• Fast is Fine, Accuracy is Final

New tee just dropped. Shop now!

Grab yours

“BARREL MOVEMENT BEFORE THE BULLET EXITS”

Edsel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2013

Bryan Litz’ video was demonstrating how a rifle barrel moves (or perhaps contracts?) by a little bit before the bullet even exits the barrel.

Is the apparent barrel movement:

(1) An artifact due to gases exiting before the bullet

IMG_4187.gif

(2) Secondary to the barrel metal behaving in a fluid state during high impulse, with the muzzle contracting rearwards while the areas proximal to the breech and throat are expanding sideways?

I suspect the latter…

During high impulse events, solids may exhibit properties more akin to liquids.

1727144836229.gif

1727144850663.gif

1727144774242.gif

1727144808558.gif

For instance, a bullet cratering on impact resembles the propagation of a water droplet…

Last edited:
Reactions: Zebulon

1727146971013.gif

Another video suggests that the typically imagined “OBT Harmonics…”

…a phrase I casually throw around despite my really superficial understanding of it all…

…does not occur the way we suppose they do.

1727147009277.gif

Perhaps this model’s a better representation?

Last edited:
Just had an awful flashback…

Harmonics!!!

Oscillation!!!

Frequencies!!!

There was even this “moderator” on another forum claiming that something would “violate the laws of motion…”

Wow!

Brought to you by us bubbas who can’t even spell “muzzle brake” properly :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Just had an awful flashback…

Harmonics!!!

Oscillation!!!

Frequencies!!!

There was even this “moderator” on another forum claiming that something would “violate the laws of motion…”

Wow!

Brought to you by us bubbas who can’t even spell “muzzle brake” properly :ROFLMAO:

It's Muscle Break. Duuurrrr!😁

Regardless of the science at the micro level......there are external influences at the macro level that ultimately decide point of impact.

Over the years, I have seen too many shooters chasing the reloading minutia, while never learning/practicing shooting techniques that have a more substantial improvement on point of impact.

The science is neat to talk about, but lets face it......how much variability is there in barrel steel composition, barrel bore dimensions, barrel bore straightness, bullet jacket composition, bullet size, bullet true balance, environmentals, rifle peripherals, etc.

I look for patterns and trends. In my observation straighter barrels seemmore tolerant in absorbing the above variables. Also, I get measurably better chambers with conventional 4 groove barrels. Super consistant ammo makes tuning or seating depth easier/better. I don't have time to figure out the science.

Ern

Are we really going to get wrapped up in attempting to predict the deflection of a 1.35"-diameter steel rod during the first few milliseconds after firing pin impact when the rifle is being held by a twitchy bag of flesh?

Twitch

Twitch

Twitch

Posting from the range...

Dang, it be gettin' cold 'ere an' there be shrinkage in th' netherplaces!

This is another example of why fools do fools errands “in the name of science!”

Focus on shooting with a bipod and rear bag, off a pack prone or seated, tripod, tree branch, fence post, etc and be a solid 5 shots at 1 MOA at 800-1000 yds shooter.

my old friend Foul Mike would challenge me to shoot paper at 600.
Excellent exercise. Harder than you think.
He never worried about this minutia and very likely took more cold bore 1000 yd shots with first round hits on a target 1 MOA in height and 1/3 MOA in width in a year, than most in their life.

Reactions: 308pirate

Bryan Litz’ video was demonstrating how a rifle barrel moves (or perhaps contracts?) by a little bit before the bullet even exits the barrel.

Is the apparent barrel movement:

(1) An artifact due to gases exiting before the bullet

View attachment 8508908

(2) Secondary to the barrel metal behaving in a fluid state during high impulse, with the muzzle contracting rearwards while the areas proximal to the breech and throat are expanding sideways?

I suspect the latter…

During high impulse events, solids may exhibit properties more akin to liquids.

View attachment 8508915

View attachment 8508916

View attachment 8508913

View attachment 8508914

For instance, a bullet cratering on impact resembles the propagation of a water droplet…

The video is labeled “gun moves back from here” not “barrel moves back from here”. Going by just this I’m pretty sure the video is to demonstrate that the bullet is still in the barrel during recoil. Most people believe the bullet exits the barrel before recoil happens.

Could be wrong though, wouldn’t be the first time😂

Reactions: kthomas and Edsel
The video is labeled “gun moves back from here” not “barrel moves back from here”. Going by just this I’m pretty sure the video is to demonstrate that the bullet is still in the barrel during recoil. Most people believe the bullet exits the barrel before recoil happens.

Could be wrong though, wouldn’t be the first time😂

bomb.gif

Yeah.

Sent a message over to Litz, asking if they had a video of the entire rifle...

Hopefully he'll respond.

It'd be interesting to see if everything moves rearward prior to the bullet exiting, as I've never seen a Bomb Calorimeter move during combustion :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: joetuono
View attachment 8509409

Yeah.

Sent a message over to Litz, asking if they had a video of the entire rifle...

Hopefully he'll respond.

It'd be interesting to see if everything moves rearward prior to the bullet exiting, as I've never seen a Bomb Calorimeter move during combustion :ROFLMAO:

I’m not sure what you’re smoking. But it must be good.

They kind of already do that, except maybe the slo-mo camera part. Benchrest rail gun competitions are fascinating.
ocock08401.jpg

So when I remove the human behind the recoil pad, the error goes away, and when I add the human back in, then we start missing targets. Tells me that an academic exercise on barrel wobulation ain't the priority.

Now, as an engineer, I do find the postulated hypothesis of barrel deflection/distortion plausible and fascinating. There's certainly enough force involved to move things around, these forces reach a peak shortly after start of combustion (when the bullet is barely moving), and we know the barrel moves before the bullet leaves the muzzle because things get screwy if the barrel is not properly floated or pre-loaded. Understanding the deflection would be the first step towards reducing it. But the shooter is still the problem.