308 AR10 Build Info/Picture Thread

Looks sensational. How does it shoot and how is the weight?

I also oddly enough keep hearing phenomenal reviews about PSA's sabre trigger. Given that it's only $80 i'm tempted to try one.
Everything in that photo is 17.0lbs, empty magazine. I do have a set of weights that add another 12oz, making it a lot more stable from a bag.

It shoots great, a little rough on brass but I’m only shooting hornady 1x or factory ammo out of it. Zero issues with feeding, extraction, or ejection ( +1.5 gas block at factory setting) using the TBAC Dominus.

The factory trigger was nice, but I’m a 2-stage guy, and the MBT is awesome for the price. It is “duty style”, heavy and definitive, with a tactile reset…not unlike the AI triggers I’m used to.

Reactions: jumrobe
5# 5ozs, 308win 20", smoke comp stock/grip, Tennessee lower, roam magnesium upper, brigand cf handguard, v7 titanuim bcg/brake and light weight pivot/takedown pins/chargehandle/safety, slr Ti gas block & tt trigger.

possible optic will be as it will stay under 6# and maybe just under 5# 12ozs

View attachment 8453405

Dang! That’s light, especially with that barrel. Not a knock, use what works for your needs, but why a red dot with a 20” barrel? Or I guess another way to put it “Why so much barrel for something with just a red dot?”

Again, if that works for you, cool. Genuinely curious.

- - -

And BTW, your gun looks like my light(ish) weight AR10 (pencil profile 16” barrel, and a lot of V7, Smoke Composites, etc.), and my uber-light no tax stamp AR15 build (also with a 16” barrel) had a baby that grew up to be bigger than dad! 😆

i-C6GDf3m-X4.jpg

i-rxQtp9x-X4.jpg

…sub 4# with a loaded mag and red dot:

i-b9f9tHC-X4.jpg

Dang! That’s light, especially with that barrel. Not a knock, use what works for your needs, but why a red dot with a 20” barrel? Or I guess another way to put it “Why so much barrel for something with just a red dot?”

Again, if that works for you, cool. Genuinely curious.

- - -

And BTW, your gun looks like my light(ish) weight AR10 (pencil profile 16” barrel, and a lot of V7, Smoke Composites, etc.), and my uber-light no tax stamp AR15 build (also with a 16” barrel) had a baby that grew up to be bigger than dad! 😆

i-C6GDf3m-X4.jpg

i-rxQtp9x-X4.jpg

…sub 4# with a loaded mag and red dot:

i-b9f9tHC-X4.jpg
It's a 5x optic which will get me to almost 900 yards with the right bullet according to ballistics. I'll probably won't shoot that far, but never know? I just wanted the 10" for velocity.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
It's a 5x optic which will get me to almost 900 yards with the right bullet according to ballistics. I'll probably won't shoot that far, but never know? I just wanted the 10" for velocity.
That’s pretty cool actually! I knew they made a 3x, but wasn’t tracking on the 5x sight.

I’ve actually been very impressed with the crispness of their dots, durability, and ability to hold zero with their advanced (higher end) red dots. I have them on a couple of the ranch rifles, and often recommend them to friends/family who want a red dot but don’t want to spend Eotech or Aimpoint money.

I only have one of their OG 1x micro prism sights with the ACSS “Cyclops” reticle on a PCC, and it works well for my needs. It’s used primarily as a longer-range tool that takes the same mags as the G21 I usually carry on the ranch, but don’t have enough rounds through that platform yet to say it’s a keeper.

i-sJs36HD-X4.jpg

Would love to get a report down the road on long-term reliability of yours; especially on a heavier caliber rifle.

Also @Top O' Texas what BUIS are you running? Kind of look like Bobro, but can’t quite make ‘em out in your pic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Top O' Texas
That’s pretty cool actually! I knew they made a 3x, but wasn’t tracking on the 5x sight.

I’ve actually been very impressed with the crispness of their dots, durability, and ability to hold zero with their advanced (higher end) red dots. I have them on a couple of the ranch rifles, and often recommend them to friends/family who want a red dot but don’t want to spend Eotech or Aimpoint money.

I only have one of their OG 1x micro prism sights with the ACSS “Cyclops” reticle on a PCC, and it works well for my needs. It’s used primarily as a longer-range tool that takes the same mags as the G21 I usually carry on the ranch, but don’t have enough rounds through that platform yet to say it’s a keeper.

i-sJs36HD-X4.jpg

Would love to get a report down the road on long-term reliability of yours; especially on a heavier caliber rifle.

