Rifle Scopes What scope for my new Anschutz .22LR ?

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
Guys I bought a decent .22LR. I run NF on my quality bolt guns. Don't really want to put that big of a scope or even know if one is appropriate? Totally new to rimfire. Sure I have a 10/22, but you know what I mean.

I want a very fine reticle, i think ? I have seen guys with pretty high magnification on their .22's.

I will use to practice off hand. Maybe hunt some and basic target shooting. I was thinking something in 3-9 or 4-16? What is your favorite .22 scope and what's your application?

Thanks shooters.

PB

Guys I bought a decent .22LR. I run NF on my quality bolt guns. Don't really want to put that big of a scope or even know if one is appropriate? Totally new to rimfire. Sure I have a 10/22, but you know what I mean.

I want a very fine reticle, i think ? I have seen guys with pretty high magnification on their .22's.

I will use to practice off hand. Maybe hunt some and basic target shooting. I was thinking something in 3-9 or 4-16? What is your favorite .22 scope and what's your application?

Thanks shooters.

PB

"DECENT" Hey Anschutz are quality guns. I don't know what model you have, they do make several, you may have a target type or sporter but whatever you have Anschutz are great shooters. I personally would not put a large scope like a NF on one but they do deserve a good scope. I own a Model 1720 Classic in 22mag, I have a zeiss conquest 4.5-14X44. I choose this scope because not only it has very clear glass but also the mildot reticle is very thin. Don't go bargain brand it's an Anschutz!!

I don't think I would sell yourself short in the magnification dept..... Your rifle is most likely capable of shooting better than you think. I shoot a Remington 40x in some local matches and use a vortex viper 6-24x50. I get beat on a regular basis by guys with Anschutz rifles.

That being said, I would probably opt for a 4-16 of some variety. I think that magnification range has the broadest utility. I have been very happy with my vortex fwiw. They make scopes in all price ranges and have a good warranty if you ever have problems. Glass is really clear.

Good luck

I've used a bunch of scope on my .22's, and you don't say how much you want to spend. That said, here are some of my favorites:

SWFA SS 6x42mm $299.95 - Simple, cheap, and I use this one for squirrel hunting on a Kimber HS. 30mm Tube, Clear focus down to 10M.

SWFA SS 3-15x42 MM $699.95 - I have not bought this one yet, but a hunting buddy loves his on his Anschutz 54 .22. 30mm Tube, Clear focus down to 7m.

Leupold 3-9x33 Ultralight EFR $399.95 - My son has one of these on his HB Anschultz 64. 1" tube, and Clear focus down to 25 feet...

Bushnell 6-24x50mm Tactical Elite $859.00 - Ran this one for a while, but it's big and heavy. But if you need the magnification, it's a great .22 scope. 30mm tube, clear focus down to 25 yds.

Leupold have a couple very nice rimfire scopes.
I have been shooting rimfire for 50 years. Tried a lot of product.
Great success with the 2-7 rimfire. 3-9 w/ AO is better yet. If only shooting 50yds, the 2-7 is 220.00 very well spent. Fine duplex is good for target and field.
I have targets people insist are one round targets. Shot with the 2-7. Five rounds thank you. Bipod, bean bag. As always.
It is my opinion that high mag. is a limiting [negative] asset. Benchrest, well.....
Kahles used to offer a 2-7 rimfire. Good luck finding one but is so, good find.

I would consider the 4-16 PST Vortex FFP in MIL or MOA whatever is your flavour my friend has one on his Savage .308, I know the glass is not SB quality but it is reasonable wont stop you from making any hit, bonus is you can get all the features of your more expensive scopes good for familiarity. I was impressed enough that I purchased one for my own use.

Thanks for the replies. Yea, I'm thinking 3-9 or 4-16. Not really wanting turrets , but maybe some bullet drop stadia.
That fine reticle point is well taken. I like a real fine reticle. Good info guys, thank you. Any more info is appreciated.

FYI, it's a hunting sporter heavy barrel version with 23 inch barrel. Will use on squirrels and paper.

Thanks for the replies. Yea, I'm thinking 3-9 or 4-16. Not really wanting turrets , but maybe some bullet drop stadia.
That fine reticle point is well taken. I like a real fine reticle. Good info guys, thank you. Any more info is appreciated.

FYI, it's a hunting sporter heavy barrel version with 23 inch barrel. Will use on squirrels and paper.

Consider eye box, FOV and eye relief along with the reticle.

One of the better scopes out there for 22 is the Bushnell 3-12x44. It's FFP, has illume, has 10Y parallax which you'l appreciate for shooting squirrels up close, can be had with the G2 reticle which has a thin crosshair in the middle and the glass is very good. It has one fault, the eyebox is a little tight on 12x.

Don't underestimate how important it is to have a scope that has parallax adjustment as close as possible. Why???, to eliminate parallax error at close range and so you have a clear focused image. Experiment... Take your NF outside, set the parallax to 50Y, look 15-20Y up into a tree and move your head around in the scope to note parallax error, also note that the image is blurred slightly.

If you want a inexpensive scope the best one I've had is Midways BSA tactical 4-14/$250. It compares very close to $700 scopes and no I'm not exaggerating.

Last edited:
Best buy for the money is the Viper 6.5-20x44 that Cameraland sells for $280 delivered. That one has a fine plex cross hair. I own 6 of them. Glass is superb. It has target turrets that are lift to set. No allen wrenches needed. 70" of internal adjustment.

Last edited:
Accurate 22lr's warrant good quality scopes. If you intend shooting beyond 100yds, you're going to need a canted base and a scope with a good amount of travel. You can equate the trajectory of a 22lr at 1/4 that of a .308Win. Meaning shooting a 22lr at 100yds is akin to shooting a .308Win at 400yds, etc..

You also want the parallax to be adjustable down to at least 25yds, if not closer. That is not a feature always available on CF riflescopes.

Hows the optical clarity and eye box on that 2.5-10?
Sounds like an interesting set up.

Excellent, I have that same scope on my SCAR 16s which I shoot out to 400+ yards. I was not a fan on Vortex in the past as I always thought their glass was subpar even their scopes offered many features for their cost. This scope is very clear all the way upto 10x and does not suffer from image degradation at the limit. Eyebox is pretty good considering the size of the objective lens. No problem whatsoever getting a clear picture at max magnification behind the scope. It even has fairly low barrel distortion (ie. fishbowl effect) at 2.5x. However, I did notice slightly more lens flare than my Leupold MK6.

I have a nikon 6.5x20 on mine. It has the adjustable obj but a duplex crosshair. Does everything that I want it to do but I don't shoot out past 200 or so.