• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing What lube are you guys running?

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2012
    Somewhere in the US
    I am noticing a little more wear on some surfaces of my gear and think it’s time I upgrade to a better lube. What are you guys using? I think what I am using cooks off to quick! Buahaha. As soon as it gets hit it turns into a liquid mess and doesn’t really seem to hold up, imo. Looking for alternatives. The only think I like about it is that it comes out of a syringe, just don’t remember the name right off the top of my head.

I used m pro 7 for years and like it. I got a bottle of the ALG oil at shot show and been using it on a bunch of rifles and hand guns. I like it so far specially on suppressed guns.

I wish I could remember what oil i got as well and put on my 308. cleaned the rifle and oiled it with whatever it was, put it in the safe. took it out to go shoot 2 months later and when I went to check the parts to add alittle more oil, I had to mortar it to get the bolt to go back. needless to say it was all gummed up and took me an hour to get it clean again.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    I have been using Slip 2000 EWL for years. Love it and still have 4 bottles. I was recently given some Weapons Shield and think I might actually like it a little more. I haven’t noticed a difference in performance between the 2, the WS just feels a little slicker when I’m applying it. Both have performed flawlessly.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    5FB4F030-42DB-4619-A1FD-5A95B5BB538C.jpeg

Reactions: WYO09
    For any semi auto I use mobile 1 synthetic grease. A tub that will last years is $15 and for bolt guns I use Slip2000 EGW

Mobil 1 in the viscosity of your choice. Purchase a syringe or bottle to keep small amounts in and to use.

Im using all the typical stuff under the sun.

Everyone calls it snake oil but I like "Fireclean" for my ARS. Seems to keep the end of the bolt tail easier to clean than any others. Price sucks but it lasts.

Pistols slides and bolts raceways TW25B.

Im coming around to the idea of buying a quart of diesel rated synthetic motor lube from any quality refiner. Quart will last a good while.

If all those detergents keep a high compression diesel running than it will run a gun.

I stressed over oil when I ran my Harley - just use oil and re-oil often - you will be fine.

Last edited:
    Tried a lot but kept coming back to slip2000. Been running slip2000 EWL30wt the last couple years and like it. The last few months I have been trying weapons shield and really like that also
    I too think it may be a bit better. May switch.
    Grease I still like TW-25.

I still like the TW25B but also use CLP, mostly for wiping down and lubing big parts like the bolt carrier. But I have this giant syringe of EGW, I think that's Slip 2000, and have been and likely will be using it for a while. No complaints really but I liked the TW25B grease better.

Mobil 1 and Redline CV-2 grease; whichever is closer to my reach on bolt gun lugs.
    Rotella T3 to oil AK and AR bolts, with the above grease on the lugs. I like my auto rifles to be a wet, dripping mess.

Been running rotella 15w-40 in my suppressed ar's and it seems to work well. Cleans up nice. I think the detergent in the diesel oils has something to do with that. Been using Lucas gun oil on everything else.

I have used 30 weight Mobil 1 in the past and don’t care for it. Does it work, absolutely! Best part is if your ever near your vehicle, you always have extra. However, I prefer slip 2000 ewl and weapons shield. I think it sticks around a little better and also cleans up easier. I am now using the weapons shield grease on my pistol rails, slide, etc. also in my AR triggers. I previously used a red synthetic grease I got at the parts store and had left over from packing my trailer bearings. But, if I have weapon specific lubes on the shelf, that’s what I prefer to use. I did try froglube in the past after taking a carbine class, and I will say that in the heat of the summer, running AR’s hot, etc worked fine and cleaned up ok. HOWEVER, I would never again use it on a weapon in cold weather. I had 3 shotguns that seized up due to the lube and cold weather. It doesn’t like cold to begin with and turns thick, it turns into a whole different animal when it was put on a shotgun a few months back and now you take it into cold weather. It’s beyond hard and was almost like a thick syrup. Very gummy. I no longer use froglube for anything.

+1 on the frog lube. It worked ok until it sat for a couple months. Figured out that the dipstick on my truck was a shitty way to lube a pistol but it ran afterwards...I had a hell of a time getting that gummy shit off of everything. Now i use lucas gun oil for light oil, vactra way oil for heavy oil and mobil synthetic grease where required.

I've used a ton of different stuff. FP-10, Slip 2000 EWL, Break Free, MPro 7, Lucas Gun Oil, Hoppes Oil, ATF, Mobil 1, various greases like Lucas Red N' Tacky, Redline CV-2, and Super Lube, Triflow... even some engine assembly lubes like Torco, Comp Cams, and Lucas. Still waiting to try Weapon Shield but I have enough lubricants. I have a lot of greases because I used to do a lot of work on cars and motorcycles, so I just used what I had on hand.

My favorites thus far have been the Slip 2000 EWL for oil and Super Lube for grease. Engine oil is great but doesn't offer much in the way of corrosion resistance. It also tends to stink when firing. Engine assembly lube is great too, but tends to be thick. I like to cut it with a lighter oil 50/50. But the Slip 2000 EWL I can easily carry in my range bag and it works great. It even freed up a sticky action on my friend's Beretta shotgun after he let it sit for a while with Break Free in the action.

Last edited:
    surplus CLP for places I need liquid oil... TW25 for most grease needs. Used to use shooter's choice grease, until it gummed up my sig 556 in cold weather, which is usually pretty violent in it's extraction and ejection.

Been running rotella 15w-40 in my suppressed ar's and it seems to work well. Cleans up nice. I think the detergent in the diesel oils has something to do with that. Been using Lucas gun oil on everything else.

I do the same but with T6 5W-40 since I run it in everything from the mowers and pressure washers to my Mustang...I've had to pull a dipstick more than once and add a few drops of oil to guns at shoots or classes before and it's always worked great. I have had great luck with Fireclean on the suppressed stuff, but that T6 has worked quite well also! Lately I've been using Amsoil grease on lugs with pretty good results among multiple rifles since it's cheap and I always have some in a grease gun handy.

I have had great results with diesel oil. For the last 3 years I've been using Tetra lube and grease on pistols and my target rifles. There is something magically about how slick and smooth an action or slide can become after using this stuff.