• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Where Are We At With LPVO's

Yeah guys like us are a dime a dozen…

What I mean is IF we really get into the numbers patters emerge….small as they may be. If we are a true slave to data.

Spent too long in the game to see people who think feelings are data and poor metrics are valid.

Not saying that’s the case or not. Just why I’m a general cynic and curious as to what the numbers were.
Oh I get it. Sorry for taking it that way. I was unlucky enough to learn 'cqb' or whatever the popular phrase is now on an m16 with a 203 and acog. I STRONGLY believe that's why I can be consistent across the board with optics. Once you clear structures with that, literally anything is easy.

As for patterns, some days, I simply did better with certain optics. Some days didn't matter. But what ALWAYS mattered was the set up leading to the engagment-
Was my angle of approach the best it could be
Was my footwork correct to break the threshold efficiently
Was I able to time my body mechanics to be as smooth as possible without adding extra steps
Was I able to time my movements off the guy in front of me correctly.

The majority of the time I found outliers in the footage we've taken was from one of the above variables. Every once in awhile the optic/rifle combo just jived or didn't with me that day. Some days we are just off.

Oh I get it. Sorry for taking it that way. I was unlucky enough to learn 'cqb' or whatever the popular phrase is now on an m16 with a 203 and acog. I STRONGLY believe that's why I can be consistent across the board with optics. Once you clear structures with that, literally anything is easy.

As for patterns, some days, I simply did better with certain optics. Some days didn't matter. But what ALWAYS mattered was the set up leading to the engagment-
Was my angle of approach the best it could be
Was my footwork correct to break the threshold efficiently
Was I able to time my body mechanics to be as smooth as possible without adding extra steps
Was I able to time my movements off the guy in front of me correctly.

The majority of the time I found outliers in the footage we've taken was from one of the above variables. Every once in awhile the optic/rifle combo just jived or didn't with me that day. Some days we are just off.

Oh, I get that I'm blunt and contentious from all the complete BS out there. Just last month, I had a PRS shooter (who was skilled) braggin on his Staccato and how it got him to "Sub 2s Bills". My man was showing us videos of him pointed in on target with his finger on the trigger, pumping 6 rounds onto a full steel IPSC....(n)

Some years ago, we had to do comprehensive tests to prove that LPVO's would not get one "killed in da streetz" for CQB stuff. We had a Razor HD, Short dot 1.1-4x, Aimpoint Comp M3, and an Eotech. 4 guns/shooters on 3 drills (10x runs on each).

To use the ready-up (25y on A Zone) for example, pretty much everyone was under 1s across the board (as I would hope). Essentially, we proved that there was no critical differences in achieving prescribed standards; however, we were also able to extrapolate that all things being equal, there was a clear heirarchy in terms of the data...even if averages trended only a few hundredths of a second. In an operational sense...it doesn't matter. If I were trying to post my single best time for a million bucks, I'd probably be a little more choosy.

Oh, I get that I'm blunt and contentious from all the complete BS out there. Just last month, I had a PRS shooter (who was skilled) braggin on his Staccato and how it got him to "Sub 2s Bills". My man was showing us videos of him pointed in on target with his finger on the trigger, pumping 6 rounds onto a full steel IPSC....(n)

Some years ago, we had to do comprehensive tests to prove that LPVO's would not get one "killed in da streetz" for CQB stuff. We had a Razor HD, Short dot 1.1-4x, Aimpoint Comp M3, and an Eotech. 4 guns/shooters on 3 drills (10x runs on each).

To use the ready-up (25y on A Zone) for example, pretty much everyone was under 1s across the board (as I would hope). Essentially, we proved that there was no critical differences in achieving prescribed standards; however, we were also able to extrapolate that all things being equal, there was a clear heirarchy in terms of the data...even if averages trended only a few hundredths of a second. In an operational sense...it doesn't matter. If I were trying to post my single best time for a million bucks, I'd probably be a little more choosy.
That last part articulates what I was trying to say very well.

The sb 1.1-4.... man that brings back memories

That last part articulates what I was trying to say very well.

The sb 1.1-4.... man that brings back memories
I sold my last one this past year. Pretty sure that made 17 consecutive years I had one on a gun.

For your viewing pleasure...cause they say you "need" 8x...or more:
w0Ru97F.jpg

6eIZGPz.jpg

I sold my last one this past year. Pretty sure that made 17 consecutive years I had one on a gun.

For your viewing pleasure...cause they say you "need" 8x...or more:
w0Ru97F.jpg

6eIZGPz.jpg
That brings back memories...

@C_Does something I've noticed across the board with lpvo's regarding 'fish-eye'-I think every manufacturer seems to set the best image quality for a specific spot on the diopter.

