3 boxes FGMM, different packaging. 2 diff printed Velocity

D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷

Banned x2 🤪
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
Yuma, AZ
Prob already covered but my google’fu is weak today.

I’ve got some 168gn 308w FGMM

I noticed 3 different packages. Then noticed the white/blk box lists vel: 2,600fps while the other 2 list vel: 2,650fps

Any insight is appreciated

IMG_6319.jpeg

IMG_6318.jpeg

IMG_6320.jpeg

Maybe they were guessing on the oldest box and finally bought a chronograph?

Could be a number of reasons.
We haven't seen any real velocity difference during any of the transitions.
Packaging might be reflecting something as simple as a change in the barrel length used to calc the MV.

Maybe they were guessing on the oldest box and finally bought a chronograph?

Could be a number of reasons.
We haven't seen any real velocity difference during any of the transitions.
Packaging might be reflecting something as simple as a change in the barrel length used to calc the MV.
There’s some dogshit covid production floating around in the fancy gold boxes though. And also single digit SD lots. Can’t tell which is which.

There’s some dogshit covid production floating around in the fancy gold boxes though. And also single digit SD lots. Can’t tell which is which.
For sure.
I have a case and a half of the old white and navy blue GM308M that has crazy pressure problems. It has been stored perfectly but Fed says the issue is from age deterioration. I'm saying nope. blowing primers and even getting some gas excursions from pin holes in the web of the case points to a crappy run of brass or similar.

Regardless of that, I'm a Federal whore. Love the stuff and we still see more QC issues from Hornady than all the other brands combined.

For sure.
I have a case and a half of the old white and navy blue GM308M that has crazy pressure problems. It has been stored perfectly but Fed says the issue is from age deterioration. I'm saying nope. blowing primers and even getting some gas excursions from pin holes in the web of the case points to a crappy run of brass or similar.

Regardless of that, I'm a Federal whore. Love the stuff and we still see more QC issues from Hornady than all the other brands combined.
+100 on the Hornady QC.

As a 204 shooter I don’t have tons of factory options. My 40gr SuperPerformance Vmax is usually 150-200fps ES and 35-40 SD.

I’m no reloader but that doesn’t seem great to me.

• Wow
Reactions: Terry Cross
For sure.

Could be nitro separation and the nitro is starting to crystallize. Ive seen it on old munitions but the date range and storage conditions were longer and worse. It wouldn't be enough to detonate like old grenades but might be enough to cause pressure issues and large es swings.

Could be nitro separation and the nitro is starting to crystallize. Ive seen it on old munitions but the date range and storage conditions were longer and worse. It wouldn't be enough to detonate like old grenades but might be enough to cause pressure issues and large es swings.
Don't think that is it.

Ammo stored in climate controlled conditions and only transport vibration was initial delivery. No moisture. No light. etc.

Pulled 2 rounds and powder showed no obvious signs of breakdown.

Hell, we've shot 30-06 and 45 ACP ammo that is 80yrs old and stuff runs like a sewing machine with decent numbers!

we still see more QC issues from Hornady than all the other brands combined.
They're putting out some real junk these days. Had a lot where the body of the cases weren't properly sized. Had to slam the stuff in to get the bolt closed. And no, the chamber was clean as a whistle...well, until I scraped brass off these cases and needed to clean that out.

Oh...and this was their 6.5 ELD-M...supposedly match ammo. Wow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Cross
Don't think that is it.

Ammo stored in climate controlled conditions and only transport vibration was initial delivery. No moisture. No light. etc.

Pulled 2 rounds and powder showed no obvious signs of breakdown.

Hell, we've shot 30-06 and 45 ACP ammo that is 80yrs old and stuff runs like a sewing machine with decent numbers!
Just throwing out ideas. I have a ton of the Greek 3006 ammo in tins from the 50 from the cmp. It still shoots great but I never ran across a chrono to confirm. Just refinished one of my garands last week...need to take her out and bang some steel.

+100 on the Hornady QC.

As a 204 shooter I don’t have tons of factory options. My 40gr SuperPerformance Vmax is usually 150-200fps ES and 35-40 SD.

I’m no reloader but that doesn’t seem great to me.
RE: Hornady so-called “SuperPerformance” Vmax 40gr in 204 Ruger out of a Tikka with a nice 22” Bugholes Mueller barrel.

Here’s the chrono from tonight. 💩
6CB3C690-4366-40FE-BEEA-4282FB18663F.jpeg

Hard to know if the groups are me or the ammo…

My older cache of the stuff is better than this. Not leaps and bounds better, but this newer stuff is really crap. And the older stuff I have has been driven/vibrated all over the place.

Last edited: