to fit to you as well as add weights where needed. I personally prefer a Foundation but they do take a little work and aren't as easy to outfit.

- 35 lbs, so its nice and stable for barricade benchrest and mitigates the harsh recoil of a 6mm. Look into Galena based weight kits.
- A 6mm that's designed to go really fast, but loaded really slow. This way you can watch trace without getting any of the ballistic benefits of a fast 6mm projectile. Think overbore 6mm capable of 3200 fps loaded down to 2700 fps. You also get to support the economy by constantly buying barrels.
- A single stage trigger with about a 1 oz pull, so you can slap the shit out of it and get each shot off faster. I think Jim See even has a trigger slapping course you can take to maximize the benefit of that 1 oz pull. Best when paired up with his free-recoil course.
- Make sure to put a tuner on it. A tuner will allow you to skip the entire load development process. Or to make 1+ MOA factory ammo into an 1/8 MOA shooter when you feel too lazy to reload. It also allows two projectiles traveling at 100FPS+ different MVs to land at the exact same spot on the target, any distance, guaranteed.
- A giant brake along with the tuner. Tame that beast of a 6mm. The more ports the better. I would aim for at least 6 ports.
- Pick whatever the current "bougiest" stock or chassis is at the time. 80% of PRS is about how good you look while doing it. ROs are also more likely to aware you "style points", which is necessary if you want to get to the podium.
- Obviously an Impact action, because they are 1000% percent better than any other action at barricade benchrest. All the jersey boys shoot them so what else do you need to know? Anything else may as well be trash, Impact is that much more gooder.

Doing the above will guarantee that your dick gets sucked at a PRS match* (see disclaimer below).

*No guarantees it will be a girl. It will almost definitely not be a girl. Consult your doctor if you have the sudden desire to wear a jersey with corporate sponsors, or develop sudden onset of aids.

^^^ This, but I'll add in to make sure you've decked your rig out in stickers and patches of companies that you hope will sponsor you someday.

Oh, and an Arken scope because that's what all of the expert YouTubers say runs with the best these days.

Out west you really can't have the perfect rifle. The top cartridges I see are 6GT,6Dasher, 6BRA and 6BR. As far as chassis, MDT pretty much drives the bus. There are particularly windy days and matches where a 25 CM or 6.5 CM may be a better choice. I think the 25 GT is going to be a go to for versatility.
I want to embrace 25gt. Finding bullets is the downfall.

Reactions: FisherT&C

Bruh....lol

92fu0u.jpg

Post of the year

Just a few numbers for you to consider. The rest is personal preference and budget.

Your ideal rifle balances 4-5” in front of the mag well and per ‘what the pros use’ weighs 20-21 pounds for a 6 mm. The weight is caliber dependent. More bore more weight. For a 6.5 24# is better if you can lug it around.
You should be shooting slow enough to have your brain resume full control on target after the boom, usually 2800-2850ish on a six and 2720 and even less on a 6.5 if you go heavy pills.
The koolkids now go with the quarters (25 creed, 25x47, 25 gt) numbers in between of the above.
26-28” barrel length is ideal, angular momentum is your friend to have weight were has the bigger effect.
YMMV. Hope this helps.
The more shit you put on rifle and scope like red dots, timers and levels the more time you need to train to use it properly. If not keep them off you will look cool anyway.

Last edited:
I completely agree with it’s the more trinkets the more you need to train with them, I started running a timer and sendit level last year. Needless to say I forget to start the timer and barely pay attention to the send it once the clock starts.

Weight is a tough one, depending on what stock/chassis you start off with can kinda limit your down the road caliber range. I built a dasher with a heavy fill PRS1 from manners with it sits around 20ish pounds, shoots like a dream, balances right where you want but swap out to a 308 and it’s no longer a dream even though setup the same. Now I’ve got a TCS on order to allow me to weight it down but it’s still going to be on the lighter side unless I do a heavier barrel. Now had I gone with a chassis like a MPA or MDT I’d be able to chuck weight on there like it was nothing between the internal and external weight kits offered.

Last edited:
Reactions: LR1845 and giumau1
I consult my PRS Caddie before each stage.

-Stan
Caddie: Sir I recommend the dasher with the A-Tips for this one, but you’ll need to hold .2 left from the first position and straight up from position two.

Shooter: Thank you Nigel, I’ll be sure to reflect your advice in your tip.

Me: Ummm… I’m just gonna send it with the 308

the rifle I just built.
scope tt525p gen 3 xr, mount is arc low one piece with level.
American rifle company Coup De Grace
6mm creedmoor, 26" competition contour, tbac ultra 9 brake and suppressor.
foundation samson with the brass loaded tf down because I can't handle all that 6creedmoor recoil with my lack of 6 port muzzle brake.
plus I send the 109s at 3012fps so not entirely slow.
triggertech diamond flat, set to 14 oz. as the man said, barely light enough that I can slap that shit.
CDG has the accuracy international style fat bolt, 6 o clock open lug for AW magazines.
its a nice prs rifle and bench rifle.
only thing I may upgrade is my bipod, I may go to the mdt cykepod one of these days.

Attachments

• 20240820_124356.jpg
    20240820_124356.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Forgot to mention that the pefect build shoukd be made of two twin rifles, one for matches and the other for training. Then you will also have the side benefit to get admitted to the discussion 'what caliber to use for your PRS rifle trainer' that is an even funnier debate with respect to what caliber to use for your match rifle. Just to give you an idea you'll find people trying to convince you that .338 LM is the best caliber for training while others will definetely push you towards .223. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_beardsly
My idea of a perfect PRS build (including a .223 Rem trainer) is below:

Zermatt Origin action
MPA Matrix Pro chassis
MPA BA Scope mount
Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36x56 mrad
Bartlein heavy varmint barrel (6 creedmoor and .223 Rem by Southern Precision Rifles)
APA fat bastard brake
Triggertech Diamond single stage flat trigger (8 oz)

PRS Rifle with second barrel.jpg

PRS Trainer Rifle 223.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
Don’t mean to derail the discussion but why wouldn’t you want the trainer rifle to be the same cartridge as your comp rifle?

Only thing I can think of would be maybe cheaper components and/or longer barrel life. But that comes with the trade off of not practicing like you compete.

Reactions: giumau1
Don’t mean to derail the discussion but why wouldn’t you want the trainer rifle to be the same cartridge as your comp rifle?

Only thing I can think of would be maybe cheaper components and/or longer barrel life. But that comes with the trade off of not practicing like you compete.

You can certainly make the trainer exactly the same and have two barrels of the same caliber. One for practice and one for matches. But you will go through more barrels as if you practice with a 6mm then you will be going through one every 2-3 months for practice. If you have the money then go for it.

Also practicing with the same caliber you compete with is not needed. It's more about the manipulation at the firing line than what is happening down range. I like practicing with my .308 as it's extra recoil helps me work on my position and follow through so going to the 6.5 or 6mm feel even easier. Kind of like swinging a heavy bat for practice.

But in the end it's more about getting good practice versus what caliber you use.

You can certainly make the trainer exactly the same and have two barrels of the same caliber. One for practice and one for matches. But you will go through more barrels as if you practice with a 6mm then you will be going through one every 2-3 months for practice. If you have the money then go for it.

Also practicing with the same caliber you compete with is not needed. It's more about the manipulation at the firing line than what is happening down range. I like practicing with my .308 as it's extra recoil helps me work on my position and follow through so going to the 6.5 or 6mm feel even easier. Kind of like swinging a heavy bat for practice.

But in the end it's more about getting good practice versus what caliber you use.
Makes sense. Thanks