• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes You tap a scope?

boltstop

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2010
Colorado, USA
When you guys make a scope adjustment, do you tap on the scope for the adjustment to "take?"

Even with a quality scope I do this. I'm starting to think it's more of a mantra than an actual effort to get the tube to move internally.

"Oommmmmmmm, oh scope you must move up 3 clicks ommmmmmmm!"
grin.gif

Re: You tap a scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they have pills for that. . . . .
wink.gif

i think i have an old DSM for you, and when you figure out whats wrong you can have an old PDR as well. </div></div>

Well I confess I'm a little lost here. DSM? PDR? I usually don't get caught much missing an acronym, but I did only spend two years in active duty.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they have pills for that. . . . .
wink.gif

i think i have an old DSM for you, and when you figure out whats wrong you can have an old PDR as well. </div></div>

Well I confess I'm a little lost here. DSM? PDR? I usually don't get caught much missing an acronym, but I did only spend two years in active duty.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Ha, sorry, unless you were in the med corps it wouldnt have helped.
DSM= diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders
PDR= Physicians desk refrence (specifics about medication uses, dosage, sideffects, etc. . .)

ment if friendly jest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they have pills for that. . . . .
wink.gif

wink.gif
</div></div>

Ha, sorry, unless you were in the med corps it wouldnt have helped.
DSM= diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders
PDR= Physicians desk refrence (specifics about medication uses, dosage, sideffects, etc. . .)

ment if friendly jest. </div></div>

Oh dear God - if you happen to have a copy of the DSM laying around would you kindly ship it to my wife? It might help her understand what's wrong with me.

Then maybe she could tell me.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told in designated marksman shool at fort benning to tap the turrets... been doing it every since. whether it helps or not, i have no idea, but its habbit now and i dont see it going away anytime soon. </div></div>

Better safe than sorry . . .
grin.gif

If you have to tap a scope to make sure it's adjusting right I would look to buy another scope.

I dont tap my scope . but my rifle and me will typically spend some time discussing our shooting for the day before we leave the range we find its easier to talk about before we get back home.

If you have to tap a scope after knobing it, I'd strongly suggest stepping up to a better quality unit.

Nothing like second guessing your gear when your about to shoot paper, steel, table meat, or whatever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have to tap a scope to make sure it's adjusting right I would look to buy another scope. </div></div>

Yeah.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont tap my scope . but my rifle and me will typically spend some time discussing our shooting for the day before we leave the range we find its easier to talk about before we get back home. </div></div>
I usually do that in the car ride home , but to each his own.

The scope tap thing is a bunch of crap. If by tapping your scope the poi moves then what the hell is it going to do under recoil? Stop tapping and if your adjustments dont track , shit can it and buy a good scope. Good luck!

Yep if tapping is required then a new scope is also. A proper scope will require only turning the turrets. Also is you use your reticle the way it is supposed to be used then turning turrets goes away, at least for the most part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have to tap a scope to make sure it's adjusting right I would look to buy another scope. </div></div>

Yeah. </div></div>
yeah.... yeah definitely, yeah..... Jeopardy at 7, underwear from k-mart.... yeah

Back a few years ago I started going Prairie Dog shooting. My budget was tight so I bought a couple of Simmons 44 Mag scopes. With time running short I mounted the scopes and hit the range to zero. One of them was blurry as hell and the focus ring didn't clear it up at all. I rechecked all the screws to make sure nothing was over tight or misaligned but still nothing. I let my temper win and gave the scope a good rap with the screw driver handle. Thats when I heard a real loud twang from the scope. Well guess what? The damn thing cleared up, zeroed and gave me a good scope until I could upgrade a couple of years later. Always stayed in focus and zeroed thru countless trips across country.
But, like the said, if you have to do it then get a better scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"You tap a scope?"

I tap "<span style="font-style: italic">dat ass</span>".....does that help? </div></div>
ha! ha! exactly what I was thinking

Trijicon recommends rapping the side of an ACOG sharply with the palm of your hand after each adjustment to make sure the internal mechanism is seated. Just sayin...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steven58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trijicon recommends rapping the side of an ACOG sharply with the palm of your hand after each adjustment to make sure the internal mechanism is seated. Just sayin... </div></div>

Yep, and not all scopes have target turrets either.

