• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes What should I buy IOR or USO?

Ithaca12

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2011
North Dakota
I am looking into upgrading to a higher end scope for my long range shooting. I've had my eye on one of the IOR 3-18x42 ffp's at liberty optics. I beleive it to be the snipers hide edition thats now back in stock. But I have also been eyeing the USO 3.2-17x42 sn3 moa/moa ERGO. I have not used or even looked thru either one of these. I have been taking the advice of more experienced persons on the subject. Is the USO worth the extra cash for a hunting to 900yd or target to 1700yd gun. As of now I have been using a Leupold Vx3 LR 6.5-20 which has given me zero trouble after cranking the knobs many times. I just want to get into better glass and durability. Any suggestions.

Re: What should I buy IOR or USO?

Joseph, I have both the SN3 and 2 IORs. If you don't mind a suggestion...get the 3.5-18x50 IOR with digital illumination from Liberty Optics....I love the one I have. But then again..my SN3 with a Horus H-25 reticle isn't leaving the house either. You cannot go wrong with either but go with the 3.5-18x50 vs the SH edition. It is a better scope for similar money and the same Snipers Hide designed A5 reticle.

I vote USO, always nice to support an American buisness. Aside from that, USO's have more reticle options, are probably built tougher, but the IOR is a little more compact. Like mentioned above, if you do decide to go with the IOR I strongly suggest you look at the 3-18x50, it is all upgrade compared to the SH edition, and would be more even matched compared to a decked out SN3. Good luck!

Thanks, like I said I have no experience with either one of these companies. I have heard good things of Valdada from multiple sources except for the problems with the internals of the older models that I've been told have been fixed. I was thinking I'd like to buy USA but haven't been looking into USO until very recently. Why the IOR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote USO, always nice to support an American buisness. Aside from that, USO's have more reticle options, are probably built tougher, but the IOR is a little more compact. Like mentioned above, if you do decide to go with the IOR I strongly suggest you look at the 3-18x50, it is all upgrade compared to the SH edition, and would be more even matched compared to a decked out SN3. Good luck! </div></div>
If the 3-18x42 SN is a gen 4 what would be the difference in the 3-18x50?Is the gen4 the uprgraded IOR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph V.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote USO, always nice to support an American buisness. Aside from that, USO's have more reticle options, are probably built tougher, but the IOR is a little more compact. Like mentioned above, if you do decide to go with the IOR I strongly suggest you look at the 3-18x50, it is all upgrade compared to the SH edition, and would be more even matched compared to a decked out SN3. Good luck! </div></div>
If the 3-18x42 SN is a gen 4 what would be the difference in the 3-18x50?Is the gen4 the uprgraded IOR? </div></div>

Well the first 2 generations fo the SH edition had alot of problems, and were all finally fixed with the 4th gen, but the 3-18x50 has been seriously thought out before it was delivered to the market. It has more space behind the turret housing to make it easier for you to get a proper eye relief when mounting the scope, (one of the negatives of the SH edition). Also eye relief does not change hardly at all with increase in magnification on the new model(which is a big improvement), and tunnel effect is pretty much eliminated after around 4x. The 3-18x50, is pretty new to the market however, and has a short track record when compared to the SN3. Have you considered the Vortex Razor HD yet?

I have not thought of the razor. My thought was they are fairly new to the optics arena. Or are they? I had not heard of them until several years ago and would like to stick with a manufacturer with a track record. Like I said they may have one I just may not be familiar wth it. I have been using leupold products on my rifles for a long time, but when it comes to the M4 product line with a FFP reticle it seems the price doesn't match the features you'd get. I do have a FFP leupold with M1 turrets put together by premeire reticle with their gen 2 reticle, had it since 05 and has been flawless.
I just am leaning toward the IOR or U.S.O

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php...-part-ii&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4

Sorry its not hot, I can't do that from my phone easily. Anyways look up the high bend tactical 3 review thread and use that to get to the high end tactical scope part 2 thread. In it they review both the IOR 3.5-18 and the Uso h are asking about. Bother of which were on my list of possible buys. After reading the review I am saving for the IOR personally.

Pat

I have had 2 IORs - both 3-18x42s. One was the FFP and the other SFP. I really like both a lot but actually preferred the SFP. They both had MP-8 dot reticles and the SFP had a slightly smaller dot when both zoomed at 18X. The newer 3-18 with the 50mm obj may even be better, but don't think you will be disappointed with any of them. I currently have an IOR spartan (2-12x) on a semiauto 308 and love it!

Funny I'm going through this exact same debate right now. I'm really digging the IOR, but a nagging part of me wants the USO. For what I doing, I don't think I can justify the added expense though.

