• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

185 Juggernaut + Power pro = awsome

Gil P.

Blank
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
I tested some loads today using Berger 185 gr Juggernaut OTM tacticals, Power pro 2000 MR powder, Lapua brass, and CCI 200 primers; I thought I would post my findings.

This powder seems to like to be loaded near max case capacity. My SDs went lower the higher the charge weight I used. I only loaded cases that went up to 47.4 gr so that is where I stopped. 

At 47.4 gr with a 24 inch bartlein I got an average velocity of 2714 fps, and SD of 7. My brass prep involves using the following dies: Redding body, Lee collet and a standard Redding seater die, I use a redding primer pocket uniformer after each firing. I only got minor primer cratering with this load, work up carefully.

The 185 Juggernaut is the easiest bullet ive loaded for, and the velocity with power pro powder is excellent.

I tested some loads today using Berger 185 gr Juggernaut OTM tacticals, Power pro 2000 MR powder, Lapua brass, and CCI 200 primers; I thought I would post my findings.

This powder seems to like to be loaded near max case capacity. My SDs went lower the higher the charge weight I used. I only loaded cases that went up to 47.4 gr so that is where I stopped.Â*

At 47.4 gr with a 24 inch bartlein I got an average velocity of 2714 fps, and SD of 7. My brass prep involves using the following dies: Redding body, Lee collet and a standard Redding seater die, I use a redding primer pocket uniformer after each firing. I only got minor primer cratering with this load, work up carefully.

The 185 Juggernaut is the easiest bullet ive loaded for, and the velocity with power pro powder is excellent.

A note of caution - PP 2000MR is affected by changes in temperature. If you are close to the limit now, make sure you don't use it on a hot day. I have damaged a rifle bolt doing this using a high node worked up on a cold spring day in the middle of summer.

I use PP 2000 MR on several loads and I like it. Meters great, and very dense. I have found that I usually need to spend a little extra effort tuning a load with it, so good for you that you found a winner.

For this 308 Juggernaut load, I've actually been tempted to try this combo. Is your rifle a repeater with AI mags? Do they fit in the mag or are you single loading? What is your COL or base-to-ogive length?

This powder seems to like to be loaded near max case capacity. My SDs went lower the higher the charge weight I used. I only loaded cases that went up to 47.4 gr so that is where I stopped.Â*

Gil P

Sounds like you are shooting 308; what is your barrel twist? A while ago, I ran a few 185 Jug in a custom Remington 700 1-11 twist, 22" barrel, with Varget from 42gr to 44.2gr but it didn't do so well, best was just below moa 100 meters. I heard great thing about this bullet, with 1-10 and 1-11 twist barrels, so not sure why...

Last edited:
47.0gr of 2000MR and the 185gr Berger shoots bugholes in my 308. 2840fps at 80* (this is a 30" tube). 2.95" OAL. Lapua Palma Brass + CCI 41. Sub builder above is right - 2000MR is temp sensitive - I calculate somewhere on the order of 1.3fps per degree.

LCDR what kind of bolt damage did you receive?

Being near max on a cold day and shooting it on a hot day will ruin a case at best but bolt damage? Would like to know more

Yep, cost me $500 get a new one ... lesson learned the hard way.

Attachments

• IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 79
I too, am a fan of 2000-MR and the 185 juggernaut. I had it shooting well with BR-2's, but got some 210m primers recently and really got it to work. I shoot a Rem 5R, and have them running around 2650-2700, with very low SD's. My best was like 3-something.

I did several OCW tests with this combo a year or so ago. I was pretty high up there in charge weights without any pressure signs. In the end decided to stick to a more mild Varget/Jugg combo instead. Not so much wear and tear on gun. Its a .308, not a winmag.

I've been testing 2000-MR in my .308 as well. nothing new to add, as I have been waiting for warm temps in Vegas to do my load development. If you look you'll see that Frank G. shoots the 2000MR + 185 Juggs combo in his .308.

A note of caution - PP 2000MR is affected by changes in temperature. If you are close to the limit now, make sure you don't use it on a hot day. I have damaged a rifle bolt doing this using a high node worked up on a cold spring day in the middle of summer.

I use PP 2000 MR on several loads and I like it. Meters great, and very dense. I have found that I usually need to spend a little extra effort tuning a load with it, so good for you that you found a winner.

For this 308 Juggernaut load, I've actually been tempted to try this combo. Is your rifle a repeater with AI mags? Do they fit in the mag or are you single loading? What is your COL or base-to-ogive length?
.308 caliber
24" barrel
2.855 COAL
11.25 Twist
Loaded in AICS mag. The plate on the front inside of mag has not been removed.

I live in Vegas too, now that it's getting over 110 I want to test a new load. I tested the above loads in February, it was 72 degrees outside.
I'll start at 46.5 gr. My avg velocity was 2686, SD was 12 back then. Maybe that'll improve now that it's hotter.

Tested again today.
104 degrees, 5% humidity
46.5 grains of powder, 2744 fps, SD 10
I went up to 46.8 great, but the bolt lift got harder, fps went up to 2766, SD 10.
Im getting 1.65 fps increase per degree. I'll test it some more, make sure my fps/° always adds up. So far 1.65 is correct across my charge weights.

At 72°, 46.5 gr was 2686 fps.

I've stopped using PP 2000MR recently. It's too temp sensitive. I'm no expert, but I think the powder takes a long time to warm up to ambient temperature. I was at a match and was shooting consistently .2 mil low. The first time I thought maybe my zero was off, I shot the same load with the same fps/° adjustment at another match, and was still consistently low, this was after verifying my drop prior to both matches. I had to leave the cartridges in direct sunlight to heat them up and bring the velocity to what my data said it should be.

I use IMR 4064 with 175 SMKs and always get 1.07 fps/° change. It's always spot on. 2000MR has given me too many headaches.

I'm using Varget with the 185 Juggernaut now. 44.5 gr gets me 2700 fps, give or take, depending on the lot of powder. My most recently purchased Varget only gets me 2685 fps with 44.5 gr.

Gil P

Sounds like you are shooting 308; what is your barrel twist? A while ago, I ran a few 185 Jug in a custom Remington 700 1-11 twist, 22" barrel, with Varget from 42gr to 44.2gr but it didn't do so well, best was just below moa 100 meters. I heard great thing about this bullet, with 1-10 and 1-11 twist barrels, so not sure why...

I know this is late, but you may need to up the charge weight with PP 2000MR. My SDs were lower the higher I went in powder weight. I started at 46.5 gr. 44 gr seems very light. Work up safely.

I know this is late, but you may need to up the charge weight with PP 2000MR. My SDs were lower the higher I went in powder weight. I started at 46.5 gr. 44 gr seems very light. Work up safely.

Thanks Gil; I went with the Berger 175 OTM/Varget, works great! I see we are a few guys from Vegas; you, jeffvn and I, small world.