• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Why don't you see more side charging handle setups

Re: Why don't you see more side charging handle setups

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigjohnintexas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where the hell did the OP mention that he wanted opinions about gas-piston uppers. Read the f'ing title and don't make everyone read through this entire thread picking out info about side charging handles from the damn never ending debate about gas piston blah blah blah blah...

As far as the side charger goes, I have one being built right now. It is a right side charger and is a billet square walled Alexander Arms upper. This rifle will only be a competition rifle so I thought I'd try it out. My problem with the left side charging handle in a duty rifle is much the same as the extended "tactical" latches people put on their traditional charging handles. I have seen more than once those extended latches catch on body gear or LBVs just enough to take the bolt out of battery and cause a malfunction. Anything on the left side of the rifle that is related to the movement or placement of the carrier can cause this if you sling your rifle across your body. It really depends on what you plan on doing with the rifle as to whether or not a charging handle should even be considered. This might be one of the reasons you don't see more of them, but who knows.

I have seen and handled a JP upper with the left side charging handle and I was very impressed, but for duty I like the KISS principle. </div></div>

I have the ASA non-reciprocating on one rifle,never had a FTF but would not trust it in a SHTF situation,very well made though.
My other is a Fulton with the handle on the bolt carrier which can also act as a FA if need be,does not stick out much at all,have used this one for 5+ yrs no problems.

I think the cost of a side charger/modified BC is as a big reason you don't see too many of them compared to a standard A4 upper.

This is the only rifle (to my knowledge) which features a non-reciprocating side-charging handle as well as a standard one. Also, this billet upper is cross-compatible with any standard lower receiver on the market.

PSC-11

Current production lead time is 6-8 weeks.

OP - hope this helps.

- BORG

Possibly stupid question: what not put a Young side charge BCG on a standard upper? I am about to buy a 300WTF that doesn't cycle the rounds that the gun shoots great. Making it a bolt gun on subsonic solves many problems and I see little downside. When it is run super, I can remove the bolt handle and run it as a standard bolt, charing handle and all.

Am considering the YM side charge BCG and running it on a Noveske 300. What downside am I missing?

As for a side cut on an AR, not interested.

Want to see the new kid on the block with SC handle? Check out FDDefense! Booth 6108 next... next week at the Shot Show. We are in the process of creating the finest, most reliable Semi 338 LM, our 308 is the shizzle so keep us in mind and stop by to say hello.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It seems for most that have an AR, there is no advantage of a SC because they're not using big glass on top. They have an Aimpoint or EOTech or ACOG or (insert generic brand for all of those here). When you put a full length scope, it becomes apparent very quickly what the advantages of a SC are (name not tearing up your knuckles).

I don't have any SC ARs, but plan to make all of my future ARs with SC handles.</div></div>

I agree here, running any full length optic like a MK4, SN-3, NF F1, etc. it becomes apparent that SC would be of great use.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But if I ever had to engage in some form of battle, I would want a piston driven system. Dunk it in water, sand, mud, or what have you, and she'll keep firing. Try that with a DI and you'll see quickly that any perceived downsides to a piston driven AR are moot.</div></div>

I disagree here. I'm not saying the piston design is bad, but i dislike the added weight, the added expense, the minimal decrease in accuracy, for a gun that provides the same function as a properly lubed DI weapon. By all means people like what they like. Piston has it's place when being run suppressed. But i wouldn't hesitate to trust my BCM in those conditions.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/89HEefl1KI4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/89HEefl1KI4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGonz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Want to see the new kid on the block with SC handle? Check out FDDefense! Booth 6108 next... next week at the Shot Show. We are in the process of creating the finest, most reliable Semi 338 LM, our 308 is the shizzle so keep us in mind and stop by to say hello.</div></div>

Clearly, you're a vendor and you have no business advertising here until you've paid your dues like the other vendors have.

I'm not a vender, but my friend is the owner of FD Defense and he hooked me up with a free shot show trip so I justed wanted to let everyone know that I'll ne there. I shot his rifles the other day and I got .75" groups with hornady factory 168s so I know its a great rifle. So if I can shoot those groups, and I'm by far not as talented as yall here, then I know its capable of some pretty impressive stuff. Sorry if this isn't allowed, I won't be posting this anymore .

I like the concept of the SC upper for a bench gun. In fact, I am working on getting one built...eventually. I really want to try it out, and decided that it would best serve me on a bench gun rather than a fighting gun, especially with the reciprocating handle on the LARS Grizzly upper I want to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because no one read that there cool yet.. </div></div>

Ding ding! Winner!

FD Defense 308 with 17 inch barrel shot by DON HARDY pistol champ

IMG_1901.jpg

DSC01592.jpg

DSC01593.jpg

I know that its not a 30 round group, but just wanted to get this out here asap, busy at the shot show 6108. will be posting more when we get back home

Thats an impressive group! I have two ASA uppers in 5.56 and find them strange but cool. I do agree that is a whole lot more real estate for crap to get in through. I guess it is up to personal preference and how the design is executed. I never shoot the ASA's and always run my regular guns. However I am leaning towards pistons because of the massive amount of gas the guns direct back at the shooter. It is just simply hard to break away from what I've known for so long. From my experiences bolt carriers are no easy thing to drill and tap, those suckers are HARD!

Ogreshooter in my mind says it all. Its compairable to screwing a que ball to your cars wheel. That 30 pound tire/wheel balances to within a quarter ounce. Once that que ball is there it will be the bearing overheating until the wheel hub comes off. Not the visible wheel breaking. Its what you dont see that'll kill ya. Stoner was no idiot. His new design was going to be hard enough to pass. I'm sure in the initial testing that chargeing handle came into question. It wasn't changed. I'm sure for a good reason...

Regatoni, I have a LAR side charger and the BCG looks the same, but I cant use a regular charging handle in it. It has a screw in plug that fills the hole at the back of the upper receiver. It is made to be a side charger only. You can mill a regular upper for a side charger and use eather one. Alaxander Arms is made this way I do believe. Not sure about the others!

I agree with the posts mentioning the value of an SC with bigger optics.

With more hunters switching to black guns (as did I), you are likely to see side chargers become more popular.

I'm looking forward to seeing advancements in this area.

I have a JP SCR 11 it is a side ar type rifle upper for competition. Here is a pic
a3215a09.jpg

And here is a close up of the charging handle. The paddle folds out and you pull back. They also make an upper with a traditional charging handle and the side charge.
93dcb6fd.jpg

I'm guessing that most of the commenters here who don't see the "need" for a side charger on an AR platform are right handed. Left handed people and those with larger optics on their rifles will immediately see the advantage.

That being said, I never took the plunge. My issued gun was identical to the one's carried by my co-workers (right handers). I figured once I was building one for myself, and didn't have to worry about learning multiple platforms, I might explore the side charging options. For now, I'll just continue to live in the right handers world....