Buy once cry once...USO all the way. They are great optics and built like a tank. I have a SN3 3.2 x 17 MOA/MOA and also a Vortex Razor (EBR 1). Both are nice optics but if I have to make a choice I think I would go USO. Great customer service as well Vortex does too.

I have 2 IOR's, one being the 2-12 and the other being the 3-18. I also have a USO ST-10. I like to buy American made, but the IOR's are of great quality for the price. USO has great customer service, but if you go through Liberty optics for IOR, Scott will back it 100%. It all depends on what you can or want to spend. These are both very good scopes you are picking from.

I've had and competed with both. I shoot USO now.

IOR's have great glass, and Scott at Liberty is one of the best in the business. Valdada has come quite a long way with customer service in the past few years as well.
Unfortunately, its been my experience that IOR's have let me down enough mechanically that I cannot shoot them with confidence, and I have to be confident in my gear.
The SH 3-18 is (IMHO) the best one I've peersonally ran.

USO has backed our sport for years, build what you want and stands behind their product 100%
I cannot think of a major match I've been to where a gift certificate for enough value to get a well equipped SN3 was not on the table.

I could type all morning about my positive experiences with USO as a product and as a company, but you can serach my user name and keyword "USO" for all that, I gotta go shoot.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph V.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really leaning towards the USO 3.2-17 probably a used one, I've yet to have anyone say they had a problem with their's.
Made in the good old USA. </div></div>

You will be very happy with your choice, USO stands behind their stuff 100%, and a big +1 for the good ole USA!

My buddy has had 2 of the 3-18x42s fail, the 2nd time just a few weeks ago
IOR is going to replace it with the new 3-18x50

He should have it soon, about the same time I get a USO 3.2-17x44 built to my specs.
Definitely plan to do an A/B comparison test.

I have the IOR 3-18 FFP and several USO's. The IOR has very good clarity glass and lots of solid features for the money. That said, I trust the USO's to be more durable. If the cost difference is not the deciding factor I would go USO without question.

Price is somewhat of a factor, that's why I'd be looking into a used USO. Basicly the reason for my post was to get info from users of both products to help me decide if the extra cash for a used USO is worth it, over 1750 for a new 3-18x50 IOR. I will spend more for durability, even if Valdada has fixed the problems they've had it'll always be in the back of my mind.

Joseph V.

I understand the desire to have a top end optic. There is no doubt that IOR and USO are fine pieces of glass. I have examples of each, as well as NF and more than a few Leupolds.

That being said, you stated that you have " a Leupold Vx3 LR 6.5-20 which has given me zero trouble after cranking the knobs many times."

Is there something that your VX3 is failing to do? If it is failing to track, not being repeatable, etc, I understand. If that was the case I would look at replacing it.

I have numerous MKIVs and VX3s. They were made prior to Leupold deciding to outsource many of their parts offshore. They all track well and perform as expected. If not, they would be down the road.

Today, I do not look at Leupold first. I generally look at the offerings from Nightforce or USO or someone else. That being said, I have no intention of replacing my reliable Leupolds until they fail to perform as expected.

It is not my intent to discourage you from buying a nice piece of glass, I would simply look at what your needs and expectations are.

If I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I would look at a top notch spotting scope or laser range finder or something along those lines, if I did not already have such gear.

A nice Swarovski spotter w/ a Bogen Manfrotto bipod is hard to beat:

008-4.jpg

Just a different perspective.

If you "just gotta have it, just because" there is nothing wrog with that either. I ended up with a 20 year old Land cruiser that way.

If you are talking 1750 for the 50mm new model vs about 1500 (if I remember correctly what I paid for my 3-18x42) you are getting closer to used prices of SN-3's. I bought all mine used for between 19-2200.

Check out the Razor HD; good glass, good reticles, has all the features you want as well as a ton of internal adjustment which you will need if you're shooting at extreme distances.

FWIW I have an IOR 3-18x42ffp. I was in the process of selling it but the guy who was buying it off me reneged so I said the hell with it. It tracks, it's clear, it holds zero, and unlike my mk4 the reticle isn't canted so I'm keeping it.

high end tactical scope review

Theres the link made hot for you.

As i said yesterday i am myself looking for a nice scope and that review helped me out alot. I am leaning towards the IOR myself for several reasons.

After speaking with Liberty optics I know that the 3.5-18*50 are built much better, and none that liberty optics have sold have come back for durability issues like the 3-18*42. Also IOR and liberty optics are great customer service just like USO so I call that even in my mind.