Also @Top O' Texas what BUIS are you running? Kind of look like Bobro, but can’t quite make ‘em out in your pic.
if you're referring to post 1,040 it's an ultradyne and the rear only has windage adjustment, but the front has wind and elevation adjustments.

gave a test run on my AR6.5PRC build and it went well, but could've been better. shot 2 rounds, ejected @ 1-2 oclock, shot 2 more after 5 more clicks out, shot 2 more with fully out and still ejected at the same as 1st 4. opened up the upper and checked the buffer.........i had a 9.5oz rifle buffer that caused this. i'll either install a standard weight rifle buffer and/or take another lower and use carbine between 3.5-4.5oz. brass looked good and ammo used was factory norma 143 golden target match which was great, cause the mag (larue) accepted the length @ 2.860". norma must've made them for short action lengths. no other factory 6.5PRC ammo to compare with as some could be for xm length mags?

gave a test run on my AR6.5PRC build and it went well, but could've been better. shot 2 rounds, ejected @ 1-2 oclock, shot 2 more after 5 more clicks out, shot 2 more with fully out and still ejected at the same as 1st 4. opened up the upper and checked the buffer.........i had a 9.5oz rifle buffer that caused this. i'll either install a standard weight rifle buffer and/or take another lower and use carbine between 3.5-4.5oz. brass looked good and ammo used was factory norma 143 golden target match which was great, cause the mag (larue) accepted the length @ 2.860". norma must've made them for short action lengths. no other factory 6.5PRC ammo to compare with as some could be for xm length mags?
You need less gas to bring the ejection pattern around to 3-4. not more. 1-2 is over gas or undermass.

Closing/choking it off (ie, reducing flow/pressure) it will short stroke.
I apologize, missed the PRC part whoops.

Have you posted build specifics for this in another thread?

What I said is generally correct, but 6.5 PRC is a bigger case. Tuning per ejection pattern with the PRC could be misleading.

The only scenarios I’ve seen that fit your description:
1. Gas port on the small side = unresponsive gas adjustment.
2. Gas tube short not enough engagement in gas key.
3. Short dwell timing i.e. long gas system combined with shortish barrel. For #3 I’d agree, reducing buffer/carrier mass is what I would try.

I apologize, missed the PRC part whoops.

Have you posted build specifics for this in another thread?

What I said is generally correct, but 6.5 PRC is a bigger case. Tuning per ejection pattern with the PRC could be misleading.

The only scenarios I’ve seen that fit your description:
1. Gas port on the small side = unresponsive gas adjustment.
2. Gas tube short not enough engagement in gas key.
3. Short dwell timing i.e. long gas system combined with shortish barrel. For #3 I’d agree, reducing buffer/carrier mass is what I would try.
Build specs

McGowen 8t 22" hbar +2 gas (gas port appx .100"
KAK magnum upper
Aero lower
KAK magnum bcg
Odin adjustable block
Rifle length buffer/tune w/KAK 9.5oz rifle buffer
Mil-spec buffer spring
Timney 3# trigger
Ultradyne brake
Diamondhead handguard
Athlon 1-10x28 Helos BTR Gen2
Burris QD optic mount
L) 7/08rem
R) 6.5PRC

Attachments

• 20230801_074615.jpg
    20230801_074615.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 34
Build specs

McGowen 8t 22" hbar +2 gas (gas port appx .100"
KAK magnum upper
Aero lower
KAK magnum bcg
Odin adjustable block
Rifle length buffer/tune w/KAK 9.5oz rifle buffer
Mil-spec buffer spring
Timney 3# trigger
Ultradyne brake
Diamondhead handguard
Athlon 1-10x28 Helos BTR Gen2
Burris QD optic mount
L) 7/08rem
R) 6.5PRC
I would check gas tube engagement for sure. Should land about middle of the cam pin cut out in upper.

Not all +2" gas tubes are the same.

Both barrels below are RL + 2" & yet tubes are not the same.

IMG_7294.jpg

I would check gas tube engagement for sure. Should land about middle of the cam pin cut out in upper.

Not all +2" gas tubes are the same.

Both barrels below are RL + 2" & yet tubes are not the same.

View attachment 8481738
straightjacket and rainier........WOW

i knew armalite and wilson had their own interpretation of rifle length, but never experience that issue with the barrel i've bought. everything lines-up (gas port to gas block, gas tube to gas key) and headspace checks out as i have go, no-go for every cartridge i shoot (takes that issue out of the equation). i've built a fair share of ar's (50+), so not new to them and stick with brands i trust and never let me down. many things are checked before assembly.

