• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sidearms & Scatterguns Why I will never buy another kimber

Re: Why I will never buy another kimber

My Kimber 1911 had a plastic mainspring housing. It broke when I dropped the gun. Kimber was an ass about replacing it with metal. They wanted to charge full price and make me pay shipping to punish me for not taking another free plastic housing instead. The guy was such an ass on the phone I will never buy another Kimber.

My Kimber cost breakdown:

$800 Series II TLE
$120 (Reliability Job) Crappy extractor, it failed to extract every third round after I bought it brand new.
$20 Metal mainspring housing replacing crap part.
$200 Robar refinsh after the crappy Kimber bluing rusted the slide shut!
$120 New Trijicon sights and fitting because the crappy Kimber night sights worked so loose they slid around in the dovetail, up to a half inch in one shot!

Kimbers are so expensive after your initial investment you are better off starting with a quality Springfield, Les Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk or other decent custom shop 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> After 2k rounds of mid to full power 10mm loads, my STII hasn't broken yet.</div></div>

If 2K is considered a high round count, odds are you'll never have a problem. If you've had the gun for a month or so, check back in 5 months. The longest I've gone without a MIM failure was about 12K. I don't consider that bad at all.

I don't understand why there are so many complants about Kimbers yea there a Production gun, and built the same way many others Production guns are in a assembly line NOT hand fitted the price you paid for it tells you that. If you realy wanted a semi production gun you could have run straight over to Les Baer and paid $2000.oo plus and have to brake it in with ammunition they recommend same as a Wilson its fitted that tight. I must have just been luck I've never had to send my Kimber back never had a problem If I have a fail to eject the gun telling me (CLEAN ME) after that its running good again . I would like to replace those MIM parts but they refuse to break and give me a reason too. I did change out the main spring housing only because I read it was plastic and I wanted a mag well shut any way. As far as the main spring housing breaking when you droped the gun I'd be glad my gun didn't hit the end of the barrel first, or in a store full of people that would have been alot worse. The bootom line is the $$$ that why Kimber has been a good choice. The true story or post should be that (Because of Kimber) other 1911 producers have had to give you more for your dollar to get your business and that's NO LIE

After 8kish rounds through my Kimber it is still running good. I replaced the plastic MSH with an S&A one piece magwell, replaced the recoil spring ever 2k and MS every 4k and it has ran like a top. I am still waiting for the MIM Lightning to strike me.

Currently building up my own 1911 from parts though.

Almost all of the problems I've had with my Kimber Pro Carry II were related to mods or magazines. I've sent it back to the factory once and they tuned the extractor, it was ejecting brass straight up and landing on top of my head. Other than the cost of shipping it to them, there was no cost to me.

After six years now, I still love my Kimber and I'll probably never sell it. More likely, I'll pick up a steel frame full size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The true story or post should be that (Because of Kimber) other 1911 producers have had to give you more for your dollar to get your business and that's NO LIE</div></div>

And most do.

I own and sometimes carry a Kimber ultra compact CDP II .45 and the plastic (ahem, "comPOSite") mainspring housing has always bothered me but it doesn't affect functioning at all.

I did, however, send the gun BACK for a trigger job. Lots of uptake, crunchy/slow break and too much overtravel and it was worse when it came back. I bought a trigger honing jig and some stones and it's the crispest 1911 trigger I've ever shot.

I've owned several dozen 1911s and won't buy another Kimber. For close to a grand that trigger should be slicker then a 17 year old cheerleader at a drive-in movie.

Let me tell you about my joys with Kimber...

Tactical Custom II with external extractor purchased new in 2004. Gun had a damaged disconnector straight from the factory. Customer service was so bad that I opted to have a gunsmith buddy swap it out for me instead.
Gun ran good, but was very finnicky with ammo. Many kinds of factory ammo would stovepipe. I had to crimp down factory ammo on my press to make it work, but make sure that the crimp was not so much that pressure was going up dramatically.

