• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

22 ARC

What bullet, velocity, and barrel length? I have a lot of n140. What’s case fill like compared to varget?
Similar to Varget, some loads are same charge. These are with 80.5’s.

I have some n540 to try next.
IMG_1202.jpeg

Reactions: CA48
Temp was 104*this afternoon. I tested one Hornady case with the 80gr eld at 29.4gr of varget. Got 10 firings and stopped there because I got tired of messing with it. Pocket is still snug and it’s ready for more. Left the gun outside the whole time so the chamber stayed toasty and I could get a better idea of pressures. Case looks fine, one very faint ej mark and that’s it.

Again this was running out of a Ruger Gen II bolt gun 20” bbl
29.4gr- 3020fps 80gr eld-m

Reactions: Black Bart
Temp was 104*this afternoon. I tested one Hornady case with the 80gr eld at 29.4gr of varget. Got 10 firings and stopped there because I got tired of messing with it. Pocket is still snug and it’s ready for more. Left the gun outside the whole time so the chamber stayed toasty and I could get a better idea of pressures. Case looks fine, one very faint ej mark and that’s it.

Again this was running out of a Ruger Gen II bolt gun 20” bbl
29.4gr- 3020fps 80gr eld-m
That’s impressive! That pressure has to be up there pushing it at 3000 too.

That’s impressive! That pressure has to be up there pushing it at 3000 too.
Probably so, but I was only expecting to get about 3xs with that charge. Will start shooting some groups in the 2900 range and see how it does but running it around 3000 is tempting although pressure is probably higher than you want to be running.

Probably so, but I was only expecting to get about 3xs with that charge. Will start shooting some groups in the 2900 range and see how it does but running it around 3000 is tempting although pressure is probably higher than you want to be running.
I will check it tomorrow if I remember. Probably 63k-65k if I took a wild guess lol.

Picked up my Ruger American Gen II 22ARC last week. Vortex DB Tactical 4-16x44 FFP

At 110yds, groups were .7 (88 grain) and .4 (62 grain) Temp 100F @ 4000 fasl, humidity 19%

Will try again next week; I'll load 75 ELD-M this week to test now that I have a few cases.

20" bbl so probably lost 150-200fps(?) over the 24" Hornady uses to test.

Factory 88 ELD-M
Data from Garmin Xero
1725246110086.png

Factory 62 ELD-VT
1725246597351.png

Reactions: Farmerbrown32
Picked up my Ruger American Gen II 22ARC last week. Vortex DB Tactical 4-16x44 FFP

At 110yds, groups were .7 (88 grain) and .4 (62 grain) Temp 100F @ 4000 fasl, humidity 19%

Will try again next week; I'll load 75 ELD-M this week to test now that I have a few cases.

Factory 88 ELD-M
Data from Garmin Xero
View attachment 8492607

Factory 62 ELD-VT
View attachment 8492617
That’s a good start, damn good groups with factory ammo and a factory rifle.

Factory 88 ELD-M
Data from Garmin Xero
View attachment 8492607

Factory 62 ELD-VT
View attachment 8492617
You will probably pick up a few FPS after a few rounds through it. My 20" gas gun picked up an avg 75 fps after 150 rounds through it.

Attachments

• at the range #1.jpg
    at the range #1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Heretic
Y’all are killing me.
I soooo don’t need a Ruger Ranch……. but sooooo want one…..and have soooo many points on my Chase card……

Picked up a complete upper at Midway for $375 with a discount code. It's their AR Stoner brand, so I'll see how it shoots as it breaks in. So far it's shooting the factory 88s around .75 to 1.0" but the impressive thing is the ES and SD. Again, the barrel is speeding up and breaking in but in an 8 shot string the SD was 7.5, which isn't bad for factory ammo. I'm getting some fliers so I'll have to figure that out.

I have some dies on the way so I'll jump down the rabbit hole with you all.

How's the brass life out of a semi auto so far? It doesn't seem to be getting beat up too badly.

For me, I loved running the 75 ELDs out of a bolt gun at 2950 in a 223. Cost effective and a cheap bullet with good ballistics.

Now I can do that in an AR.

I don't know. It's just appealing for me.
I had 75 ELDs up to 3150 in 20" ARC but that bullet has just never been consistent for me in the 4 different cartridges and guns I've tried them in.