My Dad and Granddad always tapped their hunting scopes when they adjusted them... hell I always thought that's what you were supposed to do!

I don't do it anymore... of course my optics are much better now than those Tasco's we used to hunt with....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told in designated marksman shool at fort benning to tap the turrets... been doing it every since. whether it helps or not, i have no idea, but its habbit now and i dont see it going away anytime soon. </div></div>

Let me quess you were using an ACOG... In the TM for certain ACOG models it states to tap the turrets. All of the newer models do not however.

The only scope I've experienced that would have benefitted from a vigorous tapping is a IOR 6-24X that I owned a few years ago. I found that...when deer hunting in Montana...at 18 degrees F. The scope would hang up after dialing in the new dope. After firing a shot...the scope would change to the new settings. I figure there must have been some thick grease involved....and the cold temps caused a problem.

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told in designated marksman shool at fort benning to tap the turrets... been doing it every since. whether it helps or not, i have no idea, but its habbit now and i dont see it going away anytime soon. </div></div>

Let me quess you were using an ACOG... In the TM for certain ACOG models it states to tap the turrets. All of the newer models do not however. </div></div>

yes it was with an acog

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told in designated marksman shool at fort benning to tap the turrets... been doing it every since. whether it helps or not, i have no idea, but its habbit now and i dont see it going away anytime soon. </div></div>

Let me quess you were using an ACOG... In the TM for certain ACOG models it states to tap the turrets. All of the newer models do not however. </div></div>

yes it was with an acog </div></div>

I figured. This all came about because of how the TM was written. Everyone who goes went through EIB or SDM was taught this.... its pointless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
JACQ said:
I was told in designated marksman shool at fort benning to tap the turrets... been doing it every since. whether it helps or not, i have no idea, but its habbit now and i dont see it going away anytime soon. </div></div>

When in the Marines, we were told to tap the ACOG's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
JACQ said:
I was told in designated marksman shool at fort benning to tap the turrets... been doing it every since. whether it helps or not, i have no idea, but its habbit now and i dont see it going away anytime soon. </div></div>

When in the Marines, we were told to tap the ACOG's. </div></div>

Again, because of the way the TM was written.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcrich</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"You tap a scope?"

I tap "<span style="font-style: italic">dat ass</span>".....does that help? </div></div>
ha! ha! exactly what I was thinking </div></div> After all the above reading then this comment I laughed so hard I got tears. You guys are too much fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
JACQ said:

When in the Marines, we were told to tap the ACOG's. </div></div>

Again, because of the way the TM was written. </div></div>

Yea, I'm not saying either one is right or wrong. Just saying some people were taught that.

Thought it was funny with the RSO's would tell someone when they had a bad group "You didn't tap you're acog did you?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you guys make a scope adjustment, do you tap on the scope for the adjustment to "take?"

Even with a quality scope I do this. I'm starting to think it's more of a mantra than an actual effort to get the tube to move internally.

"Oommmmmmmm, oh scope you must move up 3 clicks ommmmmmmm!"
grin.gif
</div></div>

I do, with an empty 308 case.

I was taught to do so in 1908 by an OLD SCHOOL Marine.

No clue if it make one damn bit of difference.

Its habbit now.

BMT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have to tap a scope after knobing it, I'd strongly suggest stepping up to a better quality unit.
</div></div>Probably the most ambiguously gay post I have read in quite some time!

No offense meant, but read it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">I was taught to do so in 1908 by an OLD SCHOOL Marine.
</span>

BMT </div></div>
That would make you atleast 102 yrs old. interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
confused.gif
probably a typo </div></div>
Im also guessing that this is the case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have to tap a scope to make sure it's adjusting right I would look to buy another scope. </div></div>

That would be my suggestion.

I have heard of it in the past, and I have recommended it to folks who have had problems "chasing zero" when sighting in.

I don't do it because if I find a scope that requires this, it will get replaced.

So, how many times do you tap it and how do you know the adjustment 'took' ?

