.243 Win. to 1,400 yards

Brandon05_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Charleston, WV
This is the second time I took my rifle out to 1,400 yards, and the first time I took the Kestrel 4500 out. I’m the type that cares somewhat about barrel life and usually only shoot 5 rounds and let her cool down. Otherwise, groups usually open up. Anyways, I fired 5 shots and seen dust from the rock but couldn’t quite see the impacts because I used white paint on a white sandstone rock…lesson learned. I jumped on the teyrx and made the trip to the target, and this is what I found.

033.jpg

3 shots measured roughly 3.75”
4 shots measured roughly 9.25”
5 shots measured roughly 17.35

Not exactly sub MOA, but I was pretty pumped. It was hotter than hell with hardly any wind, so I called it a day. I couldn’t exactly tell which one was ‘cold bore,’ but I’m pretty sure the lower right impact was it. The last 4 impacts all kicked up dust around the center of the rock.

031.jpg

007.jpg

001.jpg

This was from the previous weekend, but the target is in the small pocket in the trees.

Scope.jpg

Also, from the previous weekend. Left target is the 22”x28” rock, right target is 36”x36” foam board. We shot the foam board a few times to see if the bullet was sideways

8.jpg

Since this pic, I’ve removed the monopod and added the brake.

Rifle Specs:
.243 Win factory barreled action 26”
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MLR HS ZS
Nightforce rings and 20 MOA base
Bell & Carlson A5
Harris 6-9” leg notch, swivel with pod lock
Sinclair Int’l Anti-Cant device
R&D Precision brake
Bolt knob by monteboy84
Trigger tuned to 2.0 lbs by Neil Jones

Load Data:
95 gr SMK, Lapua Brass, CCI BR2, 43.0 gr H4831
2.825" OAL (mag length) Jump was around 0.045"-0.050" during load development
2,940 fps @ 60*F; 2,965 fps @ 80*F

Environmental:
87*F, DA 4,800’, 4-5 mph tailwind, 2-3 mph cross wind (L-R) via Kestrel 4500
Set-up @ 2,405’ ASL, target @ 2,260’ ASL, Target is 22”x28”
Dialed 16.0 mil up and 1.5 mil left
Time of flight 2.5 sec

Re: .243 Win. to 1,400 yards

Thanks everyone for the kind words! This is a reclaimed surface mine from my hometown and where my parents still live. It's a hour and 20 min drive then another 30 mins on a side by side to get there, but it's worth it. Very little flat land in WV.

LVshooter, LOL I didn't even see the fly when I took the pic. I'll have to upgrade to a Hubble brand scope to see it.

fw707, they make great ranges especially from the way the terrain effects the wind. You can never tell what the wind is doing over the valleys.

skinney, do you have a degree in film productions or what?!? You have some great vids. I tried to use my digital camera to tape shooting this. Yeah, 3x zoom didn't do crap...couldn't even see trace. Which camera do you use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even if it is one of those panzy 6mm bullets.</div></div>
^^^ 6mm hater. More like 3/4 assed at 1,200; she's still holding accuracy at that distance.

DHM, thanks man, I appreciate it. It's still an 'un-trued' action with the factory barrel and lug. I learned real quick that barrel likes to be dirty. The bullet isn't ideal at all, neither the velocity, but hell I ain't complaining!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon05_88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
fw707, they make great ranges especially from the way the terrain effects the wind. You can never tell what the wind is doing over the valleys.
</div></div>

Brandon,
the strips are the only places we have to get that kind of yardage.
We shot out to 1070 last week.

008-7.jpg

Pushing the envelope.

I took my surgeon/aics 7.62x39 with 110 bergers out to 900 and 1000y last month. Hit a couple of v-bulls on the f-class target, but wind is a killer. Scope maxed out plus a 2.5mil hold-over to get on target. I think they hit the paper and just fell down in front of the target
wink.gif

Fun though!

Nice pic fw707. Looks like you have some 'hills' there. Just where in KY you at?

Now that's some shooting Flying Dutchman! I've found a spot to shoot to 1,600 yds and my scope will just barely get there without holdovers. I think my round still had 1,050 fps left on it at 1,400 yds. Just how much powder does a 7.62x39 hold?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon05_88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice pic fw707. Looks like you have some 'hills' there. Just where in KY you at?
</div></div>

Yep, hills and hollers where we live.
The picture was taken near Hazard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon05_88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice pic fw707. Looks like you have some 'hills' there. Just where in KY you at?
</div></div>

Yep, hills and hollers where we live.
The picture was taken near Hazard. </div></div>

Why hell I have family in Hazard.

NTK, just keep shooting at shorter distances while keeping a check on the fundamentals, and you'll be suprised how adding another 100-200 yards each time adds up.

Tyler Kemp, yeah, I've got them backed off quite a bit. I shoved one up to 3,280 with 48.0 gr RL22 before I switched powders to H4831. On the first time out, I found a 2.0 grain wide window shooting 0.35" or less with each group's ES less than 20 fps. It just so happened that in the center of that window, a 0.135" group appeared. So, I ran with that and it's velocity. Just how fast are you slinging one, 3,400?

In my 6mm Ackley I was running a 30" barrel and about 3600 fps. I did have a 26" barrel and it was about 3450-3500.

Neither were maxed out, but definitely on the quick end.

Coming from the 5.56 and .308 semi-auto crowd I know next to nothing about .243 so this quite literally shocked me. I just plugged your posted Load Data and environmentals into JBM and got 1380 as the super-sonic threshold so I think much farther and you would have printed a keyhole. But I'm really amazed at the performance here. That is some darn nice shooting and you completely have me second guessing my caliber choice for my build-up. Thanks for that
grin.gif
and ouch I think a new bug just bit me.

