• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

224 vs 243 diameter in the next few years

Those are screenshots. Your words. In that thread I called out your bad info and you had to go do some reading so you could backpedal out of your stupid statements with some modicum of self respect.

Your application of the 224v which could be called a bastardization of the round will not fit in a AR length mag, that I agree. The intent of the 224v is performance within that window of the OAL of the AR magazine..... If your going to stretch it out and make it perform in a different capacity then there are probably better options for an AICS magazine, because you are going to be reloading for it regardless at that point.

Your application of the 224v which could be called a bastardization of the round will not fit in a AR length mag, that I agree. The intent of the 224v is performance within that window of the OAL of the AR magazine..... If your going to stretch it out and make it perform in a different capacity then there are probably better options for an AICS magazine, because you are going to be reloading for it regardless at that point.

Im good with my choice. Thanx. :)

Reactions: TxWelder35
Im good with my choice. Thanx. :)
And in the end that's really all that matters....

For the sake of the original post I still stand by my statement that if someone gave .257 some options it would be the next hotness, for years the .264 was the Goldilocks bullet.... That 131gr bullet though...... we need more options like that and the quarter bore will shine.

Reactions: garandman
No. Never ever said 224 cant work in an AR.

It works... just that AR mag length forces the bullet way down into the case mouth.

A 9 year old could figure this out.

What IS your malfunction... other than wanting to argue?

As far as the spread sheet listed on post #34
Your posted speeds for the 130-140g. class bullets is close, but as for the lighter bullets
in the 75-95g your very slow. Most shooting a 22 creed or such are achieving 3400 for the 75's
and I'm at 3300 with a 90g bullet which will add more KE to that chart.
It is hard to argue with a nice big bullet smacking steel compared to lighter one.
Take a 5lb sledge and hit a steel plate and take a light framing hammer and hit the plate faster
you'll hear a difference. Not quite the same, but you get it.

This conversation is in regards to PRS. The velocities you posted are above the speed limits in PRS. So even though you may be able to go that fast, it's not within the rules.

I’ll play
With the mentioned better bullets like 80.5 & 90’s in 224 why don’t most use 223AI or 22-250AI

Standard bolt faces, great brass, outstanding speeds.

I’m really anxious to get regular 223 working so I can move to 223AI and really let her loose.

But I think the strong 6’s like BR, Dasher & BRA are gonna be the mainstay and hopefully 6GT comes out swinging with enough components to satisfy/support the market.

I kind of get what garand is saying in that the 'better' rounds wont fit in the mag but other 'lesser' rounds will.

The problem is garandman is kind of retarded, so all his posts are read with a retard filter.

You get what I'm saying so I'll mark that down as a win.

Your opinion of me is irrelevant to me.

I am somewhat surprised you guys love to talk about me. :) Seems with all your awesomeness you could find better things to do. :)

Btw. ... It is my observation that the kind of person that uses the word "retard" or "retarded " as an insult on the internet is telling us what kind of Human being they are. And it's not a flattering picture. Even the forum software blanks out the word " r***** "

The anonymity of the Internet tends to reveal character.

Your application of the 224v which could be called a bastardization of the round will not fit in a AR length mag, that I agree. The intent of the 224 V.... blah, blah, blah....

Yes let's always stick within the intent of the original cartridge. Let's never develop past 22 rimfire, 308 and 30 odd 6. :)

Shoot... 224 V is itself a "bastardization" ( to use your own terminology) of the 223 M16 / AR15 round.

Lol

What was your point, again?

Last edited:
With 223 I can get the 77’s at 2930 easily, I’d imagine I can get them at 3050-3100 with 223AI. I haven’t played with the 90’s but I’m guessing around 2850?

I figure 22-250AI would be close to creed barrel life, 1500-1700rds.
I did 22-250ai and granted I wasn't shooting heavies but life was more like 800 rounds. Its on a whole different level of throat torching.

Edit they were 800 glorious groundhog exploding rounds though. One of my favorite projects.

Reactions: trophyhunter
With 223 I can get the 77’s at 2930 easily, I’d imagine I can get them at 3050-3100 with 223AI. I haven’t played with the 90’s but I’m guessing around 2850?

I figure 22-250AI would be close to creed barrel life, 1500-1700rds.

I am getting 3025-3035 fps in a Tikka 223 with 75gr ELDM, H4895, CCI450s, factory barrel. The next barrel will be a 7 twist 223AI.

Reactions: trophyhunter
Seems like there is a compromise whichever way it goes. longer bullets have a tendency to be more prone to failure. Juggling fps, BC, barrel life, etc.

After having bullets blow up with my different projects, one being a 20x47L, the Berger 55's worked for 200 and something rounds then the throat was messed up enough that it became chronic. Want to buy my reamer, etc? I imagine not. Fortunately 40vmax works at 4100 fps which is a light load, but for how long??!!

At the same time frame I had started a 17-6.5 Grendel project which I abandoned once I experienced the blow ups in the 20x47.

The Berger 140 hybrids would start blowing up in my 6.5 Saum at 3275 fps at the 9th or 10th shot during the Field Course match I used to go to. Slowed it to the low node and haven't had that problem anymore.

Even with my 7 twist 223AI, with 88's at 2814 fps there'll be a bullet wack out on occasion. I've maintained the throat with JB bore bright, chose a 6 groove barrel to be easier on the bullet, picked the low node, crap, lol. I'm thinking of going down to the 80 grainers now??!!

3 barrels ago, at the end of barrel life in my 6x47L, the 115DTACS were smoking "white smoke trail" about 50Y away from the barrel and wacking out farther away. I went to the 105 hybrid and at the end of barrel life they don't smoke.

Am I just unlucky, maybe a little, but when pushing fps, with longer bullets, look out?!

I love the thought of high BC, high fps, and less wind drift as a concept but am damn tired of associated problems.

These are all reasons I went with 6mmBR this time around and have settled on the 105 hybrid. Just aim a little farther out past 600Y and enjoy crazy small vertical and likewise low SD's with longish barrel life.

I'm just going to stay with 6mmFatRat for the AR, 95smk at 2875 fps is good enough for me.