Step 1: Send scope to the circular file under the sink and next to the garbage disposal.
wink.gif

Step 2: Buy a scope.
grin.gif

I tap all my Leupolds/Weavers whether they have click-adjustments or not. It is not a big deal as some stick and most do not.

If the scope works for the application, I would not worry about replacing because it sticks. Most scopes do not get moved much anyway. The scope on my squirrel rifle has not been moved in 4-5 years. A sticky long range scope is a different situation.

stock-photo-classical-guitar-tuning-pegs-43288.jpg

On guitars to change the pitch of a string with the worm gear tuning peg is loosened and then the string is stretched up to the correct pitch.

If it is done the other way, that is the string loosened down to the correct pitch, the chance of going out of tune sooner is increased.

300px-Elastic_Hysteresis.jpg

This is because there is hysteresis in the system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis

micro-t.gif

No matter how much you pay for a scope, there is hysteresis in the adjustment knobs.

A scope's turrets turn adjusting screws with right hand threads that are pushing on the erector tube. On the other side of the tube there is a spring(s) pushing back.

If the shot is important to me, and I am going to turn the turret counter clockwise for the adjustment, I will turn too far and then go back with clockwise rotation up to the new setting.

That being said, while I can hear the difference in guitars, I have only seen the hysteretic effect once in a scope. It was in brand new Leupold 8.5x25x50 Mark IV scope on a cold morning and I was sighting in. The horizontal was way off and I made the correct correction at the turret by turning counter clockwise just enough. The next hole in the target seemed only half corrected. Then next shot was right on the money, as was the shot after that. The recoil of shooting must have shaken the erector tube over into contact with the adjustment screw.

Well, I for years I saw guys tap on scopes after sighting them in and I thought they were crazy. It's no way I ever thought I'd beat on my scopes. I didn't really for years. Occasionally I'd try to see if it made a difference and it didn't. The adjustments took after just turning the knobs. Never had a problem.

Then, I got a Bushnell on a .22. I went to sight it in and it was shooting about 4" left. I tried to dial it in and the first shot after making adjustments was only about an inch from where the first shot. Then the next was a little further right, then the next was right where I'd adjusted it to. It seemed like it would take about 3 shots after making adjustments for it to settle in. I then tried the tapping on it trick, and found out it worked too. I could tap it and it would take adjustments. Honestly, this scope was a cheap pos, and I agree that it should have been replaced. I ended up buying a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 Tactical for it, but after using it for a bit I decided it was too much power. I then sold it. In the mean time I stuck the cheapo Bushnell 3-9x40 on there. I just tapped it when I was sighting it in, and it seems to work okay as long as you tap it. So I've learned on some crappy scopes you do have to do that. However, I've never had to do it on any quality optics.

I hold wind, but dial elevation. I always approach by dialing up, if I have to dial down I overshoot and dial up. Never heard of hysteresis before, but I have a Bridgeport mill and know about backlash. I have never experimented to see whether it makes a difference or not, but I figure it can't hurt.

Some interesting info here and never heard of it also.

Same as Skunkeye dial up to range never downwards, always have.
Now assuming you have dialled up or whatever, how do you know its going to be right. Tap it, it could go off elsewhere and wont know until the time comes!

After reading this i firmly believe every scope i have ever come across has had hysteresis. Annoyingly this doesnt show up on a box test, theoretically it should.
The reason i am now putting my current scope down to this hysteresis is i borrowed a March a couple of months back and for the first time in years been able to put a good group in without any flyers.

Know about backlash as well.

I sight in several hunting rifles for friends. I tap and dry fire after makeing a big adjustment, alot of the cheaper scopes will hold zero but getting there is a pain. Sometimes when you need a 40 click move you might get 20. I think I will try going more than I need then turning back like the felow Clark talked of on page 1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep if tapping is required then a new scope is also. A proper scope will require only turning the turrets. Also is you use your reticle the way it is supposed to be used then turning turrets goes away, at least for the most part. </div></div>

at what range do you zero your scope for? if i zero at 100 yards id need 26 vertical mills on my reticle to use hold off the reticle vs. turning knobs at 1000 yards..