I don't own a 22 ARC, no interest in it.
You already have the 223, it takes more pressure, in the AR by design, cheap brass, cheap loaded anmo everywhere.
For small deer I'd prefer the 6mm ARC, where a 22 cal is illegal to hunt big game.
I saw a video where a guy shot 60 coyotes out to 700 yds and many closer ones on a full run hundreds of yds out with 108 ELDM factory ammo...it has pretty impressive killing power on coyotes.
The 6mm ARC would have longer barrel life than the 22 ARC.
One can run pretty hot loads in a 223 bolt gun with longer COAL, and the 223 Ackley version was popular in the Varmint Hunters club yrs ago.
The Cooper Challange.
"Putting 20rds, in a 20 inch circle, in 20 seconds, at 1000 yds", was accomplished with the 223.
My favorite 6mm ARC load in the 18" AR barrel is 108 ELDM at 2667 fps Ave with low S/D, and Leverevolution powder.
It's very accurate in the Proof barreled ARs.
But for light bullets the 6mm ARC leaves something to be desired, in velocity.
So I don't use light bullets in it, mostly 107 SMK, 108 Eldm, 108 Berger, 110 SMK, 112 Barnes, to 115 Dtac.
Then I have a 6 lb AR 10 in 308 with 16" barrel shooting 168 ELDM at 2756 fps, with 1/2" 5 shot group accuracy....easy to carry and fairly good at longer ranges....but I wouldn't use it in a prairie dogs town.

So for general shooting, varmint hunting, these 2 new ARC cartridges don't really offer much over the 223...especially if one goes to longer COAL, and use the BobSled to drop in long cartridges. Or a binary trigger and run over 1000 rounds per minute, for plinking fun, the 223 already does this pretty well, very cheaply, so one can shoot alot.
It's up to the individual, to decide, I like the 6mm ARC because of its accuracy, and performance with heavy bullets is pretty good, for an AR 15.
For close range AR 15 knockdown power, it would be a fast 16 twist barrel in 450 Bushmaster with 500 gr jacketed bullets in large bear country, like Alaska, not a good varmint cailber. But one can make shot shell cartridges for it for small game.

I don't own a 22 ARC, no interest in it.
You already have the 223, it takes more pressure, in the AR by design, cheap brass, cheap loaded anmo everywhere.
For small deer I'd prefer the 6mm ARC, where a 22 cal is illegal to hunt big game.
I saw a video where a guy shot 60 coyotes out to 700 yds and many closer ones on a full run hundreds of yds out with 108 ELDM factory ammo...it has pretty impressive killing power on coyotes.
The 6mm ARC would have longer barrel life than the 22 ARC.
One can run pretty hot loads in a 223 bolt gun with longer COAL, and the 223 Ackley version was popular in the Varmint Hunters club yrs ago.
The Cooper Challange.
"Putting 20rds, in a 20 inch circle, in 20 seconds, at 1000 yds", was accomplished with the 223.
My favorite 6mm ARC load in the 18" AR barrel is 108 ELDM at 2667 fps Ave with low S/D, and Leverevolution powder.
It's very accurate in the Proof barreled ARs.
But for light bullets the 6mm ARC leaves something to be desired, in velocity.
So I don't use light bullets in it, mostly 107 SMK, 108 Eldm, 108 Berger, 110 SMK, 112 Barnes, to 115 Dtac.
Then I have a 6 lb AR 10 in 308 with 16" barrel shooting 168 ELDM at 2756 fps, with 1/2" 5 shot group accuracy....easy to carry and fairly good at longer ranges....but I wouldn't use it in a prairie dogs town.

So for general shooting, varmint hunting, these 2 new ARC cartridges don't really offer much over the 223...especially if one goes to longer COAL, and use the BobSled to drop in long cartridges. Or a binary trigger and run over 1000 rounds per minute, for plinking fun, the 223 already does this pretty well, very cheaply, so one can shoot alot.
It's up to the individual, to decide, I like the 6mm ARC because of its accuracy, and performance with heavy bullets is pretty good, for an AR 15.
For close range AR 15 knockdown power, it would be a fast 16 twist barrel in 450 Bushmaster with 500 gr jacketed bullets in large bear country, like Alaska, not a good varmint cailber. But one can make shot shell cartridges for it for small game.
That's why this really is so subjective. Because I had the 6mm arc and thought....meh.

Reactions: 45-90
That's why this really is so subjective. Because I had the 6mm arc and thought....meh.
You are correct ....imagine the disappointment with my first store bought upper in 6mm ARC. With the Areo Precision upper and a BA barrel with 108 eldm match ammo it shot 2.5" 5 shot groups. Disappointed with the terrible accuracy, I built another with a Proof Research barrel and fired them on the same day with the same ammo. The Proof barrels first 5 shot group was 1/2"....the Areo precision upper shot the same 2.5" group at 100 yds.
Bought another 6mm ARC Proof Research barrel and discarded the Blastic Advantage barrel and rebuilt the Areo upper. It also shoots groups in the .4" to .5" for 5 shots.
So I like it for the accuracy, with Proof barrels.
Fact is, for me, the 6mm ARC would be history if it weren't for the accuracy of the Proof barrels...making it fun to shoot.

Attachments

• 20201229_144508.jpg
    20201229_144508.jpg
    937.3 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: skyrep