The review I linked to seems to say that the IOR glass is ALMOST as good as the high end big boys like Premier and Henny, while the USO glass while good, does not match the IOR picture. I can not say personally as I have not looked through any scopes of this prestige myself, and have little or no chance to do so.

After weighing those options and having it be pretty even with glass quality going to IOR and durability due to past issues going to USO, it does come down to price. I am not a tactical recon seal delta comando, nor do I claim to be, so if by some small chance my scope pukes its guts and I have to send it in, I am not out anything except a scope for a few weeks. If i was, then utmost durability and track record of quality and quality issues would be at the top of my list, however knowing that i would get taken care of by both companies I decided its no issue with eiter company.

You will spend 2000+ for a used USO or 1750 for a new IOR. That alone is 250 dif in cost for used vs new. If you get both new the cost differance could easily be 500-750. Is the CHANCE that you could be without a scope for a week or two worth the differance in cost? To some it might be, to me its not.

Now if i can just decide between the IOR and premier. . . .

Pat

I also vote USO, I've read good things about IOR and don't doubt them. But I own a USO, i like the customization, the fact it's american, and it's durable as hell. There aren't that many negatives on USO. Even if you were to have a problem they will fix you up quick fast and in a hurry without hesitation.

Mackay, I have never had a problem with any of my leupolds but I do have a friend who has. I HATE sending things in!! All of my rifles wear Leupold scopes of the VX3 variaty just looking to own at least one premium Tactical rifle scope. I do own a leup VX3 built by premeire with the FFP gen2 reticle with M1 turrets that has been great. I am looking for the FFP type of scope and I don't wan't to pay what leupold wants for one of theirs. You are right its one of those "just gotta have" things.
I do not shoot competition nor am I a member of a swat or special ops team.
I do like to equip myself with the best equipment I can not afford.
I feel that the rifle it would sit on deserves a upper end optic.

I'm running 2 USO sn3's They are both very good scopes. I can't comment on the IOR. I would buy another USO without hesitation. They have tons of options so you can have exactly what you want. I can't say that about every other manufacture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph V.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I feel that the rifle it would sit on deserves a upper end optic. </div></div>
Based on this I would say try the IOR. If you were doing anything remotely strenuous I would immediately switch to the USO, because it's designed to be a tough, durable optic.
I like the glass on the IORs better, and I love the MP-8 dot reticle, so I use IORs and have never had a problem. I've had 4 of them so far.
Jason

I've read thru the (High end tactical scope review) thanks for the link SLUHstud. Great article! Would really love one of the top three but alas out of my price range. Seems that the IOR got the nod for below 2k optics. Not sure why the particle inside the IOR scope wasn't of more concern. I'd be pretty upset if it were a $500 dollar scope. That one factor says to me, QUALITY CONTROL? BUt I have not ruled them out mainly because of the weight and size difference. I hunt with mine alot and weight is of concern as well as the overall size. I also seem to bang my stuff around pretty bad and thats where the durability issue comes in.

From a similar thread I posted in:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We actually have WAY more quality options now than any time I know of regarding good tactical scopes.
But.......you do get what you pay for.

The most important scope qualities in my book:
-reliable f'ing adjustments
-f'ing reliable adjustments
-f'ing reliable f'ing adjustments
^there's my top three, everything else is a bonus but without them, nothing else matters.

And reliability isn't cheap, but confidence is very sexy. </div></div>

Glad you read through the link, i thought it was a good read myself as well.

I agree the item on the lense of the IOR is semi troubling, but then again I have seen issues of similar type with many other reviews. I have heard of dust and hair in high end scopes, including USO scopes. I think unfortunatly its luck of the draw. Most will not have issues, but as with everything, sometimes someone has a bad day.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph V.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I HATE sending things in!!</div></div>

Go nightforce F1 then. They are the most (proven) durable in your price range. I still vote Razor HD though.

I've owned 5 IORs and 1 USO over the years.

I still have the USO....

I wouldn't buy another IOR product if my only alternative was to whittle a longbow out of my femur and shoot my ribs as arrows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned 5 IORs and 1 USO over the years.

I still have the USO....

I wouldn't buy another IOR product if my only alternative was to whittle a longbow out of my femur and shoot my ribs as arrows. </div></div>

And with the USO, if you just happen to run out of ammo, you can always take the scope off, beat whatever it is you are shooting at to death and then put the scope right back on the rifle, just saying.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want durability buy a Nightforce. </div></div>
there is a reason all the fifty cal shooters assn. run the nightforces , and its not bc they spent all their money on reloading components.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned 5 IORs and 1 USO over the years.

