• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

$5k for a new bolt gun

$4900 for a Remington 700... Somebody needs their head examined.

Edit: just looked at it again. Doesn't even have a magazine bottom metal. So...

$600 for a trued Remington action
$600 for a custom tube and install
$850 for a non adjustable McMillan and bedding
$400 for the paint and texture job
$150 for thread and thread protector
$250 for a nice floor plate BM.

That's $2850... What do you get for the other $2k that another builder can't do?

^ Wisdom here.

My Barnard target rifle cost substantially less than $4900 with top of the line everything - bartlien 30", 3 way adjustable masterclass laminate stock, etc, all from well-known, experienced smiths. And that's starting with a $1400 action. People pay too much for "tactical" rifles if you ask me. Do the legwork yourself and save a ton.

I say a GAP with the great bartlien BBL. I like a manners T5 with a PSS/Sendero 20"er with threads/flutes myself with the new V2 Templar (V1 is great too) Bottom metal of your choice. 20 MOA rail and a tuned remmy trigger. You will have a great shooter that will have great resale value. If you decide on a different cartridge down the line they can spin you up a new bbl and your set. You dime, your time, your choice.

Good luck

If i had 5k to put into a rifle i'd get an AI AT and put the other 1500$ into a ERS or towards a Mark 6, Razor Gen II, or some other good optic. Maybe an HDMR and another barrel.

Last edited:
Ya would definitely be doing an AI AT myself, don't know what the wait would be but get a folder in 308, and get a 6.5 barrel for when you figure out that the 6.5 CM is the new 308, as has been said. Then you can switch the barrel out for only $800 and keep the 308 around if you want it! ( I will always have one or two 308's around.)

If you want a typical style Bolt rifle in your $5K price range, I would go with the new AT w/ a folding stock. If you are open to something a little different, I think the Desert Tech SRS is a great gun for the money. I have been using an SRS for a few years and really like it. Being able to go from .243 to .338 LM in the same chassis is pretty sweet. I wish that AI would have put together a long action AT rifle as there is a pretty significant price jump from the AT to the AX338MC. There is a very high probability that one of the new AI rifles will find a home in my personal collection this year.

I have been a Premier Dealer for DT for a few years and am also looking forward to carrying the new AI rifles this spring too.

I like the saying that the 6.5 CM is the new .308. The .308 has its place, but after shooting a .260 (ballistic twin to the 6.5 CM) for a few years, my .308 has not seen much range time. The 6.5's are just so much easier to shoot in less than ideal conditions. The great thing about the new AT is that for another $800 or so, you can have another caliber for the same platform that shares the .308 bolt face and similar overall length (22 CM, 22-250, .220 Swift, 6 CM, .243, 6X47, .260, 6.5 CM, 6.5X47, 7-08, etc.). It would be really nice if AI would come out with a magnum bolt for the AT for use with the SAUM cartridges.