As time went on, this got worse. The gun sat for a couple years while I did Army stuff. When I picked it up again, it was stove-piping 1:2 rounds. I replaced the springs. Nothing changed.
Called Kimber, and CS rep told me that they won't discuss things over the phone and that I had to send it in. I asked questions, and they really gave vague answers and would not be specific. Basically, they said it was probably the ammo and maybe also I needed to replace the springs due to regular wear. I wanted to send it in, and the conversation eventually turned into me chewing the guy out because I wanted to carry the gun on duty for special assignments and couldn't because it was so unreliable. I told him it was the gun that was jacked up, but he was adamant that a Kimber is infallible and it was my fault (also commonly called "the Glock response"). They offered to look at it and work on it, but that it would be very expensive. I told them to fuck off. This was all over the course of several months.

During this time, I ordered a Kimber 8400 Advanced Tactical. Before that, I called them and talked to them and was not terribly happy with the info I got.

Me: Do you have plans to offer a DBM option in the future?
Kimber: We have thought about it, but have no immediate plans to. It's not really needed.

Me: Can you cut the barrel down to 18" or 20" and thread the barrel for a muzzle break?
K: NO.

Me: Why not?
K: Our barrels are built a certain way and the rifles are assembled a certain way. We don't do custom options like that.

Me: There are accounts on the internet about inconsistent grouping and accuracy with your rifles. Much of it pertaining to poor bedding. Is this an issue?
K: We've never had a problem with our bedding. I know what you're referring to, and it's a lie.

Me: What's the lead time for a build?
K: About 6-8 weeks to get one shipped to you.

I order anyways, because LE pricing is ridiculously inexpensive for the rifle you're getting. At this time, I was unaware of the Remington 700P USR as an alternative package. Anyways, weeks upon weeks go by and I hear nothing. It's up to 6 weeks and I hear nothing for status. I had the LE store I ordered it from call them and they had no updates. So, I called to find out if the rifle was being built. Turns out that they lost the order and it was never queued for production. So I "re-order" through my dealer and begin to wait. 8 weeks later I have gotten no info from my dealer, and they're good about giving updates, so I contact Kimber direct again, and they say, "we just put your build queue in and it should get built in the next week or two. It should be ready to ship in about 2-4 weeks."
WHAT!?!? How did 6-8 weeks turn into 10-12 weeks? You already lost my order once, why was this rifle not front-loaded?
They had no response. So I told them to cancel the order and that I wanted nothing to do with their business. The guy just said nonchalantly "ok". Not a care in the world that I was not going to buy an expensive product from them.

Sold my Tactical Custom II the next week.

Kimber sure is a unique company. While Springfield Armory fields Rob Leatham to pimp their products, and they and STI are big sponsors of events, Kimber does nothing other than buy ads in Front Sight. I'm not sure what is going on over at Kimber, but I wish they'd get their act together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The true story or post should be that (Because of Kimber) other 1911 producers have had to give you more for your dollar to get your business and that's NO LIE</div></div>

And most do. </div></div>

Most do because Kimber upped the ante in the '90s by offering you more 1911 for $800-1000 than you can get for $1500 anywhere today.

It's too bad those days are gone, but in their place, we got a half dozen other manufacturers that make decent 1911s with some of the features we all want.

We have only Kimber to thank for that.

Too bad Kimber didn't keep up (in terms of quality). They make a decent looking gun and I've never fired one that didn't deliver above average accuracy, but the Go has to exceed the Show.