I still have the USO....

I wouldn't buy another IOR product if my only alternative was to whittle a longbow out of my femur and shoot my ribs as arrows. </div></div>

haha
If you don't mind me asking, what models were they, and what kind of problems did you have?

I'm inclined to agree look at NF and Vortex also. If your going for NF with the bells and whistles though, FFP, Zero stop, Illumination, (The F1) it's going to run you a little shy under the USO SN-3, about 110$ apart. Since your already wanting a USO i'm assuming, you would just go with the SN-3. The Vortex is kind of priced in the middle of all three. More expensive than the IOR less than the USO and NF. Read nothing but great things about Vortex also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph V.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mackay, I have never had a problem with any of my leupolds but I do have a friend who has. I HATE sending things in!! All of my rifles wear Leupold scopes of the VX3 variaty just looking to own at least one premium Tactical rifle scope. I do own a leup VX3 built by premeire with the FFP gen2 reticle with M1 turrets that has been great. I am looking for the FFP type of scope and I don't wan't to pay what leupold wants for one of theirs. You are right its one of those "just gotta have" things.
I feel that the rifle it would sit on deserves a upper end optic. </div></div>

JosephV,

When You work hard there is not a dang thing wrong with "just gotta have it". Buying top end quality is never a bad deal anyways unless you have loved ones suffering because of it.

I am at the point in life where I have safes full of stuff that do not get used nearly enough and I am in the process of "thinning the herd", in regards to gear.

I would rather have just a few high end precision rigs, hunting rifles, custom 1911s,revolvers or whatever that are EXACTLY how I want them, than 50 rifles in my safe that are almost perfect.

Good luck!

Joseph, take what you see with a grain of salt on any scope opinion. Especially when you read negative posts about I wouldn't own XYZ brand again they are crap stuff. Some people just have an axe to grind and will never get their head our of the rear.

That being said All top of the line scopes have their places. I like IOR and USO. I am getting very warm with Vortex based on the last two optics I purchased that were spotters. NF and I don't get along, their scopes mess with the curature to my corrective lenses and will not own one, but they are a great optic.

So choose wisely and get what you want and can afford. I will stay with IOR and getting them from Scott at Liberty Optics and USO.

However, if I need more magnification than 17 power due to older eyes....a Vortex will replace my USO with the new EBR2B reticle in a heart beat. Actually I am thinking about it as I type this. Love that scope for one of my DTA 338's.

I also had the miss fortune of owning three IOR products. All three took a major dump. The last product I owned from IOR was just a fix 6x42. Once I sent it back for repair I was told I had an older model. They would replace it with a newer 6x42 but would have to charge me an additional $125 for the pleasure. I got it back and sold it for a $25 dollar loss. My only two mistakes when it came to IOR was (1) beleiving in IOR products and the company. (2) not buying from Scott. At least with Scott I would have had a voice to speak for me. But number two begs a question. Why is it I can only buy from Scott and be assured of some protection from the folks at IOR? I since have purchased Three USO products, one Nightforce and as of last week on S&B Short Dot Oh and a Elcan Spector DR. They all hold up well. The IOR products bearly made it through the zero process before something was wrong. But I can tell you I was impressed with the glass by the way. But that meant little when you consider I had to send them back and get up charged. I have used all the above scopes and have opinons of them but that's not for this thread. The question is USO or IOR What should I buy. Well I always say friends don't let friends buy IOR. I don't know you but there is my opinon buy USO. For that matter buy anything you want but be carefull where you buy IOR.

Mackay, My thinking exactly. I have way to much stuff sitting around. To purchase a scope for around $2K I am going to part with some of those just had to have firearms that I just didn't need. Now a high end optic is a must have if I want to step up my game in the area of shooting I've recently gotten hooked on. My long range heavy rifle is from Nathan at Straight Shot Gunsmithing here in ND and deserves a premium piece of glass. He's also built me a medium weight hunting rig in 6.5x.284 which wears a custom VX3 LR FFP from premeire. So I am in the process of getting things the way I want them. I know everyone has their own opinion, but like I said "I HATE SENDING THINGS IN" if anyone out there can tell me a story of a USO shitting the bed on them post it please. Because I believe my decision has been made.
Thanks everybody.

I had three IOR 2.5-10x and two of the SH Edition 3-18 IORs have major problems or die within 400rds. Never again. There is just no reason to buy one & take the chance when you can have Vortex or NF for not that much more money.

I own a USO SN3. A great high end American made scope that I was able to customize to my liking. Above all, if anything ever becomes a problem with the scope I will be dealing with American customer service.
USO also gives 10% military discounts.