Will suppressor cover sliding forward act as crown or mess with groups?

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hey all,

I remember a thread not too long ago where a guy zeroed at 100 was impacting high at 200 without even touching turrets. I think this was the thread Frank mentioned a suppressor cover could act as a crown. Or maybe it was a different thread, but I remember this being mentioned.

I've started load development recently and I'll adjust my cover back on as it should be, covering the entire suppressor. However, a few rounds into a group, the damn thing has slid forward. Now it's got me wondering if that is skewing my results. I should probably buy one of those covers that comes down all the way to the barrel and won't slide off.

Anyone care to share any stories on this particular topic?

Thanks,

Serg

Its pretty normal for covers to walk some. I tie mine off at the barrel end. Never experienced them getting so far forward they affected shots. At that point the cover would be getting shredded from blast pressure. I could see it happening on suppressors with brakes or tune-able holes but not on a sealed unit. Unless it was an abnormal cover that was substantively heavy, I just don't see that being something greater than a ton of other factors affecting shot placement or repeatability.

Yes.

If the suppressor cover goes beyond the aperture of the suppressor, it can influence the projectiles flight. I've personally noticed changes down range on target when a suppressor cover has slipped enough to go over the aperture of the suppressor. I did not document the specific changes that occurred, so I can't specifically tell you how much groups changed and in what direction from POA, but it did change my groups.

One of my biggest gripes with current suppressor wraps on the market is that they either slip, or they are designed to stay on so well that they are a pain to get back on the suppressor after you slip it back to let the suppressor cool. I'm so close to just making my own suppressor wraps, and I have a couple of cool ideas on how to make give them retention but also make them incredibly user friendly to install and remove. My current suppressor wraps/covers drive me nuts.

Hey all,

I remember a thread not too long ago where a guy zeroed at 100 was impacting high at 200 without even touching turrets. I think this was the thread Frank mentioned a suppressor cover could act as a crown. Or maybe it was a different thread, but I remember this being mentioned.

I've started load development recently and I'll adjust my cover back on as it should be, covering the entire suppressor. However, a few rounds into a group, the damn thing has slid forward. Now it's got me wondering if that is skewing my results. I should probably buy one of those covers that comes down all the way to the barrel and won't slide off.

Anyone care to share any stories on this particular topic?

Thanks,

Serg
    I've found that with covers with sticky interiors that even though I can't move the sucker by hand no matter how I try, if I don't tighten the lanyard at the back it will slide forward. Tightening the lanyard is key with the ones I have (Rifles Only and Can Chaps)

I'm currently using the Can Chaps cover and I do like it a good bit. And the inside material is definitely sticky. But dang, if I don't tighten the lanyard on the back side of the Area 419 Universal Adapters that I use, it will slip forward a good bit.

As for it impacting precision...dunno.

Reactions: kthomas
    Don't they sell some that wrap around the base of the can by where it mounts and prohibits it from sliding? I gotta look them up now and buy one.

Reactions: stello1001
    After looking around, I found it. The one I had in mind that I had seen at a match was an Armageddon gear. I had not heard of this one you posted. I'll check it out.

The precision underground high heat cover has a kevlar string that tightens to the barrel preventing slipping forward. It’s pretty fast to undo and get on/off. Mirage mitigation is decent, unless the can is hot as balls then I’m not sure anything is going to be stellar.

I'll look into this one as well. Seems that's a feature that should be standard on all suppressor covers.

Reactions: lash
    After looking around, I found it. The one I had in mind that I had seen at a match was an Armageddon gear. I had not heard of this one you posted. I'll check it out.
    First I’ll say that I have not tried every can cover out there or even close. But I do use amageddon gear suppressor covers and have had zero issues with it sliding forward, yet I can easily slide it backwards onto the barrel to cool off the can.

I have one that I bought back in 2015-16 that’s still in use today. Matches and everything. I only use them on bolts and not semis.

The precision underground one is built the same way and I would use them too with no problem.

