• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes which aimpoint do you think best for cqb?

Re: which aimpoint do you think best for cqb?

The aimpoint / eotech is sort of a preference thing. They are roughly the same idea executed differently. For me the biggest differences came down to profile, weight and battery life. But since you likely won't be using this on a patrol rifle just as long as you get a legit version of either you will be solid. I prefer the Aimpoint with cantilever mount just because that's what I am used to and it frees up real estate behind the optic for other things.

I would say any Aimpoint M2 and above is good to go. Some people prefer the 2 MOA vs the 4 MOA. For CQB, etc, you can dial up brightness of the 2 MOA to get a bigger dot.
Your application will also drive the selection. For me, a civilian, with no night vision, I am happy with C3 if I want a 30mm and R1/H1 if I want a micro. I also see no need for cantielever mounts for my applications.

I have owned Eotechs and several versions of Aimponts

Personally, I like the T1 the best

Try to hook up with some buddies and run different ones and see what works best for you

for example, some people think the T1 has too small of a tube and may be hard to pick up as fast as the larger ones or an Eotech

I have ran all 3 back to back shooting multiple targes on the move and find I don't have that issue, that when I am actualy tryng to shoot fast I don't find myself looking through it like a scope, all I see is a dot floating out there and the housing disappears

best thing to do really is to try to spend some time with each and see what works for you

If you have an astigmatism, forget the Eoblurryblob. The T-1 micro is the lightest, fastest red dot out there. I have 5 on different rifles they have all been overly abused and still keep running. Not to mention batteries last for years, not days like the Eotech.

Bill

Aimpoint CompM4 (M68/CCO). Compare the specs.

DSCN0244b.jpg

I prefer the Aimpoint CompM4 over all red dot optics. I have a friend who owns an EoTech and I'm just not a fan. The outer circle is distracting to me, the optic seems just too bulky, and battery life isn't as efficient. I have the 2moa model and I love it. The compm4 runs on 1 AA battery and has a constant on life of up to 5-8 years! They are even sufficient sights for 300-500 meters if need be. I run one on my Stag Model 2 with the stock mount and the riser. Even though the stock mount has a sort of bulky knob I love the torq setting it has. Will always only let you tighten it up to a certain point which keeps you from over tightening and keeps it consistent in order to keep perfect zero.

On a side note you have to be careful of "Replica" optics. There are a couple of stand out factors. 1. They will have a spoofed serial number such as 1370993. 2. The front lens will be clear instead of the Ruby Red color. 3. The brightness knob will not have a white tic mark on it and it will continue to spin, while the real compm4 will stop on the 16th setting. 4.If it is a red dot/green dot its fake. The NV settings on the Compm4 will only show a dot through NV.
Hope This helped

I've owned Acog, Eotech, Aimpoints, and may other red dots as well. If I were to buy a dot for CQB today it would be Aimpoint CompM4 for many of the reasons already listed.

Also, the great thing about its efficiency is that you can just leave it on all the time so it's always ready for a fight. Just replace the battery every 5 years or so. "Always on and ready to go" used to be the sole realm of the tritium sights like the Acog.

Of course the Acog illumination will continue to work after an EMP. I don't know if you are paranoid enough to worry about stuff like that.
smile.gif

I like the Comp M4 or M4s. I can dial the dot intensity and size to my liking. I have the Aimpoint 3x magnifier on an Aimpoint twist mount sitting behind one of these M4 optics. I just picked up an Aimpoint PRO and have yet to install it on a rifle. The battery life in the M4 series is just outstanding.

I've aways preferred eotech but became used to the aimpoint from the army. I prefer m4 but stuck with a m2 now

Micro T1 in whatever mount you want (I like my Larue). I have used several Aimpoints and like the T1 better than the rest. The small size and light weight is awesome. I had an M4S for a while and did not like it at all. I thought I would love it but I ended up sending it back.

Battery life on the Aimpoints, especially the T1, cannot be beat. Eotech battery life,has gotten better, but still pales in comparison to the Aimpoints.

I have owned and sold an Eotech. I have another one only because I won it at a competition, but will likely be selling it as it is still BNIB and I have no desire to use it. One of my work rifles wears an Eotech, but I don't get to pick what I am issued (yet). Some people love them, but Eotech is not for me.

I had 2 M4s and a M3. As I have gotten older I have switched to 1-4x. I now have a Short Dot and 2 TR24Gs.

If you have any sort of astigmatism a red dot will look more like a bunch of grapes and just get worse as you increase the brightness.

Several guys in my old department are using the Vortex SPARC and really like them. They offer a lot for the money.

I trust the Aimpoint the most
my T1 has had the snot beat out of it on a 44 mag that kills cheap ones.. been used on numerous ARs, hunting, beat up, competitions, etc.. same battery

I also lost it last summer, it spent 3 months _buried_ at our hunting lease before we found it with a metal detector

still running, washed it off, put it on and went shooting, still dead on and working perfect.

Aimpoint liked my testemonial and put it in their 2012 catalog
I got nothing in compensation, just really like good products

Another vote for the Aimpoint Micro. Mine was an R1 that I painted black. I've used it for quite a few carbine matches and it's rock solid.

I wish I had purchased more of them at that $299 closeout price last year.

Big vote up for the Aimpoint micro. Unless you plan on using or getting night vision, I would go with the H1 and by doing so will save you over a hundred bucks to put toward a good high co-witness mount by any of the top manufacturers out there. I have one and really like it.

Honestly, since you already have an ACOG, I recommend the ACOG TA44 series. I had the chance to look through one this past week and I was very....very impressed by it. I have used ACOG's, EOTech's, and Aimpoints, and while Aimpoints are usually my recommendation, this little sight made me change my mind. They are very small, and as you already know about ACOG's it's not like looking through a tube. I think you will be extremely satisfied with one.

For CQB? Keep the ACOG, and just poke them with the muzzle and pull the trigger
grin.gif

It's like asking whether blondes or redheads are better... It's personal preference. Both are great, tough, dependable, with solid track records.

Have used both aimpoint and eotech. Currently using a compM4 and I like it well enough. I honestly don't have a preference for either, they both work well enough for me. I do like the battery life in the aimpoint way better.

I have both ACOG's EoTech's and Aim Points. I have switched the NightForce 1-4x24 NXS with the FC 2 reticle and wish I had done it a long time ago.

I started out with an EoTech 552 on my patrol rifle. Never experienced any problems with it despite hard use. However, I did not like the fact I needed to turn it on as well as the short (compared to Aimpoint) battery life. Good sight system.

I next ran a Comp M4s with LaRue mount, again with no problems. It is build well and stood up to sustained shooting. I like the simplicity of the red dot and the fact that I can leave it on indefinitely. It's a little heavy, compared to the T-1. Excellent sight system.

I finally settled on the Aimpoint T-1 on a LaRue mount. It is lighter which is a plus for me. I also like the small housing as I can mount the sight forward on the rail so that the dot seems to "float" atop my barrel. I change my batteries once a year and have had no problems with it. Superlative sight system.

This works for me. YMMV. As has been sugggested, try to shoot each and see what works for you.

Good luck.

Joe

I like eotechs sight picture and reticle but aimpoints reliability. reliability is more important for me so aimpoint. FYI aimpoints warranty is awesome.