Jim, I think you may have entered the DA into the elevation. Use 2,400 for the elevation, and you'll see the round goes subsonic shortly after 1,200 yards. I think that bullet was designed for a 10" twist in mind, and my factory barrel has a 9.125" twist. Add onto that the temperature and it helps the stabilization. The .243 has suprised me too. It has great ballistics for it's size and recoil. Just which caliber are you looking at for a build?

Brandon, you are correct and that explains the discrepancy and also makes the performance even more incredible.

I'm doing my first bolt-action build. For the most part I've been a AR-15 type shooter mostly due to restrictions in range (100 yards) and my sausage fingers finding standard rifle stocks uncomfortable.

Recently joined a 400 yard range which has me taking long (for me) shots at 16" steel plate. Also recently discovered a 1-mile range in Eastern Ohio (Thunder Valley) that is about 1.5 hours away and was the catalyst for wanting to loose my AR laziness and build up a solid bolt gun.

Originally I was going to build up a .308 but discovered last week (borrowed gun) that my fundamentals just aren't there. So I'm backing up to a .223 (low recoil) for 100 yard work until I gain my fundamentals. I'll work up to 400 at my current range. Once I'm comfy there I'll look into a .308 build up and then check out TV.

But now with your post I may just go straight for the .243 build up. Still a bit of researching to do but hope to be well into the build within a month.

@BugInJim

A .22 is the best thing to build fundamentals with. A nice bolt action one will make a good trainer after you've built the centerfire bolt action. That 22 is good for a lil bit past 100 yards also...I shoot mine out to 300 from time to time.

I'm itching to get up to Thunder Valley and shoot myself. They have AR specific shoots...even a short course too. Look them up soon. They also have a wealth of knowledge to help you out.

Biggest draw back with the .243 is barrel life. I'd easily say it's half of what a .308 is good for. Otherwise, it's a flat shooter. One stock I'd suggest is the XLR Industries chassis. Since you're familiar with the AR, the switch would be cake for you.

Keep reading everything on here you can. When you have a question, search for it first...someone may have already asked it. Just try to absorb everything you can and shoot the life out of a 22.

I have a 243AI 1-10 twist which loves the 90 grain Berger bullets. I sling them at approx 3180 with no pressure signs and very little recoil. I have been very happy with it so far. GAP did the work and it's a laser. I would build another one but may change the twist rate to shoot the 105 or 115 bullets.

Top Cat, one of the main reasons I started to reload was to shoot the 105 Amax. When I finally got all the gear, I never could find any. I grabbed some 95's to work up a load and never looked back. My next barrel is leaning against my reloading bench now. Krieger with a twist just for the DTAC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Denial</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bout to build a .243 AI. Was wondering what length,weight,twist, and brand you guys recommend. Wanting to shoot some 105's </div></div>

I've got an 8 twist Brux AI in a 26" Varmint contour on the way.
I'm hoping it'll shoot the 105 A-Max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Denial</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bout to build a .243 AI. Was wondering what length,weight,twist, and brand you guys recommend. Wanting to shoot some 105's </div></div>

I've got an 8 twist Brux AI in a 26" Varmint contour on the way.
I'm hoping it'll shoot the 105 A-Max.</div></div>
It will shoot 115 DTACs beautifully

Tray, thanks man. I personally haven't reied anything heavier than the 95 SMK. There are quite a few who use the 105 A-max with the factory barrel.

vprtoad, it does get ugly. I would shoot early in the morning to avoid mirage as much as possible. The way the terrain is at this place, most wind is from 5-7 o'clock so that helps too.

Brandon,
Totaly AWESOME shooting! I shot a Ruger #1B 243 Win. for 20 some odd years and I wasn't afraid to shoot it as far as I could (Varmint Hunting) I had got out of hunting and shooting for 10 years. And then a friend brought me some Gun Mags to read and that lit the fire again.
I have built a 243WSSM on a AR platform and I am still trying to find that sweet spot! I wished I had place like your to shoot!!
Keep up the AWESOME shooting.
Greg

Hows that factory barrel shoot at more "reasonable" ranges and how many rounds through it?

I've been thinking of getting one......

well done btw

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

rrflyer, it's shooting pretty good if you ask me. I have just under 1,350 rounds down mine. Last weekend, I shot a 3 shot 1/4" center to center group. Just today I was shooting at eggs at 400 yards. I took 8 shots to bust 6 eggs. The first shot I was 0.1 mil low, after that I only missed 1 of the next 7 shots. An egg is roughly 2" x 2.5", so I consider an egg 1/2 MOA at 400. To have a 75% hit ratio on 1/2 MOA targets with over 1,300 rounds down a factory tube, I'd definately consider one. You can sling a 105 A-max with the factory tube also.

how do you like the bc stock , was thinking of one myself. we have just found a place to play out to 850yds, so far I've range steel at 500 , not 1400 but a start. my little 223 really wanders in the wind.

I really liked it. I started with an A2, then switched to an A5 before I switched to a McMillan A5. The B&C A5 is solid but heavy. It's a nice fully adjustable stock for the price.

thats awsome to hear, I would have never thought but that just goes to show if you dont try you will never know. I just finished my build of a 260rem with a hart barrel, and shot a 3 shot group of .130 doing barrel break in. Once you have a rifle that shoots that well nothing over that is ever good enough.