Reactions: Texascbr and LR1845
    So the other thing with scope chaps is that if you provide them the fabric, they'll make you a scope cover of your fabric choice!

(You need to use the type of material they tell you to provide, but they'll do it!)

I have yet to find a cover that will not move under any circumstances.

There is one that doesn’t move. It’s made by Modtac.

https://modtac.us/product/prss/
    https://modtac.us/product/prss-xl/

My prev posts on it:

EDAEF0E4-1C63-44C5-8CD4-BAB3BC3F2C64.jpeg

This is mine, the old version. It won’t move unless you drop the rifle on the muzzle (a guess) or try to spin off the can while it’s attached (not a guess; it spins a tiny bit and I stopped). The can is direct thread.

Last edited:
    I love my scope chaps suppressor covers. Have tried a handful of others. It doesn't melt and it doesn't move. Even without a tie off. Burn proof gear one is great but it is a pain to take on and off. For a guy like me who is still using a magneto speed, I like that feature.

Reactions: K80/6.5

My prev posts on it:

View attachment 8495971
    This is mine, the old version. It won’t move unless you drop the rifle on the muzzle (a guess) or try to spin off the can while it’s attached (not a guess; it spins a tiny bit and I stopped). The can is direct thread.
    I have the older version on my AEM5. I’m not hot on attaching something via the barrel. Does it act like a tuner too because it costs as much as a Chad tuner brake 😂

Also here is the link. It's cheap.

I have two and would buy another if needed.

Reactions: K80/6.5
    I have the older version on my AEM5. I’m not hot on attaching something via the barrel. Does it act like a tuner too because it costs as much as a Chad tuner brake 😂
    Yeah, I’m not so hot on that idea either, that’s why I haven’t gone that route. Plus the cost…I move my suppressors around and that could get obscenely expensive and not sure if they even sell just the clamp on bit.

I could foresee a future in which there is an open standard for suppressor covers…imagine every suppressor having an integrated camera lens bayonet mount attached at the back. Not clamp on. Works just like the new Modtac PRSS.

Maybe that’s possible now with HUB mounts. Get on it @kthomas ! Give me 5% ongoing to infinity for the patent lol.

• Haha
    Reactions: lash and kthomas

My prev posts on it:

View attachment 8495971
    I am digging that range! Where that be?

I would do a scope chap over a Armageddon personally. I have ran just about every cover out there
    Agreed. I recently fried one well under their firing schedule which the print out and include with the suppressor. That same verbiage is not on their site. Still, mine pretty much melted and sent up giant smoke signals with less than 120 rounds. I emailed Armageddon twice and never got a response. From my experience, they don't stand behind their product. Not only did the nylon portions turn to liquid glue and give me cancer, the entire cover is crispy. the cover itself doesn't look that bad in the photo below but the inside is like rice paper.

On top of that they look like puffy tacos.
    IMG_6092.jpg

• Wow
    I love my scope chaps suppressor covers. Have tried a handful of others. It doesn't melt and it doesn't move. Even without a tie off. Burn proof gear one is great but it is a pain to take on and off. For a guy like me who is still using a magneto speed, I like that feature.
    Wow, without tightening the lanyard at the back, my Can Chap definitely will slide forward under recoil and this is with just 6.5 CM.

Tighten the lanyard, it won’t budge.

My armeggedon gear cover comes slightly tight over the can at the attachment side and never really slips. Every other brand I have drives me nuts. They all walk off the end ridiculously quick and I hate them all.

My armeggedon gear cover comes slightly tight over the can at the attachment side and never really slips. Every other brand I have drives me nuts. They all walk off the end ridiculously quick and I hate them all.
    I’ve not been terribly impressed with mirage attenuation performance in the “regular” fabric AG covers. Haven’t tried the extreme high temp though.

I just got 2 can chaps and they looks cool and fit great, but haven't shot them yet. All the others but 2 are Precision Underground and they stay on pretty well with the lanyard set up they have. The PU ones do pretty good for mirage until it gets really hot, then it starts to show. Definitely the PU are the best I've actually shot out of a handful of the popular ones.