Reactions: 357Max
also i had the 9.5oz buffer in case of over pressuring being a magnum cartridge and 1st experience with a short mag in the ar platform. i had some in .473" rim that ruined the firing pin due to op'ing (243win), so didn't want that mistake again. i have a 7saum with same gas port size and gas length (different brands of barrels), so this is a learning curve with short mag ar's.

I can go be poor elsewhere, but I had to give this thing a try. It’s the PSA Sabre 10. I added the PRI Gasbuster CH, Harris bipod with QD mount, which is Lowlight’s all time favorite, a PA ACSS DMR scope, and the Surefire can. Only 40 rounds of M80 ball through it so far but not one failure and ejected at exactly 3 o’clock into a nice, neat little pile. I was able to keep it right at about 2 MOA at 100yds which is good for me because I’m not that good of a shot.

IMG_0056_Original.jpeg

IMG_0063_Original.jpeg

IMG_0060_Original.jpeg

IMG_0059_Original.jpeg

IMG_0058_Original.jpeg

IMG_0055_Original.jpeg

Seekins SPX Builder's Kit; custom Cerakote color Accuracy International Dark Earth; 22" Rock Creek SS 5R cut rifle barrel by Craddock Precision; SLR SL8 0.875" adjustable gas block; OSS/HUXWRX 7.62 muzzle brake, an amazingly effective yet not obnoxious muzzle device; Geissele 7.62 Super Charging Handle (SCH); JP Full Mass Operationg System (FMOS) bolt carrier group with High Pressure Bolt (a must with the 6.5 CM); TriggerTech Diamond trigger, set to 2 LB, riding on V7 titanium fire control pins; Seekins ambi safety; BCM MK 2 lower receiver extension with H3 buffer and JP polished recoil spring; Hogue oversize pistol grip; BCM SOPMOD buttstock; Magpul 20-RD magazine.

IMG_5061.jpeg
IMG_5063.jpeg
IMG_5068.jpeg
IMG_5067.jpeg

This is becoming a favorite of mine for all around use and still holding good precision. Started as a lighter weight hunting build with a Proof CF 16” barrel that was a hammer, but that barrel hated a suppressor. So I fell back on a RA Ultramatch for the heavy flutes to help with weight that’s becoming my go to rifle now.

• Holosun 509t green mrds
  • A10 suppressor
  • Adm delta 20 moa mount
  • 16” Ultramatch
  • Superlative gas block .750
  • Geissele SD-E trigger
  • B5 Precision-
  • Fab defense FDE bi pod
  • Cmmg zeroed mk3 lpk
  • Lmt mws buffer system
  • Warhammer FDE charging handle
  • BCM qd sling mount
  • GroveTec Sling
  • Magpul K2+ FDE grip
  • FDE dust cover
  • Ggp AR10 builder kit OD green
  • RCA bcg
  • Trijicon 3-18 Tenmile
  • Ariska offset and plate

DE8A74DF-736A-429B-8CEC-299874C7D2F5.jpeg
E7580470-0DBD-4840-911D-DA5896819A0F.jpeg

i have that same barrel and it shoots great. what recoil parts (and weights) are you using?
when shooting i used factory hornady 123sst and amax ammo. shot once then shot a second time, thought i missed so went and checked and found that the 2nd shot was almost exactly in the 1st (just slightly oval). that cbi barrel is a keeper for sure!

Reactions: PovertyStateArmorer
when shooting i used factory hornady 123sst and amax ammo. shot once then shot a second time, thought i missed so went and checked and found that the 2nd shot was almost exactly in the 1st (just slightly oval). that cbi barrel is a keeper for sure!
I am using a KAK Industry BCG and the standard PSA buffer but I have an adjustable gas block up front that I tuned to give just enough gas to hold open on an empty mag. Muzzle Brake is an AR-Stoner. I was using Hornady 130gr ELD Match the picture is with RL15 and I have a batch with Varget I need to test as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-18 203437.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-18 203437.png
    526.9 KB · Views: 20
i have that same barrel and it shoots great. what recoil parts (and weights) are you using?
Also, one thing I wound up doing was putting some shims between the barrel and the upper receiver to get the feed ramps a little closer. Used an Aero Precision Barrel Shim Kit LR-308; they managed to go behind the index pin without me having to cut them like I have seen in some videos.

I am using a KAK Industry BCG and the standard PSA buffer but I have an adjustable gas block up front that I tuned to give just enough gas to hold open on an empty mag. Muzzle Brake is an AR-Stoner. I was using Hornady 130gr ELD Match the picture is with RL15 and I have a batch with Varget I need to test as well.
so far only factory ammo in all of my ar 6.5creeds. in the ar 260rem i shoot the 130edl-m match ammo as there wasn't any 123's at the time.

Reactions: PovertyStateArmorer