• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What's ya'll's opinion of this 10/22 setup?

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
I know very little about the 10/22 aftermarket, so this may be common. However, I've never seen it before.

A friend that recently passed away left his guns in my care. While cleaning this Ruger, I noticed the scope rail had 2 additional screws that tapped into the barrel. I know the factory V Block bbl mount is questionable.
How well does this setup work for accuracy and bbl securement/stability?

14538104573021976788.jpg

47214023376496772845.jpg

I've never seen anything like that on a 10/22. Seems to me the barrel would have to be in a "perfect position" for the rail screws , for barrel, to line up properly. It could possibly help with accuracy ? or maybe not.
Everything came apart eaisly, and went back together without being in a bind.
It almost has to be from a MFG as opposed to a homebrew, as he's been stricken with MS and would have been unable to produce it. Also, by the looks of the mount, it was done professionally, as there's zero tool marks on the rail. Very well made.

I used to have one of those, might even have the mount laying around somewhere. Worked great. Had a gunsmith drill/tap the barrel. After that, I bedded the mount and it proved to be a good mount and an accurate rifle. I can't remember the manufacturer, Weigand rings a bell, but I'm not positive that's who it was. If it was them, it doesn't show on their website anymore.

At the time my theory was that it locked everything together better than just the V block. I remember contacting them via phone and asking for an identical one but with 10 or 20 MOA built in. They were very nice on the phone but determined it would be a giant pain in the ass and since I was the only dude who had ever asked for one, they accurately advised the supply/demand wasn't going to be worth it.

I'm no pro, but I still think its a good idea if done properly. It clearly didn't stand the test of time though.