After I shoot the scope chap ones, I will decide on replacing the the 2 with CanChaps or more P/U covers.

Yes, a cover having slid forward will mess up groups. It will also destroy however much gets out there of it.

I just got 2 can chaps and they looks cool and fit great, but haven't shot them yet. All the others but 2 are Precision Underground and they stay on pretty well with the lanyard set up they have. The PU ones do pretty good for mirage until it gets really hot, then it starts to show. Definitely the PU are the best I've actually shot out of a handful of the popular ones.

After I shoot the scope chap ones, I will decide on replacing the the 2 with CanChaps or more P/U covers.

Yes, a cover having slid forward will mess up groups. It will also destroy however much gets out there of it.
    At some point it’s just physics and science. The materials available can only mitigate mirage so much on a hot summer day with no breeze. It seems some scopes definitely help as well but I don’t want to open that can of worms 🤣

At some point it’s just physics and science. The materials available can only mitigate mirage so much on a hot summer day with no breeze. It seems some scopes definitely help as well but I don’t want to open that can of worms 🤣
    Yeah that's right, there's only so much heat any of them can hold.

Yes.

If the suppressor cover goes beyond the aperture of the suppressor, it can influence the projectiles flight. I've personally noticed changes down range on target when a suppressor cover has slipped enough to go over the aperture of the suppressor. I did not document the specific changes that occurred, so I can't specifically tell you how much groups changed and in what direction from POA, but it did change my groups.

One of my biggest gripes with current suppressor wraps on the market is that they either slip, or they are designed to stay on so well that they are a pain to get back on the suppressor after you slip it back to let the suppressor cool. I'm so close to just making my own suppressor wraps, and I have a couple of cool ideas on how to make give them retention but also make them incredibly user friendly to install and remove. My current suppressor wraps/covers drive me nuts.
    My wife made my latest one for me, <$5 in materials. Felt on the inside, canvas on the outside, and whatever kind of filling that's used in oven mitts. I wrapped it with paracord. It's for my Hybrid 46 that will mainly be used on my 45-70 so it won't likely ever get a high volume test.

Liberty’s Defense makes the Rolls Royce of suppressor covers, and they absolutely are not going anywhere. Very secure and very high temp capable. They ain’t cheap, though, and from a heat capacity standpoint are overkill for what a bolt gun would ever experience.

I’ve been using these for strapping my cover to my can. I think the larger surface helps avoid the “hot spots” you get from the cord being cinched down.

Yeah i have wraps on all of mine and it does help the cover stay in place. I started doing it to keep the ends of the cord from dangling around and used cord wraps which are velcro but a little thinner

I have 3 can chaps after having spent hundreds of dollars on others over the years. To my notion the can chaps are the way to go. They are well designed, easy to install, do a great job of heat mitigation and absolutely do not slip, even on my 300 NM.

I'm confused how a 1.5" + diameter cover would effect the projectile.
    Not doubting Frank or anyone more knowledgeable than me, but can anyone explain how the projectile wouldn't be far past the point of disturbed air?

I'm confused how a 1.5" + diameter cover would effect the projectile.
    Not doubting Frank or anyone more knowledgeable than me, but can anyone explain how the projectile wouldn't be far past the point of disturbed air?
    I don't know but I do know it happens. Of course if it's 1mm, maybe not, get into the 1/4" territory and yes, it definitely will cause shift

Huh. Did not know about the overhang affecting the POI. My Modtac obv never overhangs, nor did my Precision Underground covers. The latter did fall toward the butt when the rifle was placed muzzle up, however. Irritating. Maybe I should contact him for a tighter cover.

Anyway, I think the tuner folks might have another vector (sorry) for sales with this overhanging cover thing. A product that might scientifically verifiably work. (Not saying tuners don’t work! Or that they do! Who TF knows!?)

• Haha
    Reactions: lash and kthomas