Hunting & Fishing Which bipod for hunting?

rcdinaz

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2011
az
I was wondering what options there are for a hunting bipod? I have a cladwell and an old B-square, the Caldwell is the short model 6-9" which has proven too short even for prone in a lot of hunting situations and the B-square is to flimsy for anything but a sporter weight.

looked at Atlas but again looks too short?

Is Harris the only real option for +12"?

Re: Which bipod for hunting?

Are you looking for a bipod to shoot prone, sitting, etc?

For hunting I prefer the harris 9-13" and carry lightweight shooting sticks. I used a Atlas bipod hunting this year and prefer the harris for hunting and Atlas for the range. The harris is quicker and easier to get into position.

I just bought a Harris 25C (Swivel), which extends from 13.5-27". It'll be good for getting above the WY grass/sage.

Seems I end up in sitting postion most often so I am looking at the same 25C. I have found thta most of the time it is very dificult to find a good prone position. The plants in the desert aren't tall but at low levels they sure do block out a view. I do carry a PRS for the bipod and either shooting sticks or a bog-pod but sometimes it is takes too long to dig stuff out of the pack or change the adapters.

I'll just use the shorty for range work and punching paper.

thanks for the feedback!

I would go with a Harris, they come in different lengths and features, so there should be one that will fit your needs. I think shooters-ridge has some cheaper comparable bipods, but I would still stick with Harris. Just don't get a bipod that attaches to the barrel, it screws with the harmonics of the barrel.

Schwartz

Also a big fan of the 25C. I have 6x9s on a lot of my rifles which are great if your shooting targets or just happen to be in the perfect spot. The Harris 25C I have has turned into a bit of a nomad I find myself switching it on to different rifle quite often. And I never go varmint hinting without it. 13 inches is akwardly tall for the minimal height but you can make it work for prone of need be. A lot of my favorite calling location are on top of ridges and I have to go prone to keep from silouhheting. But at a downhill angle I can almost always find a spot to tuck in behind it in my belly. It has just taught me to be creative with my shootin positions. I had it on a 308 sps this deer season and set up sprawled over a small fallen tree trunk under my chest and it worked out very well. The doe might not agree but it is for sure a very versatile bipod for hunting. I am only 5'8" and I can get bet comfortable in a seated position shooting with a good amount of upwards travel still available

check out this cool shooting system I just found. Ordered one up for my kids. Not a bipod, but pretty cool I think for shooting.

triclawps.com

you get what you pay for. I am a huge fan of harris swivel bipods, as I grew up with them. However, I am seeing my gg&g and my lra bipod go to the field more and more. I am NOT suggesting you go out and buy a piece that's abnormally expensive..... however. Don't skimp. I would suggest a good range harris with notched legs as they are more field expedient than the new (fadish) friction adjustable legs. Pod claws are also a great addition depending on where you shoot. jmo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcdinaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is Harris the only real option for +12"? </div></div>

Yes..the swivel