Both my nx8 samples have had some fisheye around the last 20% of the glass or so, but it wasn't bad distortion. I've had a few people look through mine and say the image was way better but they couldn't see the reticle-it was super blurry (crystal clear to me though) and when I've looked through theirs the fisheye seemed to be far more pronounced. On the flip side, my atacr is better edge to edge but for the life of me, I cannot get 1x unity on it like I can an nx8 but I've seen TONS of other atacr samples (issued) where they had clear reticles and a unified 1x to their eyes, but when I look through it I have a good 1x view but shit reticle. Another example is the razor 1-10-i for the life of me cannot get it to look good through the whole rep range. Either 5-10 is good and on 1x I get a double reticle, or 1-5 are good and 10x is so blurry I my eyes strain. Perhaps someone smarter than me could chime in and explain that.

Can't remember if it was Scott Peterson (or maybe Mark Smith when he had Scott on) but they were talking about how, every optic and LPVO, the WORST it's ever going to look is max power. I think the Razor 1-10 is the biggest culprit of that. Some companies do it better than others...

For me it’s the ability to shoot close and long range seamlessly with good glass and eye relief, do courses and/or competitions, and home defense.

Never owned a S&B but have shot other peoples rifles with them and they check the boxes except the price box lol. Love the CC mode and the super clear glass throughout all magnifications.

And I never owned an LPVO and don’t really want to climb the ladder of buying and selling a bunch of LPVOs just to find one I like.

Here is something that not everybody will mention up front.

There is no "perfect scope" for everything any more than there is the "perfect rifle" for everything or "the perfect shoes" for everything and that applies to LPVOs in a HUGE amount.

Basic LPVO designs generally fall into 2 categories that are kind of not easily compatible.

1. Designed for speed and quick target acquisition at lowest power / widest field of view, even without illumination.
2. Designed for precision target work at the highest power.

Primary Arms is a good example of heavily skewed towards #1
Vortex Razor Gen III is a good example of heavily skewed towards #2

Now there is a 3rd category, of how do you try to make this able to do both via some special tricks or tech or such.
The most common path is trying to be the best of both worlds by making a scope that is hard geared towards #2 BUT has a super bright illuminating dot or center for use as a #1

S&B is a very good example of #3, and they go even further with their dual CC in trying to actually have both options. But they will never be as much of a #1 as a Primary Arms one is. However they will best the Vortex Razor Gen III easily.

Then you start adding in weight, size and such and of course price.

Then you start also looking at other options such as the 1.5x - 15x or the 2 - xx range.

Pick the option for the specific rifle you are putting it on and the specific job and niche that rifle has to fill.
Then get another one for a different rifle.

You aren't going to try to run a pavement race in your mountain hiking boots.
You aren't going to try to hike a mountain in your street running shoes.
But for daily use, you might use neither and instead wear some crossover shoes that do decent for walking and can work on mild rough stuff and are comfortable for all day wear.

Here is something that not everybody will mention up front.

There is no "perfect scope" for everything any more than there is the "perfect rifle" for everything or "the perfect shoes" for everything and that applies to LPVOs in a HUGE amount.

Basic LPVO designs generally fall into 2 categories that are kind of not easily compatible.

1. Designed for speed and quick target acquisition at lowest power / widest field of view, even without illumination.
2. Designed for precision target work at the highest power.

Primary Arms is a good example of heavily skewed towards #1
Vortex Razor Gen III is a good example of heavily skewed towards #2

Now there is a 3rd category, of how do you try to make this able to do both via some special tricks or tech or such.
The most common path is trying to be the best of both worlds by making a scope that is hard geared towards #2 BUT has a super bright illuminating dot or center for use as a #1

S&B is a very good example of #3, and they go even further with their dual CC in trying to actually have both options. But they will never be as much of a #1 as a Primary Arms one is. However they will best the Vortex Razor Gen III easily.

Then you start adding in weight, size and such and of course price.

Then you start also looking at other options such as the 1.5x - 15x or the 2 - xx range.

Pick the option for the specific rifle you are putting it on and the specific job and niche that rifle has to fill.
Then get another one for a different rifle.

You aren't going to try to run a pavement race in your mountain hiking boots.
You aren't going to try to hike a mountain in your street running shoes.
But for daily use, you might use neither and instead wear some crossover shoes that do decent for walking and can work on mild rough stuff and are comfortable for all day wear.
See, I like that “third” category. That’s why I originally commented about the 1-8 exos because it seems to go for less than half the street price of a Short dot and because that has the CC setting and it’s very nice glass up towards the max magnification. Yeah, the reticle choices aren’t ideal but I can either train through it or cough up the dough to send it out to S&B to get it changed.