I bought a procarry about 10 years ago. The clips that came with the gun were crap, they kept digging into the aluminum feed ramp and gouging it. I switched to Wilson SS 8 rounders and problem solved. Then there was the issue with the extractor "clocking". The spent cases would go everywhere and every other clip one would thump me HARD right on the middle of my forehead. Pretty freaking embarrassing. I installed an oversized firing pin retainer that I fitted myself and that made the situation much better. It's a great shooter now with some other work that I've done to it and would bet my ass on it now if I had to. I remember buying a spanish Llama in 45 ACP that was a bad 1911 copy about 10 years before the Kimber. I paid about 1/2 what the Kimber cost me and the darned thing never gave me any trouble... I sold the Llama to a buddy and even made money on the deal... I am awaiting the arrival of the new Ruger 1911's
grin.gif
. I saw a guy at the range with one and its a beauty. I think I'll get me one...
cool.gif

After reading reports like this ,When I made the decision to purchase a 1911 style 45 acp I went with colt ZERO problems ever to this day no problems all sorts of after market hop up's available and holsters (it's like glock everyone sells parts) customer service I have never had to call anyone at colt for anything EVER!

In the long run you get what you pay for period.

1) The guy who taught me how to wrench on a 1911 used to work for Bass Pro Shops in Destin Florida, as their gunsmith, his wife was the department manager for the firearms department his experiences were:

The Rifles started out .308 only and were the shit, they went to great lengths to make sure everything was perfect. After they made their name...... quality went to shit.

He and his buddy ordered 1 each, consecutive serial number, same model, same inspector. 1 shot nice tiny groups, the other one .... safest place to be was in front of it.

HE tried to order parts from Kimber, they REFUSED to sell to a licensed gunsmith working in a national chain that sells buttloads of their products...

2) Another buddy came to me, he had taken 3 pistols to his CC class that failed to operate with mil-spec ball ammo...

One was a 4509 S&W, I polished the chamber, hood, and feed ramp and it started running, hollopoints, hard cast swcs, pretty much anything I could find....

The kimbers on the other hand were two different models, one was a commander type with reverse bushing and the other one was full sized.

Beautiful, the feed ramp looked like a mirror, every part fit like a champ, the mag well was slick as glass and mags just plain flew out of it.

Turned out the problem on both was.... a large nick taken out of the opening of the chamber at about 9 or 10 o'clock large enough for me to get my thumb nail into it, about enough to open a small pocket knife for comparison.

It was easily visible just by pulling the slide back adn flat out would not feed! How in the heck did this get past QC? Don't they test fire these?

I have a local shops that is a Kimber dealer their take on it is "that is why people should buy guns from dealers with a gunsmith on duty"

Really they feel OK with selling a POS from a POS company because they have a frigging Gunsmith there who is 3 years later still catching up from hurricane Katrina? And they want their customers to be re-assured because he will fix their Kimber POS's when they fail right out of the box? When? 6 months down the road?

They are still charging Obama prices on their stuff and say it is because they have overhead and an indoor range. They are comfortable selling basic Rock Islands for almost $600 and people are buying them! Mosin Nagants are $175.00 or so....

OOps, sorry for the rant, went from MFG to Retailer, But I do think an honest, reputable dealer should not carry something he flat out knows is a POS!

***Has anyone had any of the below problems with Kimber?

Yep, I used to fix them all the time. Gen 1's are the ones to get. 2+ had issues, especially if you had an external extractor. Bad chambers, bad ramps and throats, poorly fit bushing.

The guy I used to work for went to work for them several years back. He found the problem with those external extractors, pivot point in the wrong location as was the shape of the extractor. Many were so bad that If you sent in a gun, they replaced the slide.

BTW, if you want your Kimber running, PM me and I'll give you the contact info for the guy that used to work there. They pissed him off so much he left but I'm sure he'll work on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 224Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Kimber 1911 had a plastic mainspring housing. It broke when I dropped the gun. Kimber was an ass about replacing it with metal. They wanted to charge full price and make me pay shipping to punish me for not taking another free plastic housing instead. The guy was such an ass on the phone I will never buy another Kimber.
</div></div>

First thing I did when my Kimber got here was to replace the plastic mainspring housing with a Wilson Combat metal one.

Flawless opoeration although I did have to do some filing on it to get it to fit - destructions said I might have to (and my smith).

I have Wilson Combat mags and have never had any trouble with my kimber - Love that pistol!!