• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What's the most budget, Bang for Buck, no frills afterwards Barrel and stock combo for a 10/22?

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
I've got 3 10/22s. Never considered them more than a plinker as the accuracy is sketchy.
At least, not where I can trust them for a head shot on a squirrel @30yds like I can with my CZs.

That in mind, if I have them, I want one of them accurate/consist enough for squirrels.

Not wanting a head to tail build, just the meat and potatoes of a decent bbl, and a stock to accomidate it. No carbon, no fluting. Possibly threaded so I can run a can.

Whatcha got?

Not exactly drop in parts, but…

I drilled a cleaning hole in the back of the receiver for cleaning rod. I think midway now offers a jig for that, which would really simplify the job if you dont have a lathe or mill (I don’t have either).

I put a stud in the back of the stock that seats into the cleaning rod hole. That adds a second hold down point.

Then I glass bedded the actiom and first 3 inches of the barrel. Remainder of barrel free floated. Tossed that barrel band in the trash.

Polished basic trigger parts to get rid of gritty pull.

Sounds harder than it is. You might have to refinish stock if you get sloppy with fiberglass. Basically a rainy Saturday afternoon project.

Groups shrank dramatically after that work. I regularly head shoot squirrel and bunnies with that rig now.

I was going to recommend a Brimstone trigger job but just checked their website - looks like they have discontinued trigger work and only selling parts. So unless you want $$$pring for a Kidd then maybe a BX trigger?

I also recommend the Titan stock (with a Spike cuz YOLO)

Hell, my bone stock 10/22 was good for head shots on rabbits and squirrels when I was a kid. But, that was a few decades ago. I’m not sure of the quality of current 10/22 barrels. The rprr barrels seem a bit inconsistent.

I have since put a Tac sol barrel on my Ruger 10/22. It was inexpensive enough, and so was the Magpul stock.

But, in the long run, the most cost effective option is probably just buying a Kidd Supergrade and feeding it CenterX.

Reactions: RTH1800
Green mountain and Feddersen barrels shoot great as well, I have both. I did the cleaning hole anchor point on a couple rifles as well, no rocking and they pretty much shoot one hole at 25 with CCI SV, I've got about 20K of it so I'm still shooting it in the 10/22's. Titan stock works fine, I like chassis's better for PRS type matches.

Another vote for the Victor Titan stock . I have an 18" bull barrel paired with it and balances well for hunting and is stiff enough bipod shooting .

Kidd Barrel for sure. You should be able to consistently put one through a squirrel's eye at 30 yards with one and decent ammo.
Victor titan is probably the best bang for the buck stock, but the Magpul Hunter isn't bad either for the price.

My Kidd 20" Threaded Bull Barrel will do 1/2 groups no problem at 50 yards with Norma Match 22 which is pretty cheap ammo.

1724093844861.png

I did a very small amount of research and found that a squirrel’s head averages ~1-2” wide and ~2-3” long; depending upon species, sex, and age of the squirrel. From that, I printed out a bunch of 1” circles, packed my Tac Sol barreled 10/22, grabbed some CCI SV ammo and headed to the range. I have access to a 25y and 50y range, so you’ll all need to be satisfied with 50y shooting. (The gun shoots Lapua CenterX better than the CCI, but that’s like 3-4x more expensive when you can find it.)

35(ish) year old Ruger 10/22 action and bolt.
Tac Sol barrel
Kidd 2 stage trigger
Magpul stock
Cheek rest whittled from irrigation pipe
CCI SV ammo

IMG_6333.jpeg

All of this is to say that a relatively inexpensive barrel and ammunition is more than sufficient for squirrels at short range.

My Kidd shoots better than the above, and adding better ammo it shoots better still.